aa
Sep 20, 2015
haha you know that dynamic cp map ive been repeatedly starting over

MSKhDzr.png

b2mBFQj.png

jP8w6ev.png

71ru8QB.png

i did it again
(this time with points other than last!)

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
After a night of half-assed work:

Still have to seal it all up, clean up a few odds and ends, and clip it. Then it should be ready for testing.
1 thing that i dont like in most koth maps is the lack of decent flanks. If we look at how wide harvest is as koth map it shows how far you can build to the side. I prefer to see that more often in koth maps.
I do like the idea of the center though.

RataDeOrdenador

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 12, 2015
hello,

a few years back I promised a friend I'd try my best at making a payload level for tf2, haven't really made anything for tf since the golden days of tf classic - and that was like ~15 years ago >.< (but I am familiar with source overall)...
so after reading up on all tutorials here and over at developer.valvesoftware I've had some first stabs at trying to make a layout,

pl_test_layout.jpg

darker areas are low ground, and lighter areas are highground (right now everything is very blocky, and I'm planning to add some angles and switching out some corridors for some larger rooms)

I'll will hopefully be able to have a first playable version next week,

as a total noob in tf2 mapping I'm open to all suggestions/feedback (I know that it's super hard to give feedback from a flat top down img but anything will be helpful!)

thanks!

Between point 1 and 2,it reminds me of another PL map that I forgot its name... xd

But the bridge-part was a really crowded place... and well,99% of the people dropped down to the river and attacked RED from behind.

Either way,the layout looks promising. Can't wait to see some screenshots of the actual map.

Nov 13, 2015
trying to find a decent style for my pl level, its hard D:

been reusing some textures from a dota2 project me and a friend did, phong doesnt seem to work as expected, and the normals on some blend textures does not work

tf2_test1.JPG

Nov 13, 2015
With a dash of work, those textures for the ground don't look half bad. I assume it's radiant grass?

the grass is from tf (nature/grass_07), the custom ones are the cobble stones
DCBC63F14AD5613B9166C6459FE87D4F0D0C6DBC

and the roofing and stone wall etc,
the normal and spec seems to work good in other versions of source but not in tf2, so right now it all looks pretty flat, but I'm pretty sure its just something I'm forgetting in the vmt :)

Nov 13, 2015
Does it have a bump map?

ye, diffuse, normal, spec, tried phong first, but it seems it's only available for models, inspecting the materials with fullbright 2 in game shows that the cobble texture aint working correctly (however all the other materials seems to work)...need to pull out the detective hat and investigate...when I got the time :)

cbble_tex.JPG

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I think Source 2 uses a radically different model for blending, since it allows for blending between up to four textures at a time (although I think maybe that was actually introduced in one of the Left 4 Dead games?) If that third image is supposed to be the blend texture, I'd guess the new model requires a separate heightmap for each texture and then calculates blend based on their relative heights — since that's basically how it works in real life.

Nov 13, 2015
I think Source 2 uses a radically different model for blending, since it allows for blending between up to four textures at a time (although I think maybe that was actually introduced in one of the Left 4 Dead games?) If that third image is supposed to be the blend texture, I'd guess the new model requires a separate heightmap for each texture and then calculates blend based on their relative heights — since that's basically how it works in real life.

the this img is spec/phong mask :)

5A3AE79E2E9A53FAFEC11280958372D4A5F3DA28

Nov 13, 2015
96113FA57B32BB4958BEC755712BB8CE1B1AC999

winter themed skybox, need to style the texture a wee bit to fit the tf2 artstyle, also wanted to add some aurora borealis...but that will be a later issue :)