We now have a Steam Chat Bot!

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
Small update that could have some pretty big impacts:
  • Fixed the download URLs having commas
  • When using !maps, the notes are now sent separately to the user
What is that I hear, notes? Those things no one uses, what are they? how do I use them? This is a quick rundown:

Notes are useful for giving short messages to the imp host about running the map, for instance if you want crits off, or want people to focus on the aesthetics of the map.

The command is: !add <mapname> <url> <Notes>
If the map is already uploaded, it is !add <mapname> <notes>

Now, if you decide to still include a downloadurl despite the map being uploaded, there is no need to worry. The URL you post is just lodged at the beginning of the notes, and your note will come afterwards.
If you didn't include any notes and your map is already uploaded, the notes will JUST be the url.

Adding notes is completely optional, but I strongly encourage you to give it a try, as you can quite possibly get some really good data from it. Happy Mapping!

Hyperion

L16: Grid Member
aa
Jun 8, 2015
What about marking notes with " "? It would make it more clear and wouldn't cause useless url notes

Fantaboi

aa
Mar 11, 2013
What about marking notes with " "? It would make it more clear and wouldn't cause useless url notes
Because its a good contingency plan if the uploadcheck is actually screwed up, it would require a considerable change in the code that I don't think is necessary, and users would find it unintuitive

Osspial

L2: Junior Member
Jul 21, 2015
It seems that the bot is able to detect when the chat is ghosted. If it can do this, would there be any way for it to PM all people in the chat and let them know that a ghost occurred?

Fantaboi

aa
Mar 11, 2013
It seems that the bot is able to detect when the chat is ghosted. If it can do this, would there be any way for it to PM all people in the chat and let them know that a ghost occurred?
As of right now its not detecting it, instead the bot is simply rejoining every 10 minutes if no one talks.

I've been considering implementing new strategies for checking for a ghost, the biggest issue though is that i'm unsure if the data is there to test, but i'll need to look around more.

Osspial

Jul 21, 2015
As of right now its not detecting it, instead the bot is simply rejoining every 10 minutes if no one talks

It could store a a list of everyone in chat upon disconnect and compare the length of that list to the number of people in chat upon re-joining, sending the PM if the number dropped by a significant amount.

Hyperion

aa
Jun 8, 2015
You could make second bot. Testing for ghost would be possible. Only problem would be spam

Osspial

Jul 21, 2015
You could make second bot. Testing for ghost would be possible. Only problem would be spam

If bots can detect users leaving, it could sync with the original bot and look for the bot disconnecting/reconnecting during a specific time window and send the message if the reconnect isn't detected.

Geit

&#128156; I probably broke it &#128156;
aa
May 28, 2009
It's possible to determine if a chat has ghosted by regularly polling the Steam API for the number of people in the chat, and comparing it to the number of people the bot percieves as in the chat. If the former is significantly lower than the the latter, there's a pretty high chance the chat has ghosted.

It's slightly more complicated than just rejoining the chat when activity is low, but it should be more reliable, robust and less annoying. I've been planning to add it to observer bot for a while, but just don't have the time at the moment, maybe after exams.

Fantaboi

aa
Mar 11, 2013
What's the variable for polling how many the bot perceives is in chat?

Hyperion

aa
Jun 8, 2015
Suggestion: new command /gameday

Parameters: /gameday <set/delete> <hh:mm dd/mm GMT>

Return: time left in hours and minutes

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I don't know if this has been mentioned before but it would be nice to have a command that sets up an imp event.

Something like: !imp <Server> <Description (Optional)>

You could accept either "EU" or "US" for the Server parameter, and use that to determine which IP to point the event towards.

Fantaboi

aa
Mar 11, 2013
What would be the purpose of this