aa
Mar 20, 2016
Been tinkering with Krita for a while
wip.PNG

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Try to get a little more variety in stone wall textures, maybe make one yourself that differs a bit. The left side of the image at the first glance looks to be a gray mess, not so easy to recognize shapes.

FunkEdge

L3: Member
Jan 14, 2017
thinking about making a new KOTH map and I need to know. how big is a usual KOTH map?
sorry for the dumb question. I'm kind off new to mapping and scaling isn't my strong point.

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
To see how big is a usual map, you get a usual map and see how big is it.
Look at official maps, or featured koth maps on this website.

ibex

aa
Sep 1, 2013
thinking about making a new KOTH map and I need to know. how big is a usual KOTH map?
sorry for the dumb question. I'm kind off new to mapping and scaling isn't my strong point.

A good measurement for koth maps is walk times from spawn to point. I usually use scout.

Viaduct is ~10, lakeside ~11, highpass ~12, king ~9 (last time I checked). Probably be slightly different if you stopwatch it.

Twist.vmf

L420: High Member
Jul 29, 2016
A good measurement for koth maps is walk times from point to spawn. I usually use scout.

Viaduct is ~10, lakeside ~11, highpass ~12, king ~9 (last time I checked). Probably be slightly different if you stopwatch it.
looks like as long as its not under 8 or over 13 you should be fine.

nitewalker

L2: Junior Member
Aug 5, 2014

scaling is really tough, because a lot of the time 2 very similarly sized areas can feel completely different in terms of actually moving around and playing. something that i do occasionally if im struggling to understand a space is just to spawn some bots on the map. seeing a variety of characters standing in the space goes a long way towards getting the map to make sense physically in your mind. you can also do this with familiar props. a lot of maps use the big shipping containers, so if you drop one of those into your map in hammer for scale you will sometimes realize that an area is too large or small compared to what you were attempting to do with that area.

its also not a bad idea to try to replicate an existing map, whether through exact measurements or eyeballing it, and pay close attention to your brush sizes. just spending a quick hour or 2 trying to block out the proportions of a smaller valve map can go a long way towards giving you a better sense of scale on all of your projects going forward.

you should probably avoid using hard rules as far as dimensions go, but general rules of thumb (like twistmapper posted above) can help a lot in keeping your map in line with the general feeling of similar maps

Twist.vmf

L420: High Member
Jul 29, 2016
anyone got tips for scaling? i noticed that what it looks like in hammer, what it looks like to you in game, snd what it looks like compared to the player are vary different, and it is vary hard to get it just right.

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
I find using actual textures tends to help. Rather than the basic dev textures.
You can also add some props like barrel crates and shipping containers, or the ever player model, which will omit itself from your compile due to being incompatible with prop_static.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
anyone got tips for scaling? i noticed that what it looks like in hammer, what it looks like to you in game, snd what it looks like compared to the player are vary different, and it is vary hard to get it just right.

Try something, see if it feels right, and then try something else if it doesn't. Using vertex edit for quickly resizing an area is super handy when trying to figure out the exact right size for a space.

I think you'll also find that the proportion of a space's floor area to the height of the walls surrounding it can have pretty dramatic effects on how large the space can feel. In theory this will change how the map plays, but I think it's more important to understand because of how it can fool you about the true size of a space (and for when you want to convey a certain spatial quality, regardless of layout).

Aug 30, 2015
These past few weeks I've gotten the feeling that I've been mapping with some fundamental abstract concept missing. With every iteration of Badfish I can feel myself getting closer to it clicking.

20170206224826_1.jpg 20170206224839_1.jpg

Flipy

I like foxes
aa
Jul 20, 2016
Got my generator attack fully functional, probably going to use the mode in the upcoming jam.

Flipy

I like foxes
aa
Jul 20, 2016
I know you may not want to do it, but after the jam, would you be able to make a prefab and put it up for download? just based on this one clip, I can already see some interesting and unique map ideas forming...

Sure, id be happy if people made some improvements on it since the process behind this is a big sloppy mess that I'm surprised functions