The stupidest mapping mistake you have made

Flipy

I like foxes
aa
Jul 20, 2016
Parented 64 prop_dynamics to a constantly rotating brush in the skybox
normally not a problem, but the models were those halloween skeletons, meaning they had bone followers
a lot of them on every model
multiplied by 64 different models
constantly rotating

I did not disable these bone followers on the initial map release
unknown.png

UfZtIOH.jpg

oops

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015

Infomaniac

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 29, 2015
Another mistake I made was trashing a perfectly fine map because I thought it was corrupted, turns out, Radius Culling can be a dick.

Infomaniac

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 29, 2015
my biggest mistake was making cp_fastscope a 5cp map (my first map) you dont want to know what it is
but what if I want to know?

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
my biggest mistake was making cp_fastscope a 5cp map (my first map) you dont want to know what it is
That's not really a mistake. We all start by making crappy maps, regardless of gamemode. (And good on you for challenging yourself by making something more ambitious than a KOTH map)

Now what would have been a mistake was to try making a TC map for your first Hammer project...

Mar 23, 2013
I miss those days

Well everyone moved on to the RedSunOverParadise community. The devs were admins at Slag and their server have the same charm but much more chaotic. It's even heavier modded, more cosmetics, many custom soundeffects... it's a pretty fun asylum

Last edited:

Grubzer

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 3, 2016
Finding a mysterious floating platform every time you compile, only to realize that it was a microscopic microbrush (Seriously. It was almost invisible)

Also, creating detailed models with brushes

Also, trusting hammer in fixing invalid solid structures, only for it to stretch them to infinity and past

(At that point you've probably realised that i am not a good friend with vertex tool)

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
*KOTH_abyss. We don't talk about that map here.
*I also have some time wasting practices: I fully texture and detail every section of my map, however early of a stage it is. In fact, I have never done a dev_measure draft. This means I end up deleting hours of work because I need to change a room.
*The optimization on mvm_origins: There is not a single solid brush in the whole map. Every *brush* is either a displacement or a func_detail, as it was the "best" way for me to optimize. Good job me!