On water levels, would this be a good idea or no?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by MoonFox, Jan 24, 2016.

1. MoonFox

MoonFox L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    with my recent play through of Soma (by Frictional games), and watching Uncuepa's (I hope I spelled that write) weekly critique video. Something was asked inside my head... why not a near pitch black map set at the bottom of the ocean.
    Now for limitations its going to be bad for anyone trying to play on it because low/no lighting from the skybox. And given the theme, may be harder than normal to execute.

edit: the question was that how would you be in this area, would you be able to view around you outside, or just be limited to everything inside

suggestions, changes or other ideas? I'm open to any form of criticism.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  2. Hyperion

aa Hyperion L16: Grid Member

Positive Ratings:
    Not sure what I should write, there really was no question...

If you think about detailing a map like SOMA then why not. Just make a map first

3. Dr. Orange

Dr. Orange L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Wouldn't this be as easy as first making a fully indoor map, and then put a water overlay outside the windows?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. MoonFox

Positive Ratings:
    I think I need to make the edit on what the question is... but Dr. orange basically answered part of it... yea probably that'd be it.

5. Another Bad Pun

Server Staff Another Bad Pun over my dead body

Positive Ratings:
    A map set under the ocean sounds cool, but if it's too dark to play on (or even just slightly dark tbh) it will be received poorly here. Personally I would love to a see a map in this environment as long as there is enough light.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dr. Orange

Positive Ratings:
  7. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    lol

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. MoonFox

Positive Ratings:
    every map has its dynamic, for example in 2fort, its industry versus farming (I guess?). So the next question would be is the mode type

9. MoonFox

Positive Ratings:
    Dr., I know about Hadal, that is what got me thinking... but no, I'm talking pure abyss.

10. Dr. Orange

Positive Ratings:
    Like out in the water? Sourounded by water? The map is covered in water? Water in TF2 is a little like salt. If you have a little of it, everythings fine. Take to much, and things starts to fail. Cover everything in it: doesn't work at all.

11. MoonFox

Positive Ratings:
    its under water, surrounded by it, because they are so deep, they would be only able to view distant lights, and maybe anything close enough to the structure to be illuminated by inside

12. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    So the whole map is literally pitch black? Or you can only see players' silhouettes against the not-pitch-black water outside? No, I don't think people would appreciate that. I mean, it might be interesting as a niche map the same way stuff like Prophunt found an audience, but definitely not something you'd pitch to the general public.

13. MoonFox

Positive Ratings:
    nonononono, I'm talking the world inside is well lit, the world outside is pitch or near pitch black

14. HolySnickerPuffs

aa HolySnickerPuffs Bad at TF2, Loves Mapping For TF2

Positive Ratings:
    Honestly, that's nearly every single Red Vs Blu fight, as farming and industrial is each team aesthetic.

15. RodionJenga

RodionJenga L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    If the actual play area is well lit (more well lit than some parts of soma) there shouldn't be a problem with the out of bounds areas being abyssmal water or deep space or a pool of lava or anything, really. Whether a black void is interesting to a player is something else entirely

16. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure all the night maps have poorly lit out-of-bounds areas already; it's a good way to keep them from being distracting.

17. MoonFox

Positive Ratings:
    what's up with the redirect errors going around the site... Making it near impossible to access from my phone... So... Yea I am still getting together some architecture... This site has been buggy, maybe it's just me... But hasn't anyone else noticed to failure of the site for messaging and traversing