Spawnroom & Intel Room Detailing Mini-Contest - Q1 2016

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Freyja, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Lampenpam

Lampenpam L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    two maps have capitalized letters in the name. How will this affect the ratings? Personally I don't have a problem with it, iirc they only bug out Linux user, correct?

2. Freyja

aa Freyja But why?

Positive Ratings:
    It only bugs out linux servers.

I don't really want to disqualify them just for that even though the submission form has "Capital letters are forbidden" seriously people learn to read the number of questions that I was asked that were answered in the rules

3. The Siphon

The Siphon L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    My map apparently has packing and HDR problems. I did both tasks and I have no idea why it isn't working. Any ideas?

4. Inqwel

Inqwel L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Was there something wrong with my entry as well? Did I forget to do something? I mean I built it for HDR too.

5. Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    Once I had it messed up by repacking the map. Maybe it was that?

@Inqwel, it was fine for me.

So far the only maps with problems were:

The Siphon: No packing, no HDR cubemaps
    Lotso: No packing (only one single error prop) no HDR cubemaps.
    Sil: No HDR cubemaps
    Rayere: No packing, no HDR cubemaps
    Wilfire: No HDR cubemaps
    Aeix: No packing

I lonly oaded them in HDR, so some of them might have working LDR cubemaps.

That quite a lot of messed up submissions actually, I hope I didn't screw something up either. Did I?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Oatmeal

Oatmeal L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Might be cool to have some volunteers for the next contest who check the submissions for these kinds of problems.

7. LadyRaee

LadyRaee CHEERFULLY SUICIDAL

Positive Ratings:
    I tested it by removing my customs folder. And if anything, LDR, not HDR cubemaps could be broken.
    It's may be fault of compressing map. Some users won't load them for unknown reasons. Try unpacking map. If that doesn't help. Remove my map, BECAUSE I DON'T FUCKING CARE I'M OUT OF THIS BULLSHIT CONTEST

8. Yrr

aa Yrr An Actual Deer

Positive Ratings:
    if you had anything installed in the regular folders then removing your custom folder wouldnt have helped, you gotta test in sv_pure 2
    :T

9. Beef Bucket

aa Beef Bucket L41: Blessed Member

Positive Ratings:
    I seem to recall The Siphon's map working. I suspect this may have something to do with the fact I downloaded the BSP directly from Dropbox shortly after its release. Is it possible something went wrong when Freyja put them all in one zip folder and put it on Mediafire?

*Update* Never mind

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  10. Nicky

aa Nicky Rotten Tops

Positive Ratings:
    What about my map? I have heard nothing about my map so I assume it's working? I tested with some friends, and everything was fine for them.

11. RodionJenga

RodionJenga L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    @umbratile from voting thread...
    It's adobe, a type of dried earth building material common in the American southwest. I think they did use the ground texture, which makes sense. Example pic for the curious

Also, in my voting-notes, I have aeix with missing textures, captainclam with missing cubemaps, flowershopguy with maybe too many cubemaps, lotso as fullbright, rayeress with some missing textures, rtk with some black overlays, thesiphon with missing construction map stuff and cubemaps, wilfire with missing construction materials and nicktf as apparently working fine, if snowing inside. Any of these could have easily been my fault, somehow.

12. Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    ah, there is a custom adobe texture for download here. This map would have confused me much less if it used this one instead of the dirt texture.

EDIT: talking about this one: http://tf2maps.net/downloads/adobe.386/ @Tierra-Verde

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    Oh yeah, the first thing my mind went to when I saw that was "wait, this should obviously be wood/stone, did they accidentally replace the textures?" and then I just forgot adobe exists. That said, I don't think the regular dirt texture was effective as replacement for adobe, even if it was a neat idea. I should probably edit my post to reflect that.

14. radarhead

aa radarhead Hands out ratings like cheap cigars

Positive Ratings:
    Dang, I thought I built the cubemaps correctly... I guess that's what happens when you do a final compile at the last minute after not releasing any maps for over a year. Oh well, I was never really expecting to win. I'm just proud that I was actually able to finish something again.

15. Skullio

Skullio L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Man thanks a lot for your videos. It took you 8 hours and the videos come to like 3 hours or something? Wow thats crazy. i just got finished watching them all and there's so much useful stuff in there. Actually I kind of wish I had put more effort and attention to detail into my entry now since you put so much into these breakdowns heh. Much appreciated!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Flower_Shop_Guy

aa Flower_Shop_Guy ♪ ------------ ♫ ------------ ♪

Positive Ratings:
    "From Voting tread"
    Today is 07.05.2016, so when contest results gonna be?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Freyja

aa Freyja But why?

Positive Ratings:
    When I get around to it. I was very busy around the time the contest finished (and then to be perfectly honest I've been a bit distracted by overwatch since...)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
  18. sooshey

aa sooshey :3c

Positive Ratings:
    It's been nearly a week and a half since you made that post, Freyja. It probably only takes ~15 minutes to tally up votes and make a post, and everyone's been waiting.

19. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Freyja is pretty busy right now IIRC. No need to condescend.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Oatmeal

Oatmeal L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    This cross-linking thing could use some updating in all of the threads. Half of the links are broken and the result thread is missing.