CP Mineworks

Geit

💜 I probably broke it 💜
aa
May 28, 2009
Let's just stop talking about it and leave it at this:

It's a lot easier to see something stupid in Underworks than Shaftworks.

The only reason you really think about it is because it's been pointed out, but Underworks just sounds ridiculously too similar to: Underwear

And it's over all a better sounding name.

Case closed. Topic over. Bring in the f***in' tanks, I won! :3

You know in most of the world shaft is slang for a dick, right? That thing that underwear covers? That thing which is undoubtedly worse for your map to be assosicated with? And then you went and made it worse by appending "Works"?! I'm all for a bit of shaft working, but deary me it's a dumb name if you're trying to escape immature jokes.

You could probably get away with using just Shaft - the name hasn't been used since 2008: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=2878

If you're just going for silly names though, may I suggest Undershaft?

Last edited:

Pdan4

Still trying to add
aa
Nov 25, 2013
I think you should just name it Shaftbuttes. Not butts, but buttes.

Mar 23, 2010
i would like undershaft if it were a rainy, sweaty map. but no, shaftworks owns

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Alright, I'll take Mineworks. I'll change that soon.

But in my defense, never in my entire life have I heard shaft used in that context.

This was a long an immature conversation over something that didn't need to and shouldn't have happened.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Actually, honesty time: I was being a little mellow on how I thought it was relatable to underwear.

What I was REALLY concerned about was it being related to reproductive organs.

Bull

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 30, 2011
I vote for cp_shlongworks next!

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Well hey, mine works.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Okay, so, I looked at the feedback, and saw that there were 51 comments :D

Then I actually looked at it. About 45 of them were basically this:

-Map is cramped, scale it up.

It's unfortunately not as simple as scale it up. Here are the 3 options:

1: Spend 2 weeks trying to tediously make the map bigger, and even then have horrible gameplay issues that need to be ironed out for another 2 weeks.
2: Remake the map from scratch. Which I know I won't be able to do to my liking.
3: Abandon the map altogether.

Needless to say, I don't like any of those 3. SO... I tacked on a fourth:

4: Make the map less cramped and more fun to play while limiting basic layout outline.

And that's the one I chose.

So, A7 :)

RubbishyUser

L7: Fancy Member
Feb 17, 2013
Yeaaah, that's what happened to Octagon. I'm afraid number 4 didn't work for me. Number 1 is the only real candidate here - but the good news is that it won't take nearly that long to rebuild. You've learnt a lot about the map and mapping in general since a1, and I reckon it'll take a quarter of the time.

Hang in there though!

chemelia

yndersn't
aa
May 11, 2014
Please don't try to do number 4, that's what happened to Deciduous. You just get a crazy amount of alphas, and a lot of hate. Just expand the layout framework while you're still in somewhat early versions, and haven't detailed or anything yet.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Please don't try to do number 4, that's what happened to Deciduous. You just get a crazy amount of alphas, and a lot of hate. Just expand the layout framework while you're still in somewhat early versions, and haven't detailed or anything yet.

Limiting being the key word. I'll do it a little bit where it's most necessary, but some places are REALLY hard to do.

However I'm confident that with the changes I made, it won't feel as cramped and, you know, bat sh*t crazy.

EDIT: That being said, if it comes to and I can't fix the map anymore and I have to abandon it (which will be very hard to bring myself to do) I have a side project that I've just started working on that maybe I can go to instead.

Last edited:

Dr. Sasha

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 5, 2013
If you don't abandon this, please have better lighting. Ex. Colour, angle, shadow controller, etc.

Good lighting can make any map look good, and can influence the player's opinion of the map.