Contest idea thread!

Discussion in 'Contests' started by FaTony, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Sir_Metaladon

Sir_Metaladon L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I specified "Not Valve" because there's already lots of resources (templates) for making those "untradtional" gamemodes floating around, but what I was looking for was more of an "Innovation within Hammer" contest, revolving around gamemodes. Hence, allowing Valve game-modes would lead to a slew of new Watergates and Doomsdays, not fully new modes like, say, a 4 CP map.

I am technically looking for more innovative map gamemodes similar to Watergate, Doomsday, Standin, Byre, Powerhouse, and so forth, but I don't just want copies of those map's logic. I want people to take Valve's I/O system, and use it to create somthing totally new!

• Like Like x 2
  2. HolySnickerPuffs

aa HolySnickerPuffs Bad at TF2, Loves Mapping For TF2

Positive Ratings:
    How about a April Fools contest? Make an April Fools map of any standard gamemode (no VSH, Jump, or DB), and the most fun, original, and hilarious map wins!

Edit : Challenge Mode - No KOTH maps.

3. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    I'd really like to see another serious 72hr mapping contest, rather than a jam. Just to push the limits of what people can do.

We usually have something like that for fun on April Fools though. An unofficial mini-contest would be fun though (like what Crash does)

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. HolySnickerPuffs

Positive Ratings:
    Here's an idea I've been sitting on for a while.

The "Mother-Forking Mapping Contest", or just the "Forking Contest" for short, is where all entrants are given a VMF file of an map in alpha/pre-alpha state (either made specifically for the contest or taken from a finished/popular map). From there, they can make any changes they want, and the end of the contest the best maps are picked and compared, to see how similar and different the maps are from each other.

The contest named after and inspired by "Forking", a practice in software development where "developers take a copy of source code from one software package and start independent development on it, creating a distinct and separate piece of software" (Wikipedia).

The idea originally came to me while playing the "A1s-Of-Popular-Maps Gameday" a few months ago, and shortly after I made "Stilleto", an edit of Borneo's A1 to try this out (I plan to continue it, although it's currently on hold). Obviously, a map can drastically change when a different mapper picks it up, but I want to see and compare how much. Like how different people can see different shapes in the same Rorschach test, I want to see how different mappers see different potential and options in the same map, and how they apply it.

You can compare this to the art-pass contest back in 2010, although instead of just detailing, you go the whole nine-yards and develop a map all the way from pre-A1 to RC1.

• Like Like x 13
  5. R4Y

R4Y L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Gamemode contest
    Who ever create the best new gamemode wins
    Give the winner a high reward to encourage them to join the contest

6. Jasper The Blank

Jasper The Blank L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Nice! I had a similar idea where people would take an a1 of any map and artpass it w/o making any drastic changes.

7. HolySnickerPuffs

Positive Ratings:
    That's more like the Artpass contest than my idea.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Messing Around

Messing Around L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    it's like making a "pro" version of a map?

• Respectfully Disagree Respectfully Disagree x 1
  9. HolySnickerPuffs

Positive Ratings:
    No. Not at all.

A Pro version of a map is more than just an artpass. It's supposed to contain changes specifically tailored for the Competitive scene.

10. kuletxcore

kuletxcore L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hmm.. How about a "forgotten gamemodes" challenge?
    Like the users must make a map that's either:
    1. Territorial Control
    2. Medieval
    3. Pass Time
    4. Player/Robot destruction
    5. Special delivery
    6. Arena
    It would be great if a challenge revives these gamemodes. I like them a lot.
    There's not enough TC or Medieval maps these days. especially TC.

• Like Like x 9
  11. Asd417

aa Asd417 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    That's a pretty good idea. It allows for some interesting concepts and gameplay to be experimented.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Floof Waffles

Floof Waffles L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    What about Mannpower? Even though that's got the ctf_ prefix

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Messing Around

Positive Ratings:
    Everybody hates that mode, it goes against how tf2 works and has terrible balance problem, so maybe not

• Respectfully Disagree Respectfully Disagree x 2
  14. HolySnickerPuffs

Positive Ratings:
    Not everyone, surely. I definitely see some positives.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. ◤Bl4ke◢

◤Bl4ke◢ L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I actually love mannpower, its very creative. i agree that some powerups are not balanced properly, but the grapple idea is great.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. onra77

onra77 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    How about a "country of the world" theme contest ?
    Like everyone who would like to participate choose a country and make a map in the style of this country.

• Like Like x 4
  17. savvaisnotagirlolbbq

savvaisnotagirlolbbq L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I don't know if anybody said this already but what about trying to make CTF as competitively viable as possible? You can change the rules and all, the more 'competitively viable' (this must be defined by the judges) and liked by professionals, the more likely to win.

18. Asd417

Positive Ratings:
    tf2m did a 'competitively viable ctf' contest long ago. That's when Landfall was made along with Vector if I'm not mistaken.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Messing Around

Positive Ratings:
    How about an Asymmetrical maps for Symmetrical game modes contest?

(Arena, CTF, 5CP, Domination, KOTH, ... and Alternative modes)

The contest would be really hard, but since it's unique and focus more on layout than detailing.
    I think it would be fun

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  20. Asd417

Positive Ratings:
    Pretty sure multiple people suggested it time and time again. It surely will be interesting but it is gonna be really hard

• Agree Agree x 1