WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!
Jan 20, 2010
do you paint these from scratch @Leminnes ? how do you handle the cube projection?

I did, in a way. Boylee gave me a bit of a reference that I worked from, but it doesn't really look much like it anymore xD

Boylee also set me up with a Photoshop doc that uses the new-ish 3D properties of Photoshop to project the skybox on a sphere and then it uses camera positions to create the skybox. I might direct Boylee in here to better describe how it's done. I'm not 100% sure I could have done it myself without his help. :p

MaccyF

Notoriously Unreliable
aa
Mar 27, 2015
I did, in a way. Boylee gave me a bit of a reference that I worked from, but it doesn't really look much like it anymore xD

Boylee also set me up with a Photoshop doc that uses the new-ish 3D properties of Photoshop to project the skybox on a sphere and then it uses camera positions to create the skybox. I might direct Boylee in here to better describe how it's done. I'm not 100% sure I could have done it myself without his help. :p

please please please explain @Boylee , this is something i'd love to be able to do. Perhaps a forum post rather than letting it get buried in the wip thread :)

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
had some extra time, so had a go at updating the skybox for my little pl map, not quite there yet, but hopefully baby steps in the right directions...

new version (5 color palette, hand painted, low poly displace - still needs a lot of work!):

A48809D2FA0381D6DBDD9ECF97566F32B053A6E6

That's waaaaaaaay better. Although to be fair, the texture doesn't have to be that low-res.
I also think the glacier (if that's what the green stuff is) could be a bit more white-ish so it has some more contrast.

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
please please please explain @Boylee , this is something i'd love to be able to do. Perhaps a forum post rather than letting it get buried in the wip thread :)

Please shoot me a PM in a couple of days if I've not done it already. I'm busy on clifftop ATM, but I will happily upload the PSD with a how to thread. I had to figure it out for myself as I couldn't find any easy way of creating the spherical deformation. If I can save anyone else the trial and error then it'll be worth it.

RodionJenga

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 24, 2015
Completely fresh mapper and member here (if that wasn't obvious).
Working on my very first map (thanks Crash for the amazing tutorials) currently just titled "farm", although that's subject to change.
Any stupid glaring weakness/errors or just criticism is welcome. Ignore the CP messup, I messed it a bit up, and I'll fix it....

As a slightly less noobish mapper, in playtests people tend to prefer the light grey or team colored dev textures over orange. Also, yeah, lights are a big deal, lol. I'd take your time with maps, and you can always have multiple projects at once!

EDIT: Oh my god that showed up as the latest post on my phone. My phone was wrong :(

Last edited:

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
'T was the night before Christmas, when all trough the house not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse. However, something else was snooping around ready to give the mercs a run for their Christmas presents...

79EA08DD88E1DD8E543C3DF25C56ED069CCF0D86

Jul 6, 2015
"Because the other poster caused a ruckus"
You mean my poster? I suck with texturing so i cant make a good poster.

Also why not something about me.
"Darren's explosives"
because i usually exploit maps
It would be more of a poster about radioactive warnings
Caution: Darrenium used in this area, keep advised it is extremely dangerous to alpha particles!

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
PD_snowville (pd_sawmill) is live! Check it out here.

4E5D84566C5E17B67ABF17BCE62EA38B6EA27685

A collab between FubarFX, Exactol and Vel0city.

Last edited: