WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
can we post some wip shots to stop this thread becoming terwinockland or the one with the donkey?

screengrab_20120412185126.jpg

Mar 20, 2012
Cool your jets. You posted your map on this website, and thus it's fair to assume you wanted feedback on it.

However, telling everyone to just "deal with it" when numerous people bring up a problem in aesthetic compatibility is in itself childish. There's no reason to go off and post that everyone is "butt hurt" over your map. If you want to be taken seriously, you have to maintain a level of maturity.

I'm absolutely willing to wait and see how the map develops. Understand though that many of the users on this site have been developing Source maps for a very long time. If all of us see the same problem in the map, it's generally because it's true. The aesthetic style and the game you are designing for don't match up, and it will nullify your immersion effect.

No one is forcing you to change anything. We're just giving feedback - it's what we're here to do.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
That is an awesome map, but not a tf2 map.

It uses a bunch of elements from a Halo map. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'm going to assume that's why it doesn't look very TF2-ish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zevoEKl9fUw

It appears to me a number of assets are straight recompiles from Halo.

Though I get the feeling I'm stepping into a conversation where a bunch of posts got deleted, so maybe this was already covered.

Skibur

L1: Registered
Dec 6, 2011
It uses a bunch of elements from a Halo map. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'm going to assume that's why it doesn't look very TF2-ish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zevoEKl9fUw

It appears to me a number of assets are straight recompiles from Halo.

Though I get the feeling I'm stepping into a conversation where a bunch of posts got deleted, so maybe this was already covered.
It is a remake map from Halo Reach: Powerhouse. I stated this before in page 444 of this thread.

No, not one single assets were decompile from the game itself. I had to model them and texture them using HL2 texture using 3ds max. Then from there, I export the model into Source SDK. There were a few brushes in hammer that were converted into props using propper.

And not quite, a bunch of deleted conversation were mainly about how people arguing about why my map have HL2 for TF2.

Thanks although!

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I'm still not sure why the choice was made to forgo the TF2 theme. If you don't like the TF2 theme and want to use HL2 textures then why wasn't the map made for HLDM. I think this is a reasonable question to ask without being provocative.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
It is a remake map from Halo Reach: Powerhouse. I stated this before in page 444 of this thread.

Obligatory and non provacative "Porting maps between games is never a good idea unless you are willing to sacrifice and adjust certain parts of the map" - comment.

I would rather get banned than have my posts removed. It's rude.

Oh well. I can ban you if you'd like.

Skibur

L1: Registered
Dec 6, 2011
Obligatory and non provacative "Porting maps between games is never a good idea unless you are willing to sacrifice and adjust certain parts of the map" - comment.

I already talked to the original maker of this map, from Bungie. They allowed me to do such so.

yyler, stop making useless comments in this thread. I strongly suggest you to use the private message to prevent spamming off topic conversation in here.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
I already talked to the original maker of this map, from Bungie. They allowed me to do such so.

That wasn't my point. Halo maps are made for Halo, not for TF2. The mechanics, and gameplay flow is much different in Halo than TF2. If you are doing a direct port of Halo to TF2, the TF2 counterpart will NOT play well unless you make serious changes.

Just a thing to note when doing ports like this.

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
No, not one single assets were decompile from the game itself. I had to model them and texture them using HL2 texture using 3ds max. Then from there, I export the model into Source SDK. There were a few brushes in hammer that were converted into props using propper.

It would make more sense, if you're going to the trouble of recreating the models from scratch, to also learn to texture in the TF2 style and make your own textures for them as well. It's basically just a hand-painted style, which I imagine Bungie already used to do the concept art.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
He had a valid point that's worth responding to with more than flippancy IMHO. They may not have been good posts but it's kind of weird to censor

You're right, my apologies. This reaction was coming off a previous event (the day before) where something similiar happened and it just because a bash fest (much like this did.

I removed the posts because I didn't want to see the arguing and bickering progress any farther, and obviously I can't lock this thread. I know that there is still some bickering going on, but I felt that if the posts did stay, it could have progressed to much worse.