WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
I love the cone of light effect, but it doesn't match up with the lamp prop at all. Unfortunately, having spend months trying to perfect that sort of effect on stoneyridge, I've found it's pretty hard to implement on demand.

Foundry has a neat example where they used two light_spot entities.. maybe you could use that to help it along.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
The central point, there's a huge spotlight pointed at a logo for blue team. One spotlight creates some long distance fill light, then a second one is kind of off-angle with a ridiculous brightness to create a glow cone on the wall.

It looks really cool, but I've found it tricky to use in other places.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Looking at what you mean, I feel like mine matches better than the example on Foundry. Maybe I don't know what you're talking about specifically?

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
hella.jpg

Is what I understand he means.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
Well, my comment was based on the fact that the amount of light being generated looks fine, but the cone of light on the wall doesn't match the prop you've selected. I know that's being nitpicky and I didn't mean to sound like that, but it stood out on what's otherwise a fine piece of detailing.

But with that said, for the cone to match up with the lamp you chose, your spotlight would have to be higher up the wall. I brought up the double spotlight on Foundry because I figured you could use it to leave the amount of light on the ground the same, but have a second spotlight paint a more accurate cone on the wall.

edit - I only just noticed the brick foundation you put in. That looks really great.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
The cone matches pretty well, it's just that the lamp is away from the wall a bit. I guess you mean the lamp looks wider than the cone? That's true, but just barely. I'll play around with it. Aly's image is weird.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
It's easy to notice these things in a static image but hardly anyone will notice it during gameplay and nor will they care. You'd be surprised regarding some of the retarded shit Valve get away in their maps.

Personally i don't see any obligation on yyler's part to reduce the cone of light for the immersion factor only to then impact gameplay negatively because of lighting conditions. The important thing is that the light illuminates the gameplay area appropriately, which it does.

P.S. the light isn't cast from the tip of the cone anyway, the bulb hangs in the middle and a sprite can demonstrate that fact. The light wouldn't cast at the exact angle of the lamp shade.

light.png

Last edited:

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Your cliffs still look like they're made out of paper, go look at how cliffs were made in Halo 1, they'll give you a pretty good idea of how to sculpt some nice big shapes into your displacements.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
dustbowl and gorge are good(ish) examples of TF2 cliffs. The important thing is that you don't see the base brush shape that the displacement came from in the first place.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
How exactly are those barn doors supposed to open with those posts in the way?

Jan 8, 2011
While we're at it, why that fence prop on the left side of the first screenshot? It seems a bit big for what appears to be a simple balcony.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Unfortunately not. I never finished it due to my lack of skill.

Then someone else went and made one, submitted it to the workshop and that's what's in the game at the moment.

agent00kevin

L1: Registered
Oct 30, 2010
Unfortunately not. I never finished it due to my lack of skill.

Then someone else went and made one, submitted it to the workshop and that's what's in the game at the moment.

:(

Keep at it. Obviously you have the design ability, just need to practice implementing it. Maybe one day Ill wear one of your hats!

Skibur

L1: Registered
Dec 6, 2011
Work in progress: Powerhouse
Percentage completed: 51%
3D4DBD34810A4E1A01E89FC7BAFCC85024782AAC

38803248205DDF07D0D321BDFF803A7DDD4C5C4E

7271A9B8119EE0CD2F040BA249B9461C23571596

Features; Includes approximately 50 props on this map that can be used for prophunts mode, new spawning system in-game that you will spawn next to your teammate in a safe area portal (To prevent spawn killed), non-symmetrical layout, game mechanic is balance, multiple path to choose instead of straightforward action, Open wide world vs. interior sector part, and estimated to be below 20 Mb in file size (Including all texture and models).