WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Fredrik

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 15, 2009
BLU vs RED !!!!!

2012-04-07_00003.jpg

Can you make a step by step tutorial?

Mar 23, 2010
isnt red's slanted walkway roof thing asymmetrical to blu's flat walkway roof thing?

Vaconcovat

L3: Member
Jan 15, 2012
The furnace doors should open as the cart descends the hill, before it breaks through the ground (I assume you're still doing that).

Yeah, and the hill is rollforward. Except for some reason I can't increase the cart's speed properly, and it falling through the floor at normal speed looks funny, so ATM it's teleporting.

EDIT: have a pic
2899677A10D6043B4FE9E8FD67368ACDF0215E1D

Last edited:

Spipper

Former cheese man Gorgonzola
aa
Feb 18, 2012
Completely redid CP 1, spawnrooms and the area in front of it.

2012-04-08_00002.jpg

Yard in front of one of the spawn exits:
2012-04-08_00001.jpg

2012-04-08_00003.jpg

I'm also planning to do some major changes on this area. Any suggestions before I'm doing so?
2012-04-08_00005.jpg

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
You could also delete all those sprites from the lights. Do a run through any spytech map, you'll notice Valve never puts glow effects on their long fluorescent lights.

Not that Valve's way is always the best way, but I'd challenge you to find any non-mapper who ever noticed that some lights don't have glow effects.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
What I do in alphas before fine tuning lighting is literally just copy and paste lights in whole from a map that has similar lighting to mine.

GameDev

L1: Registered
Apr 9, 2012
This is my layout so far, we did a playtest on the server; though i forgot to patch a hole which screwed everything up.

PHtUL.jpg

Some people liked the idea, some didn't. What do you guys think?

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
What I do in alphas before fine tuning lighting is literally just copy and paste lights in whole from a map that has similar lighting to mine.

I went one step further and copied my favorite lights into a separate VMF so I don't have to load up enormous Valve maps anymore.

GameDev

L1: Registered
Apr 9, 2012
I'm not sure what the idea is. Fubar might be right, idk

Esentially I wanted to do a payload map where it sort of overlaps, though it seems like the spawn for red might be a little off. I'll have to do another playtest to see.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
It's not a good idea. Other than the mine tunnel that actually drops into the bottom of the map, it forces the cart to pass by RED's spawn right after the first control point. This makes it difficult to push past the chokepoints at the first point, as well as push up the hill to the second point, without spawncamping. Afterward, it becomes a straight shot to the end for BLU because RED has a longer walk time to the final point.

Attack/defend maps shouldn't give the same advantages to an offensive team that are given by 5CP maps. Eventually you need to increase the difficulty of the stage.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
This is my layout so far, we did a playtest on the server; though i forgot to patch a hole which screwed everything up.

PHtUL.jpg

Some people liked the idea, some didn't. What do you guys think?

Speaking from experience having produced a map in the past that lapped itself around CP1 and 2 it often poses a significant advantage to RED in regards to flanking BLU and cutting off supply. Particularly when you have good spies and the height advantage.

I limited the advantage by narrowing the area from which RED could descend and fire from, but the advantage was still on the excessive side and often the number 1 complaint even after it was as balanced as i could make it in terms of statistical win ratio's.