The Gun Mettle Update is (Actually) Here!

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Valve are ok with custom gamemodes as long as they're understandable and fun. Haarp falls into that category definitely, do the other maps you listed have twists on their gamemodes?

Biggest problem with haarp imho is that it isn't visually up to standard. nearly, but not quite.

It was back in the day, but now it's not. Might not hurt to give it a pass.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
No, they're fairly standard as far as gamemode goes.

Snowycoast has two "wait for gates to open" points and the spaceship at the end, but pl_barnblitz already did the wait-to-push thing (and pl_thundermountain with the bridge in the 1st stage).

Arctic is a pretty standard koth map. It's actually been awhile since I played stoneyridge, but I don't remember any twists aside from the bomb dropping and wrecking the wooden scaffolding when you capped the last point.

I really enjoyed Haarp when I played it, and the bright, snowy mountainside aesthetic contrasts well with snowycoast/arctic/stoneridge's nighttime snow. In fact, I'm probably going overboard with snowy night in my selections here, heh.

[Edit] I may rethink my theme here a little... I'm concerned people will get fatigued if they're going from one dark snowy map to another in a rotation.

Last edited:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Haarp is so cool, but it always had gameplay issues and apparently demoknights are a big problem (both with A/D CTF and I think the second stage of Haarp?). Spud has said over and over that he doesn't want to work on it or convert it to CP, but... maybe you could bug him one last time?

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
I had an idea for an australian one with Rust, Uplands and Keikoku.

Themeing is there, just got to put 'em all together.

Upland takes place in the Grand Canyon, and Australia in-universe is a high-tech utopia.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
People on facepunch have been dabbling with skins. Atm it involves replacing one of the existing ones, but it doesn't look complicated at all. Basically just a texture.

You heard it here first folks: the new skins are "just a texture". Never mind all the blending trickery to simulate wear. It's not like the skins take several thousand lines of items schema to define.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
You heard it here first folks: the new skins are "just a texture". Never mind all the blending trickery to simulate wear. It's not like the skins take several thousand lines of items schema to define.

Yes, each skin IS just a texture. You can find them in materials/patterns. Looks like some of the wear & tear is in there as well, but we don't have to worry about that as far as new content goes since the existing will work fine for new skins, too. The alpha in the weapons will carry over (probably why australium weapons are showing wear now).

It's like you're purposely misreading my post in an attempt to be smug or something instead of adding to the conversation? I dunno. Quite strange.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Oh, I did see those textures. Even posted them on reddit to great acclaim. But they aren't the whole story, far from it. As I mentioned, the item schema defines a complex setup to build textures at runtime using several textures.

I can't confirm it, but I imagine that the skins are done using the same advanced system as used in CS:GO. I watched a talk about how complicated that system is. I wish that I had saved the link.

You claim that all of this can be reused. I am not sure, but I am inclined to agree.

Jethro

MUSty Complainer
Nov 2, 2009
Oh, I did see those textures. Even posted them on reddit to great acclaim. But they aren't the whole story, far from it. As I mentioned, the item schema defines a complex setup to build textures at runtime using several textures.

I can't confirm it, but I imagine that the skins are done using the same advanced system as used in CS:GO. I watched a talk about how complicated that system is. I wish that I had saved the link.

You claim that all of this can be reused. I am not sure, but I am inclined to agree.

Seeing as people have already made skin mods by simply replacing one of the skin textures, I'm implied to agree that this can easily be reused. Wear and tear on a skin is weapon specific.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
If a team were to create a set of skins for a community campaign the process for us would be:
  • Plan & concept (paint over weapon screenshots etc)
  • Author tiling textures
  • Modify existing decorated weapon to trial our textures
  • Decide what we like
  • Make note of it for Valve to add properly

It's a less than ideal solution, but if Valve were interested in a team's community campaign, they'd be willing to work with us on skins I'm sure.

If you're interested in setting up a community campaign though I think the key components you'd want are: ~3 themed maps, an SFM short or comic, mission outlines for those maps, skins themed to match map/SFM/comic.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Didn't Rexy make some of the models in Haarp? The desktop computers and such. Those would all need to be patched out before Valve could pay any money for it.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Fill me on here, why would Rexy be a problem?

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Fill me on here, why would Rexy be a problem?

If I recall correctly, he works at a game company that has a non-compete agreement and so can't accept income for new projects from Valve... or something along those lines.