Tiny Rock

ARENA Tiny Rock final

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Undercover Fish

L1: Registered
Nov 16, 2014
I just played this map a few hours ago during one of the IMP tests, and this may be the first time I have had genuine fun in an Arena-style gamemode.

Having an objective active at the start of the round turns the gamemode from "Murder" to "Murder, OR get a head start on the payload." And it's not a static location either, so where the action happens isn't the same place every round. Right there, having a focal point throughout the entire round instead of just at the end avoids the pitfall of Arena getting boring after the first bloodbath, and if you pushed the cart, you still feel like you contributed after you die. The tracks have enough height variation and crossroads to enforce skirmishes instead of people just riding it to the end away from the action. The layout is great for every class, save for maybe one sniper angle that is a bit too strong. In the few rounds I played, I observed some pretty memorable moments that this map makes like a factory. (Airblast hard counters two medics.)

This map is lightning in a bottle; a combination of a great idea for a gamemode, AND a solid layout.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Really glad to hear it! I'm honestly a little surprised Arena PLR has never been tried before (at least to the best of my knowledge). I think the concept is sound, and I really wanted to do it justice.

Also, that sightline will be fixed in the next version.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Muddy updated Tiny Rock with a new update entry:

aplr_tinyrock4_b5

* Players no longer spawn inside the deathpit mid-round; now they spawn inside a building with a door that never opens, except during Feedback Round
* Adjusted cart paths to block that one sightline everybody hates
* Fixed carts getting stuck (hopefully for real this time)
* Fixed players spawning inside eachother
* Detail tweaks
* Clipping improvements

Read the rest of this update entry...

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014

aplr_tinyrock4_b6

* Expanded "mid round" rooms: you can now look out of windows, and there is now one on Red team's side of the map (also the spawns are team-specific now)
* Widened a doorway a little
* Made some of the railings on the side bridges solid and opaque
* Adjusted environment lighting to match up with the sun
* Fixed a spot in the deathpit where you could stand and not die
* Removed a duplicate spectator camera
* A bunch of clipping improvements

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014

aplr_tinyrock4_rc1

* 3D skybox!
* Soundscapes and other environment sounds!
* Actual briefing photos!
* Optimisation pass
* Updated announcer lines:
** Removed "Killstreak" lines
** "First Blood" can now trigger the "Fast" and "Slow" variants as well as standard
** Added "Flawless Victory" and "Flawless Defeat" lines
** Added "Last Man Standing" lines (thanks to Leezo for doing the map logic on this)
* Added more spectator cameras
* Changed an ammo pack from medium to large
* Widened the uphill slopes on each...

Sonoma

tf_logic_lesbian
aa
May 12, 2020
I think you should displacements the rock faces a little bit more, at least judging by the screenshots they look pretty flat for what should be a rock wall other than that it's looking pretty good

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
I think you should displacements the rock faces a little bit more, at least judging by the screenshots they look pretty flat for what should be a rock wall other than that it's looking pretty good
I started doing this and then I forgot about it. Putting out an RC1a version very soon that catches some visual issues I forgot.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014

the final one

Barring any glaring issues, I'm declaring this final.

* Removed mid-round spawns, players spawning mid-round now instantly die outside the playspace (but not in the ravine this time)
* Fixed players spawning in the mid-round kill room before round start
* Misc clipping and visual fixes

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014

Lacry

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 25, 2019
Imagine making a final version of a map, and then you have to update it to fix a minor issue, lol, how embarrasing :rolleyes:

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014