[Video Tutorials] How to Make TF2 Maps

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Resources' started by Crash, Apr 25, 2015.

1. ExtraCheesyPie

ExtraCheesyPie L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    All my maps are terrible anyways lol, I can just hope to release one thats decent and build off that

2. SC PL

aa SC PL local shitposter

Positive Ratings:
    Mine is nice detailed but they VERY TINY

3. Xi.Cynx

aa Xi.Cynx Former Alias: †Blade†

Positive Ratings:
    I know this is quite the bump, but I wanted to thank you for doing these! I was out of the game for a few years and needed a nice refresher. While it was a bit fast, because I had the basic knowledge stuffed away, I understood and was able to follow along. Do you plan on adding anything more advanced in the future by chance?

Possible topics to go over:
    • Displacements
    • Advanced Triggers (Dynamic props changing on cap, forward spawns killing enemy teams in them upon team change, etc)
    • Advanced CP_Steel Style Logic
    • Attempting to create a new game mode and what goes into making sure you can succeed.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  4. Hyperion

aa Hyperion L16: Grid Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think this serie is for beginners who want to try their hands at mapping. If they find mapping interesting then they can follow other tutorials/read wiki. Therefor I dont think Crash should make complex stuff, like steel logic or gamemode/logic tutorials

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, this series is more of a quick start guide. I'm going to cover some detailing topics next chapter, and displacements will definitely be part of it, but I think game mode stuff is about wrapped up now.

But happy I helped get you started again! :)

6. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
  7. ics

aa ics http://ics-base.net

Positive Ratings:
    Maybe i should have a look at these vids too. I might learn something new. Then again, couple of times over the years i've felt like an idiot when i've learned something new that was right there and i just couldn't see/knew it.

8. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    "Just be sure to clean all this up before you publish anything"

@Crash you know player models are removed by vbsp right? Because they don't have $staticprop vbsp just throws them out, so there's no need to remove playermodels :/

9. Fruity Snacks

aa Fruity Snacks Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    It's still messy in the .vmf. I almost always took them out when I was done with them.

10. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    I don't think there's any part of making a tf2 map where a player-scale reference isn't useful. From first blocking out to final details, they're always useful.
    If you really want to be neat, put them in a visgroup and hide them. Waaaay less time consuming than putting them in, taking them out, putting them back, taking them out again, etc ad nauseam.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Lol I knew someone was going to say something about that. Yes I know. But since I referenced placing regular props, it was more simple and concise this way than explaining both parts. "Keep organized and neat" isn't a bad habit to instill.

12. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    I try to work in some of the more obscure tips I wished I knew when I started. I know of a few examples of veteran mappers learning a few things from my series already, so I bet there might be at least one little trick you could benefit from buried in here!

13. zahndah

aa zahndah professional letter

Positive Ratings:
    We are talking about YM here...

14. MaccyF

aa MaccyF Notoriously Unreliable

Positive Ratings:

15. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    Great video, VERY pertinent to the horde of new mappers we have lately since the biggest issue I see with most new maps is scaling.

I always have a visgroup in my maps that I call "scaleRef." In it, I have player models and sentry gun models (as prop_static so even if I forget to hide the visgroup, they don't get compiled). Usually I go with sniper, heavy, and/or pyro. Sniper models are great for checking sniper deck visibility. Creating this visgroup is the first thing I do after making the first brush.

For sentries, I set the fade distance to 1024/1024. Then whenever I select the sentry model, I can see the coverage that a sentry in that spot will have in a nice little bubble.

Glad you mentioned the VDC wiki in that vid. Sometimes I will set fade distances on a scout.mdl to his jump height (320 hu) to make sure scouts are able to access places I want them to be able to go. You can also do this for movement speed if you like, but I find it better to compile and actually time how long it takes for each class.

Finally, this vid is actually worth a watch. It was made for CSGO mapping, but making your first layout like this -- eg, no walls, just floors and timing how long it takes each class to get to points of interest -- is a really good way of getting scaling right. It's useful to modify it for TF2 by add planned height variation to the floor sections.

http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/c...-top-down-layout-to-bsp-block-in-workflow.php

• Useful Useful x 3
  16. Davekillerish

aa Davekillerish The 80s Vegetable

Positive Ratings:
    Any chance you could make those into a prefab? Like the TF2 Doors prefab set in ABS?

17. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    I guess I could, but it's pretty simple to set up. Just make a new visgroup, add the models you want for scale reference. Don't think you really need a prefab. Plus the important part is using visgroups, and I'm not clear if visgroups carry over from a prefab.

18. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Do prefabs keep custom visgroups??

19. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    I almost specifically mentioned this, but chose to leave it out for simplicity's sake. I already felt like the episode was a bit disjointed with a lot of little tips. But, it's mentioned in Grazr's guide, so at least it's out there. It is a super handy way of doing it, though! The scout fade is a neat idea, too! Thanks!

20. R4Y

R4Y L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    i like u UEAKcrash this tutorial have helped me and others continue doing that AND GIVE A TUT ABOUT CP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!