The Gun Mettle Update is (Actually) Here!

TyeZenneth

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2014
How would they choose? By themselves? Or by community vote?
Berry just said by community vote, which would mean it would inevitably be Borneo since people have had bad first impressions with Suijin and Snowplow.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Berry just said by community vote, which would mean it would inevitably be Borneo since people have had bad first impressions with Suijin and Snowplow.

I missed that, whoops.

Fair point. It would be a popularity vote for the most part, but really, thats kind of okay in this situation, I would think.

Dec 28, 2014
Just saw this.

As far as I know, this is how Valve work with their mysterious ways of darkness and gloom (the happy darkness and gloom). They'll collect all the data they need, then make a decision. It's a bit of a weird way to do things because the industry, as a whole (I feel) is moving more towards transparency... so it's becoming a little bit of a weird policy. Based on my previous emails with 'em, I figured that this was the case, but was trying to see if there was more.

It's how they want to do things, so they do it. Can disagree if you want, but it is currently their policy.

(Hi Valve).

Yeah Valve marches to the beat of their own drummer. Sometimes it works out great, other times not and you just can't figure out why they made a certain decision.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Yeah Valve marches to the beat of their own drummer. Sometimes it works out great, other times not and you just can't figure out why they made a certain decision.

Will be honest, I read that as Peter Capaldi's Doctor. Thanks to your avatar.

But yea, it's not necessarily bad. They'll adapt and make good decisions. Hopefully. Feedback, hooo.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I felt Scorpio raised an excellent point before regarding players being able to reward map makers without having to buy a $6 item. Being able to direct 99c to someone via stamps is nice, because any player that enjoys your work can choose when to support you and how much to spend. He makes a solid argument.

I feel like to legitimize a map like that would basically require Valve buying it though. It seems unclear on if they'll ever do that again.

Not sure what to say about concerns over install size. Removing some older maps from the initial download might help, but it seems wrong to do that. I don't want someone to have to remove "This map ships in TF2" from their portfolio. Yes, even for Watchtower.

Is 16GB considered a lot of space for a gaming computer? Is this such a problem?

Last edited:

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
The biggest upside to them not officializing every map is that they can take more risks and run experimental maps to see how they pan out. If they decide to just feature them, I can see a lot of interesting stuff getting played. Plus, more mappers getting rewarded.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
The biggest upside to them not officializing every map is that they can take more risks and run experimental maps to see how they pan out. If they decide to just feature them, I can see a lot of interesting stuff getting played. Plus, more mappers getting rewarded.

This I think, besides the whole system and money itself, is the biggest upswing of the whole update. It's kind of promoting doing weird experimental stuff. If it's popular and works, then awesomesauce.

Jethro

MUSty Complainer
Nov 2, 2009
I think personally I'd be all right with them not officializing every map from now on, if they also started like, permanently adding assets from some maps.

Like the Japan props from koth_suijin, or the trees from Borneo. I mean, let's say arena_backlot gets in the next campaign. I'm sure a lot of people would like to see the assets from the Construction pack in the game officially, like they did with the Swamp pack years ago. I mean, I know they probably can't be plugged into the Workshop system as easily as maps and cosmetics, but for the sake of making it easier for mappers to release and then get their maps played... being able to massively reduce filesize via having props from a pack like Construction or Japan already in the game would be really good, in my opinion.

Dec 28, 2014

Yeah Borneo would probably be the clear winner, it was on a poll on reddit a few days ago.

Having the community vote for just one map is pretty cruel though, since that means a large amount of people are going to loose the poll and not going to get their favorite map in the game. The same thing sort of happened with the Torment Tides of Numenera kickstarter, the developers allowed kickstarter backers to vote if the combat system would be turn based or real time with pause and the vote was very close and made some of the people who lost the vote unhappy.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
[I meant to post this like two pages ago so it might not even be relevant at this point]

What if maps were available as free DLC when the operation ends? It would keep the initial download down, and still keep the maps in the game. This is, of course, assuming that Valve purchases the maps at the end of the operation. I also don't know what the logistical difficulty of making this work would be.

As for the maps, I haven't really gotten much gameplay on them since the update shipped (although I have played on the three custom maps pre-update). That said, I think they're at the same level (or higher) than the maps already in the game.

It's entirely possible that, given another month or two, people are gonna start getting sick of some of the maps. I'd wait a while before making any calls about what maps are and aren't worth keeping in the game, if that call even needs to be made.

Dec 28, 2014
Honestly I don't see file size/download size of TF2 being an issue, Valve doesn't have a problem having 1000+ cosmetic items in the game taking up a bunch of space and a 3 maps, even ones with custom assets, aren't going to take up that much space in the grand scheme of things.

Plus many PC games these days have a much larger file/download size then TF2.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
How is that fair?

EDIT: missed a few posts, fairness is in response to berry suggesting only one stays and the community vote.

Back to original post:

Honestly I'm struggling to see how removing something is even a possibility.
You either commit to regular featuring of workshop maps and do it regularly and consistently and let everyone know that it will continue (not like the stupid bi-monthly comic that's more like once per decade) If that's what's happening it has to be regular

If they can't promise to that kind of regular featuring, then they should remain permanently added.

Last edited:

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
What if maps were available as free DLC when the operation ends? It would keep the initial download down, and still keep the maps in the game. This is, of course, assuming that Valve purchases the maps at the end of the operation. I also don't know what the logistical difficulty of making this work would be.

I really like this free DLC idea. What happens if a new player downloads the base game then tries to join a server running one of the DLC maps? Does it say "stop, go back and download this wonderful free DLC"? Or does Steam automatically say "You need the Gun Mettle Free DLC to play on this server. Download now/Download later"? Or does it say quietly "Updating TF2"?

And would that open up the potential for shifty servers to "fake" a DLC download to get someone to open an exe?

Or maybe it becomes a new option in quickplay, to only pick servers that correspond to the DLC.

Honestly I'm struggling to see how removing something is even a possibility.
You either commit to regular featuring of workshop maps and do it regularly and consistently and let everyone know that it will continue (not like the stupid bi-monthly comic that's more like once per decade) If that's what's happening it has to be regular

If they can't promise to that kind of regular featuring, then they should remain permanently added.

This is really important. It needs to at the very least be an annual reliable thing like Halloween or Smissmass.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I really like this free DLC idea. What happens if a new player downloads the base game then tries to join a server running one of the DLC maps? Does it say "stop, go back and download this wonderful free DLC"? Or does Steam automatically say "You need the Gun Mettle Free DLC to play on this server. Download now/Download later"? Or does it say quietly "Updating TF2"?
Why can't it just download the maps as normal?

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Why can't it just download the maps as normal?

Well, sure, if you want to be all SIMPLE about it. Sheesh.

Also, aren't all the existing maps currently not compressed with the new bsp method? How much space would that save I wonder if all the old maps were packed down. Only the payload maps that were recently updated were compressed with the new method.

Empyre

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 8, 2011
If they compress all the maps, then the update would have to include all the maps, and even compressed, that would be a huge update. As I understand it, they are compressing them bit by bit. Every time they update a map, they will compress it.