ARENA Donald

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Maybe there could be a bed and breakfast overlay, and when you enter the building there's a landlady with a collection of taxidermied animals who gives you poisoned tea and proceeds to stuff you like she has all of her other guests...

Sorry. Forgot where I was going with that.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Neat. But how is that building a hotel? Where is this place that somebody would need a hotel?
The map is set in a village, if that helps. Maybe I should specify that in the description, haha.

Wow, that looks great! I really like the bright environment, it's very cheerful. The doors on the platforms above the points are sort of bugging me though. Who would put a door there, and for what reason?
They lead to the balconies. Incidentally, I had a few ideas for the balconies and the rooms beside them that for some reason I didn't use. Oh well, maybe next time.

EDIT: WHOOPS I misunderstood. They're meant to be broken off the hinges. I might get rid of them though.

Just off of the second screenshot I've found a couple things you should probably touch up/fix. they're incredibly minor but i don't have the time to go and take pics of the bigger issues so eh here you go

IFA3bx2.jpg

Red circles: you know what these are. Every single person who's ever used this prop does

Orange ropes: suggested detail improvement. wires from the lightswitch across to the lights

Yellow line: suggested place where you should probably add a bit of wooden trim to obfuscate the texture seams where the rooves meet.

Pink rectangle: your tires are clipping into the wood trim on the wall.

might go through the map and pick more things out who knows. probably don't have the time for that though so gg this is probably all I'll have the time to muster up
Many thanks! Although, eheh, I don't actually know what you mean with the spawndoor prop...

Oh, and I probably ought to point out that I'm pretty new to detailing to this degree, so it'll probably look a little off while I get the hang of it.

Last edited:

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
Well it's fairly easy to tell what's wrong with the prop. The little winch that is sticking out from every one of those door props needs to be supported by something, it can't just be floating in midair. I see it in pretty much every and any map that uses these props at one point or another. It's not a difficult fix

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
If Valve would just make an all-in-one door prop that doesn't have the winch in it...

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
There are spawndoor props that don't have the winch, but one of the doors in that screenshot uses the animated spawndoor prop that doesn't have a winch-less counterpart, so I'll have to find a way around it. I might just go with Viaduct's solution:

pRZ2J8y.jpg

I might also steal the multiple-beams-on-the-roof idea as well.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
upppppppppppdate

indoor3456.jpg

b2:
* more detailing
* clipping in the spawnrooms
* added some out-of-bounds rooms
* optimisation

I've also made the description a little more, er, descriptive. The name "Donald" might be here to stay, although I might adapt it into something a little different (like I did with Sally Valley).

Last edited:

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
I've also made the description a little more, er, descriptive. The name "Donald" might be here to stay, although I might adapt it into something a little different (like I did with Sally Valley).

How about Donald Duck instead.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014

Just an idea for a rename, if you decide to change it, Roadway. It's not some dude's name. If you really want all of your maps to be named that way, fine. We have Aly who names things that make blood stop going to my head from me trying to mutter, and nobody (really) complained.

Just keep in mind, it might throw people for a loop. A lot of people are going to look at your name and go: "why the heck was it named THAT?" With Aly it works, because it's pretty evident that the names are Japanese. But these names man!

However, if you want to stick with naming maps biblical names, I won't judge. Just wanted you to keep the other door open a crack.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Honestly, the main reason why I just pick people names is because I'm simply no good at coming up with original names. (And yes, I do like catching people out. :p)

I've thought about names like "Hamlet" and "Townland", but none of them really do it for me. And "Roadway" just feels a little too generic for my taste. And, yes, I guess I'm a little too used to "Donald" to want to change now, but I'm still open to suggestions!

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Hey everyone! Just to let y'all know this project isn't dead or anything. (It's only been two weeks, Jess!) I haven't got b3 ready yet, partly due to Hammer taking every opportunity to sabotage my progress and partly because I've been experimenting with night lighting! (Oh, and I've been doing some decorating and working on other maps ahem.)

Ogtoh8v.jpg

6slpvUw.jpg

aXsDRHM.jpg

fd5jQOE.jpg

There are a few issues here and there, since I was running on fast compile and it's 4:30 in the morning and I've got shit to do, so don't mind things like misaligned textures and displacement seams.

I'm not sure if I'll use the night lighting or keep the map in its current time of day, but I for one think the new lighting suits this map. Lemme know what you guys and gals think (about the night lighting or just the map in general). It'd be much appreciated.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Hey everyone! Just to let y'all know this project isn't dead or anything. (It's only been two weeks, Jess!) I haven't got b3 ready yet, partly due to Hammer taking every opportunity to sabotage my progress and partly because I've been experimenting with night lighting! (Oh, and I've been doing some decorating and working on other maps ahem.)

There are a few issues here and there, since I was running on fast compile and it's 4:30 in the morning and I've got shit to do, so don't mind things like misaligned textures and displacement seams.

I'm not sure if I'll use the night lighting or keep the map in its current time of day, but I for one think the new lighting suits this map. Lemme know what you guys and gals think (about the night lighting or just the map in general). It'd be much appreciated.
Noice :D

chemelia

yndersn't
aa
May 11, 2014

snipperoni

I think that night lighting fits this really well. Also, if you haven't already, I would encourage you to submit this to Arena: Respawn.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Cheers!

I think that night lighting fits this really well. Also, if you haven't already, I would encourage you to submit this to Arena: Respawn.
I think someone mentioned that they recommended it to Arena Respawn, but I forget who it was and the map was still in Alpha at the time.

I reckon I'll submit it at a later stage, version b5 at the earliest. It must be perfect!

EDIT: You know, looking back at those screenshots, I can't help but feel that some of the wooden beams might be a little too thick. Is that just me??

Last edited:

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Well, you know, maybe it's just me being a little "OCD" about it. In particular, the building on the left of the first screenshot just irks me with how thick the beams are. It could just be the textures I'm using, I dunno.

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
I have a bit of detailing/other advice for B3 or later versions.

18C681FED870E5E23FAB560987895BA7751B75BE

This building is nice. But I think it could be even nicer with some yellowish lighting and possibly a different wood texture inside. Having a less weathered wood texture inside and some warmer lighting will make the spawn room feel like its a special part of the map, and not just some other building.

74EE8927C76F3F901C3577309B63EBAA6E9212B7

I love these little areas of the map. The detailing is simple and cute, but one thing that bothers me is that you can't get onto the table. Why? One of my favorite parts of koth_viaduct is a similar styled room where you can get onto the wood and hide behind the metal. People rarely see you and you can ambush them! (Also it is darker which helps.)

1C3B3F9D452C87C4C3258FADA864DE3D7D466304

I love this little bit right here. Anything that shows something more going on behind-the-scenes is cool. But right now you are using only props, and aside from that it is quite boring. I would recommend that you take a look at the complex brushwork that ctf_2fort uses, or perhaps make it a flooded basement like that in ctf_sawmill, as if the underground area was made hastily and was not prepared to deal with the ground water under the bridge.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
In my defence, I've never been very good (or experienced) at Spytech detailing :p

Also I clipped off the area with the table because I figured smoothing out that area would help with flow, but I reckon I could tweak it to make it a nice little hiding spot for spies...

biskuu

L2: Junior Member
Oct 25, 2014
This looks great! I think it can play very well in Arena. Have you tried playing with bots on it?