An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
itll definitely be a good entry point to get people into competitive tho

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
No it will not be. At the beginning ranks of CS:GO lurk many a blatant cheater / smurf, and with how easy it is to get cheats for this game and it's free to play aspect, it will be worse. Hell if things go the way of the common idiot and the comp mode is free, watch as LMAObox is seen a LOT.
Just. Watch.

For instance, if I was a very high rank (which, not to brag, I would be for my region) I could make a new account right now and dunk newbies who just started playing the comp mode, pushing them further away from comp by the way of an unstoppable sniper.

Uncuepa

aa
Oct 25, 2014
No it will not be. At the beginning ranks of CS:GO lurk many a blatant cheater / smurf, and with how easy it is to get cheats for this game and it's free to play aspect, it will be worse. Hell if things go the way of the common idiot and the comp mode is free, watch as LMAObox is seen a LOT.
Just. Watch.

For instance, if I was a very high rank (which, not to brag, I would be for my region) I could make a new account right now and dunk newbies who just started playing the comp mode, pushing them further away from comp by the way of an unstoppable sniper.

Pretty sure they are using a pass system as the few screenshots of the menu for MM have had a 'beta ticket' thing.

I hope that MM isnt the sole future for TF2 as it is CS:GO. I played a lot of source and the biggest issue I find playing CS:GO is the lock in mentality of comp. I prefer the drop in/drop out nature of pubs for a game as high skill as CS. TF2 could suffer the same fate. Weapon bans exist because some weapons don't work well in a balanced, competitive environment and if MM is how Valve are going to determine weapon balance we could see some of the most fun "fuck around weapons" disappear and turn into yet another downgrade of stock. TF2 remains a light hearted, high skill, diverse game and although it has come a long way since 2007 it is still Team Fortress 2. Please don't let it fall into a snobby, cesspool of over-competitive dicks further than it already has. #PubServersMatter

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Also the whole "quest log" thing was in reference to contracts.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Just. Watch.
I remember hearing about this "LMAObox" thing years ago; how the hell is a cheat still working this much later? Does Valve just not care about patching out security holes anymore or is this one of those things that's physically impossible to stop?

Qersojan

L2: Junior Member
Sep 27, 2015
Waw this thread is off topic. I guess we can just rename the thread to "Engi VS Spi was replaced with Gun Mettle, so Lets talk about match making." lel

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
Waw this thread is off topic. I guess we can just rename the thread to "Engi VS Spi was replaced with Gun Mettle, so Lets talk about match making." lel
That's exactly how casual human conversation works.

I remember hearing about this "LMAObox" thing years ago; how the hell is a cheat still working this much later? Does Valve just not care about patching out security holes anymore or is this one of those things that's physically impossible to stop?
It's possible to stop the same way world peace is possible. Only for a short while.

Qersojan

L2: Junior Member
Sep 27, 2015
That's exactly how casual human conversation works.

It's possible to stop the same way world peace is possible. Only for a short while.

Ik its how conversation flows, but it might be convenient if someone can change the title, so we dont have new people who didnt read the whole thing just talking about the engi vs spi update out of nowhere.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Why not just update VAC to the codec used in CS:GO?

Uncuepa

aa
Oct 25, 2014
Why not just update VAC to the codec used in CS:GO?

:) that's cute

EDIT: Preventing hacks is a massive undertaking and takes a long time to perfect, and with each patch breaking a hack you can count on people taking the challenge to hack it again. It's a constant battle between script kiddy and game dev. You cannot just copy-paste another games AC and have it work perfectly. CSGO isn't completely hack free either. What we have to rely on is Valve sticking to breaking these hacks and also rely on MM being behind a paywall to deter zealous hackers.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
There was plenty of proof to back up a Spy vs Engi WAR update.

1. In regards to SourceMod plugins, a new "holiday" was added to TF2 and it was discovered via its addition to the "tf2.inc" file:
Code:
public const TFHoliday:TFHoliday_SpyVsEngyWar;
I've tried forcing this "holiday" on but nothing happens. Pretty much unused at this point.

2. There was an addition in the End of the Line update to a sounds TXT file for a "Speed pad" which was thought to be a new Engineer building (I discovered that line and figured it was a new Engi building due to its placement in the file and labelling)

3. Numerous function names in the game's code were prefixed with SpyVsEngyWar including a kill tracker similar to the Soldier/Demo WAR.

Then Gun Mettle came out and a lot of function names pertaining to the War were changed/removed leading everyone to believe that the Spy/Engy war was just a front for the Gun Mettle update.

That, and the weapon case names refer to the Spy and Engineer ("Concealed Killer" for example being the Spy).
Ah, fair enough. I'm a little dubious about the speed pad thing though, it could just as easily have been an early function of the jump pads seen in Warehouse.

Dec 28, 2014
I actually think some of the Spy vs Engie content will come out eventually, though maybe not in the Spy vs Engie format (like some of the weapons in a separate update). Valve has been working on at least the Spy portion of the update for a long time. Back in August 2013 a Valve employee leaked that they were working on a Spy and MVM update and posted a screenshot of what appears to be an early killstreak effect. Of course the MVM/Killstreak effect went on to be part of the Two Cities update and we didn't get our first hint of Spy vs Engie until last 2014 so this kinda gives you an idea of how long Valve will spend on developing content.

Who knows how many iterations some of the Spy stuff went though. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Gun Mettle balance changes for the Spy and Engie classes came along because of work on the Spy vs Engie update.