The Gun Mettle Update is (Actually) Here!

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
Good point, Empyre. I was going to suggest that Valve could have our clients repack the maps as part of an update, but that might introduce slight variations in the files and produce incompatibility errors when connecting to a server.

Valve could provide a couple of repacked maps each time they release an update. Updates can happen once per week, sometimes. They seem to be less frequent when the team are working on something significant.

I think Snowplow and Suijin might be a bit of an exception, when it comes to judging the amount of hard drive space used by future maps. Snowplow is a massive map and its filesize is 122MB. Suijin has a lot of custom assets packed inside, and it comes to 44MB, but half of that size is made up by its compressed packed assets. Suijin is the poster map for the Japan pack, and 44MB is not that much. Borneo is a measly 24MB.

In total that's about 180MB. It doesn't sound like much, each quarter or twice per year, to add on to the total size of the game. If Valve repack a couple of maps each update, they will have repacked all of them by the end of a year, and they could save around 1.6GB of drive space. Plenty of space for more maps, and more weapon skins should there be future collections.

I think, for the sake of preventing disappointment and confusion, keeping the featured maps included in the game is a safe action. But that does raise the question of supporting them with stamps. That's not really something many people can have an opinion on.

The end of the Gun Mettle campaign could be an ideal time for Valve to direct significant attention to the map workshop. Valve might also be able to appease the concerns of third-party server operators by making the server browser a bit more intuitive for inexperienced players and revealing the presence of so-called custom servers by making the option to connect to them a bit more exposed. If we are to select maps from the workshop then it's important that as many people get to use it as possible (EDIT: and it's important that it all works properly. Valve take note).

Last edited:

Tumby

aa
May 12, 2013
Plenty of space for more maps, and more weapon skins should there be future collections.

The folder containing all the patterns is 358 MB. I used vpk.exe to see what the compression rate is at, and it's non existent. Makes sense as all the textures are already DXT compressed.
That means if we take your 1.6 GB estimate and assume that new skins wont re-use old textures, we have enough space for 4 operations.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Even more if you start hunting for space. I'd like to remind everyone that by merely removing all the HL2 voice lines, they can reclaim an entire GB.

Mar 23, 2013
Even more if you start hunting for space. I'd like to remind everyone that by merely removing all the HL2 voice lines, they can reclaim an entire GB.

But Valve seems to never remove even the most useless sounds and textures. I guess maybe because they might be used in custom maps?

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
But Valve seems to never remove even the most useless sounds and textures. I guess maybe because they might be used in custom maps?

It's not like that content can't be packed into a map anyway. Hell, I'd have them remove the HL2 sounds just because then we can actually find TF2 sounds in the sound browser.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
It's not like that content can't be packed into a map anyway. Hell, I'd have them remove the HL2 sounds just because then we can actually find TF2 sounds in the sound browser.

Several HL2 sounds, like wind and water and atmospherics, are used in some of the official soundscapes. It's not like people are going, "wtf, man, that water doesn't sound stylized enough to be TF2 themed."

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Henke did say "voice clips"; presumably that's not even including the sound effects.

Personally I'd strip out all the Half-Life assets that Valve isn't actively using and let the bad custom maps adapt or die. Either that or switch to a system where all Source 2009 games can read assets from Half-Life 2's own game files (remember, Steam still forces you to store them in the same SteamApps location so it's not like it wouldn't know where they are), so at least people who have both games can still play those maps.

As for this repacking thing, I wonder how much it reduces loading times. Not by a lot, I'd guess, since it still has to check what assets the map uses and then load them up, but it'd be interesting to do some experiments. Games like Black Mesa and Portal 2 could particularly benefit from reduced loading times.

Oct 6, 2008
Hey there's a contest idea - TF2 using only HL or Portal Textures :)

Dec 28, 2014
Well it's been over a month since the Gun Mettle update and I'm guessing payments have gone out for the campaign passes. Since Y__M has gotten maps in the game before this I would be wondering if you would be willing to comment on how the payments are for the passes compared to Valve buying the maps + map stamps payments? Have they been better or worse?

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Well it's been over a month since the Gun Mettle update and I'm guessing payments have gone out for the campaign passes. Since Y__M has gotten maps in the game before this I would be wondering if you would be willing to comment on how the payments are for the passes compared to Valve buying the maps + map stamps payments? Have they been better or worse?

We have not yet received payment. We'll get money at the end of the campaign, as per the statement they made when they asked if we wanted to participate.

We don't know the percent portion that we're getting, but if it's equal to that of a normal buyout + a year or two of stamps, we got an extremely small sliver of the profits, to the point where it's laughable. If we're assuming (roughly) that we're getting the same portion of sales that say, modelers get for keys we're looking at... well a lot. This is, however, 100% speculation, estimation and assumption and should not, at all, be considered fact. (You could, however, make the estimate yourself, if you knew where to look for numbers).

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I'm sure we've already told you bluth, they're not deciding what to give us until after gunmettle is over.

EDIT: I should refresh threads after typing a long reply to another

Dec 28, 2014
If you guys did post about that before I totally forgot, sorry about that. I know they are going to stop selling the campaign passes during the last month so potentially you're about a month away from finding out how much you make, unless they decided to wait for the end of the campaign instead of waiting for the end of selling campaign passes.

Seeing as how Valve hasn't decided if they are going to make these maps official yet maybe they haven't decided what % to pay out and and waiting to see how the sales are before deciding.