Rename Map Workshop to something else

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by worMatty, Jun 5, 2015.

1. worMatty

aa worMatty Repacking Evangelist

Positive Ratings:
    Greets.

Now that Valve have launched the map workshop for TF2, I think it would be wise to rename the map workshop forum so that the two won't be mixed up. For regular TF2maps users, the context is likely to be obvious in most discussion, but for people who are unfamiliar with the organisation, we must ensure that we communicate things clearly. We are a web site that's dedicated to the education of people enthusiastic about TF2 level design and the promotion of their work. We have a much more important public role to play, now that the casual TF2 user will have access to a wealth of custom maps inside his Steam browser window.

Matty

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Vincent

aa Vincent 🔨 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi 🔨

Positive Ratings:
    What would you propose for a new name?

All I have is Map Factory.

3. Zed

aa Zed Certified Most Crunk™

Positive Ratings:
    "Map Workshop (Not the Steam one!)"

4. worMatty

aa worMatty Repacking Evangelist

Positive Ratings:
    I haven't given any thought to alternatives. I thought I'd leave that to other people. Map Factory sounds good. Perhaps others also have suggestions?

5. Ynders

aa Ynders absolutely gormful

Positive Ratings:
    "Work in Progress Maps/(WiP Maps)"
    "In-Development Maps"
    "Incomplete Maps"
    "Maps in Progress"

6. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    "Community Maps"

7. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    "Alfonso".

8. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    I really don't think there will be an issue with the workshop name. There's been no confusion over the past few years when we would talk about the map workshop, don't think there will be an issue now.

• Thanks Thanks x 6
  9. Fantasma

aa Fantasma

Positive Ratings:
    I semi think there will be a problem, in a conversation if you say "It's in the map workshop" it could lead to confusion.

it's a small nuisance that could probably be ignored, but I don't see the harm in doing it. For now I'm just gonna call it the "TF2maps map workshop"

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. UKCS-Alias

aa UKCS-Alias Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?

Positive Ratings:
    Except at that time the workshop mainly refered to this one. And it will probably shift to the valve one since its now considered the real workshop.

A rename isnt such a bad idea and i think "Community Maps" as Ms. Mudpie suggested is a good one. And maybe some other suggestion: "Map development"

Workshop is the best name for what it does however, so maybe a simple rename as "TF2M workshop" could be enough. Or just what ZeNewDragon said :p

11. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    The way I see it, and this is just my opinion, if you're going to be talking outside of TF2Maps about posting your map somewhere, you're going be saying "Oh, just put your maps on TF2Maps.net" and not "Oh, just it put on the workshop of TF2Maps.net." So if the differentiation is there. It's either "Post it on TF2Maps.net" or "Post it on the workshop."

I'm not against changing it, just providing some input.

12. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Maps Under Production

Then you can say "put up a mup thread" or "mup it" and eventually it will become muppet and then we'll have imps and muppets and nobody will have a damn clue what we are smoking.

• Thanks Thanks x 12
  13. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    They already do.

14. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    We're slowly creating our own fantasy universe.

15. Bunbun

aa Bunbun Gay sex slave

Positive Ratings:
    I think we're asking for too much here.

16. wareya

wareya L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    +1 Map Factory

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Zed

aa Zed Certified Most Crunk™

Positive Ratings:
    What do you mean? Muppets are perfectly reasonable.

18. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    I'd for muppets.

19. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    I'm in favor of "maps in progress" or something similar. The actual Workshop is closer in function to our featured map gallery than anything else, now, since the community at large is going to expect at least beta-level quality out of a community map — whereas maybe half the maps posted in our little subforum never make it out of alpha.

I remember that our own Map Workshop didn't get its name until after people had started speculating about an official Workshop for maps and saying what a good idea it would be, and I remember thinking that must have been on purpose. At the time I shrugged it off, figuring that was the closest thing we were ever likely to get. I've already forgotten what the map posting subforum was even called before the split; I guess it doesn't matter much.