pl_burner

PL pl_burner a20

Erk

erk
aa
Aug 6, 2016
pl_burner - Payload map for the Payload Checklist Contest!

5F5jrwXfwQ4XPAHz0jYPg1A7y8_37RuhLpXMorS9bquNJEN49DvziRyuyzCroBY_yA47YUcfFn5XugYTS56R83PN88Eph0qrf-SuR06r6UNrCSTRA24lvadt6M3PVboR85x4NpOw

Checklist for the map, 8/5 counted for

dAwAF22GKonrj-uh4BAUXN95_qvUv3Xa1E4T0nMwTbAgggUBEbvdhlm9co16d7ArI8qVGc2x0Zwta5-w_hwVBInJD2oW2NBCU75-5N234fIAnI7r53vQ6sEn_s4xsh0BoNq-c4jV

Blu spawn

kYzzh00HqaYC7Dh8eCVpXb-mMEy8EPQYTZIWZ8WZtM2FLBeYlPqXL90Qegb6VpzfrjG1wIBGYavr5_zVggYh68hec0gsCHBBZuruHW8ALKg9-4MeS-_LJKL8wYcXlrUFdFq5fTMy

Outside Blu Spawn

TjKNBwXL69O_M19Y9mXI4GWjLAyzs0zTyJtc_-s04J_OeC20rurUnk4iJUQN2vYz_-ACeXdb3u_H6g8tQIGrq7gL_6Fun3J6QtejiByr9no1oJ0IVy-KwUCUoXYNEQpDp0axCExG

B point

ogTyLx-0qgIqdTYqU5KN5POM7gqzUNcfB43DLW6bGzfSIvXNmvCaV-gim9tSThblVNO9mvdESrMcKaup96tTpjxUIg9Y9iCE8d3IIFiCTilt4aacHtvvxWe9kAsi1y4p5K7-ToWI

C point

V_d77qxiQA-UCHkyO9qrPkOP09u2IvS7-AvIQCf2ToQlhVM1Dqu85v-81k5ZYHcVcRrUh-Hmsd_GFz-wj7bDUBctm-qI3KrfPPc6U5Rn7ngjqptFoIQlhfuu-aCAuGdwxygl5d6V

Route to D point + D point

4WdHnAmLnJ74S8jjMB5eiQnQtV18qp0ibIAAVq2idmNLVvHpyCjxjanhaO2PVX8I2bzKuP18a_VP8K1HyfCcPmy4JNjyxru5PZohLWEowdyfgaPd5qaMsmn6vEX7_WWsPHVmEA9t

Red's Final Spawn + Last point and deathpit

oCgfFziZm6ajoLST-_dAEH1wkCe4hKL4yJXN65-Zv3tp6Yyys9tjSwHVVMTgxAv-ti_S21KinSTVq3b3DF8HKWrUJ6uXUKX66zURewe0-mAEUKkkHqtx9LS2numcQThwawRaxbTF

tribute

IbVDt5iNlcrk-P5WCsAItY05fjdGwavrkd6r6DJv9HHH3ZFd3t8n5QzJH0ohHugasvy2mlDtzPUeoTPoXLmJ0W4GmNhBW2Pen2JbqRGfJCT-NssTE5_Z4jH-Zh5A0Z3-hCOJhXFw

Additional shot of the route to D point

a583nQpMvpw3yZZJ3yCC7PgaG_ByQ185U8HqOKPFZbLyhTrfRJOsScrCWscfMVKxS_zWj1J4VqXKF_g5ciTU3Jl4uResafrMj3_s_LO5J1siiRqHhIHPBSP3fP41dj_8b0dr1eTS

Sideways shot

npZWeJc4yPT_oRKitSLQzJX39FbgT7_mOoCnRKwHu_COrVadmAzXGcjtxji-f83EFUfO4_T159GYGnKkOv-EO9Hf7YkwP4AGWQZBdGi3Dq9CupbZMzqnq-b596wIii3ful2ti7fI

Almost Top Down shot

Note: Previous download was deleted bc I thought I could just repack the .bsp to fix the missing content, so I had to make a new one to give it back! Sorry to anyone who downloaded the map or left any comments or ratings!

The screenshots also aren't accurate regarding the skybox texture, the texture used in the actual map is different now since I was having issues packing that one in for whatever reason.

This is the new Skybox texture which is made by Fubar: https://tf2maps.net/downloads/sky_dusk_01.640/

Last edited:

Mess About

L7: Fancy Member
Jan 16, 2017
edit: nvm, i don't know why the cart stucked the first time i tried, but when i restart the game it's gone

info_player_teamspawn failed to find control point round named 'red_respawnroom1'
team_train_watcher failed to find train named ''
team_train_watcher failed to find path_track named ''
team_train_watcher failed to find path_track named ''

keep seeing this, dk if it cause any problem

Last edited:

Erk

erk
aa
Aug 6, 2016
edit: nvm, i don't know why the cart stucked the first time i tried, but when i restart the game it's gone

keep seeing this, dk if it cause any problem

I've tested this loads and it doesn't seem to do anything. I'm uncertain as to why it shows up. Thanks for the feedback though!

TSJ1020

L1: Registered
May 31, 2018
I put this into my mapssrc folder but it won't show up when I type "maps pl" into console. I type "maps pl" to filter only payload maps.Any way I can actually play this map on my game?

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
I put this into my mapssrc folder but it won't show up when I type "maps pl" into console. I type "maps pl" to filter only payload maps.Any way I can actually play this map on my game?
Download the BSP and put it in your /tf/maps/ folder then type that ingame. You can also use /tf/download/maps/ for organisation of sorts

Erk

erk
aa
Aug 6, 2016
unknown.png

Changes for a2:

unknown.png

Last has been increased in size and red now has a balcony looking at the cart

unknown.png

D's length has been shortened and moved closer towards C

unknown.png

The door after B is now partially see-through

unknown.png

There is also now a ramp at B to make transitioning easier

unknown.png

Due to lasts size, red spawn is now encroaching on blu spawn a bit

unknown.png

Blu spawn now is a lot less straightforward than before, this was made to block the sightline exiting spawn and to give blu a better shot at using the other route

unknown.png

Peer down at blu and revel in satisfaction in the new last spawn (note: blu doesnt spawn there any more at that point so you'd be peering down at your own failures)

Read the rest of this update entry...

Erk

erk
aa
Aug 6, 2016
unknown.png

Changelog:

-Removed Dogs

unknown.png

-Blocked sightline coming into last

unknown.png

-Removed a spawn that I felt was way too close to D point + last, blu was having too easy of a time pushing into last and it was causing frustration for red

unknown.png

-Moved Jills tribute and added a small health pack where it used to be to maybe help attackers

unknown.png

-Added a sightline blocker to fix a sightline into one of reds spawn. I kept it semi-transparent to let people know thats where they should go

-Added a sign outside of blu's forward spawn to help direct them to the next point

unknown.png

-Added a ramp and moved some walls around to help give blu more cover

unknown.png

-I disliked the dropdown red could use against blu at B so I removed it in place for another safer route.

unknown.png

-Also in that area, I fixed overlays not properly appearing on the brush and added additional cover and a window to see through (not shoot through) to help blu again.

unknown.png

-Added a pylon to block a sightline

unknown.png

-Added additional lighting in areas that needed them

unknown.png

Sideways Shot

Erk

erk
aa
Aug 6, 2016
unknown.png

New Changes as of A7:

unknown.png

+Red now has a wall separating their spawn from the main path and a new ramp for their other exit

unknown.png

+Blu has a new route that gives a height advantage for them at last

unknown.png

+A point's choke now has an additional door to give both teams some more space

unknown.png

+Fixed a dumb sightline around C

unknown.png

+Increased ammo supply around C, 2 new fulls and 3 medium ammo boxes are around C

unknown.png

+New small health and medium ammo around last

unknown.png

+The shack near first is now flat instead of having a sloped roof

Jusa

aa
May 28, 2013
path.jpg

I'll try to rationalize some of my thoughts on the overall flow of the map since I don't think I was that coherent during the imp. These are just my thoughts on hopping on it and playing on it for the first time and I'm mostly talking about flow here, not the gameplay geometry itself, but rather how the level felt as a whole.

In Burner, the payload takes this "compact" style of layout kind of similar to upward where the path is not heading forwards towards something but rather around something. The map takes sharp angles both to the left and to the right in an overall small (somewhat indoors-y) space and the path even goes under itself in a completely separate gameplay space. I often felt disoriented in Burner, feeling like I didn't know where the last point I was fighting on was and where the next one is set (on the level as a whole, I don't mean that I got lost in the level, areas just felt rather disconnected from each other) and to what direction is the map going next. I think it's mostly to do with having the map so compact while at the same time having so large portions of the maps set indoors. I felt like there were no clear landmarks to help me understand the placement of different points across the map and even if there were, I wouldn't be able to see them being indoors.

In Upward, the player is always pushing the cart upwards and to the left, which gives it a flow. The map is also set around a huge structure on a hill, and surrounded by steep cliffs on the sides. This gives the player a sense of where they are and where they are heading. (As blue, you always have cliffs on your right and huge structure on your left.) In Burner however, there are no real elements like this to help the flow of the map. This coupled with such a complex payload path makes it a bit disorienting.

This might just be an alpha thing that drastically improves during detailing, but I thought to mention it anyways, with a complex payload path like this. Over all I enjoyed the interesting geometry of the map even though the different spaces felt rather disconnected as a whole.

Erk

erk
aa
Aug 6, 2016
path.jpg

I'll try to rationalize some of my thoughts on the overall flow of the map since I don't think I was that coherent during the imp. These are just my thoughts on hopping on it and playing on it for the first time and I'm mostly talking about flow here, not the gameplay geometry itself, but rather how the level felt as a whole.

In Burner, the payload takes this "compact" style of layout kind of similar to upward where the path is not heading forwards towards something but rather around something. The map takes sharp angles both to the left and to the right in an overall small (somewhat indoors-y) space and the path even goes under itself in a completely separate gameplay space. I often felt disoriented in Burner, feeling like I didn't know where the last point I was fighting on was and where the next one is set (on the level as a whole, I don't mean that I got lost in the level, areas just felt rather disconnected from each other) and to what direction is the map going next. I think it's mostly to do with having the map so compact while at the same time having so large portions of the maps set indoors. I felt like there were no clear landmarks to help me understand the placement of different points across the map and even if there were, I wouldn't be able to see them being indoors.

In Upward, the player is always pushing the cart upwards and to the left, which gives it a flow. The map is also set around a huge structure on a hill, and surrounded by steep cliffs on the sides. This gives the player a sense of where they are and where they are heading. (As blue, you always have cliffs on your right and huge structure on your left.) In Burner however, there are no real elements like this to help the flow of the map. This coupled with such a complex payload path makes it a bit disorienting.

This might just be an alpha thing that drastically improves during detailing, but I thought to mention it anyways, with a complex payload path like this. Over all I enjoyed the interesting geometry of the map even though the different spaces felt rather disconnected as a whole.

Thank you Jusa, your feedback means a lot to me.

Erk

erk
aa
Aug 6, 2016
unknown.png

+Blu's first area has been detailed more thoroughly and the shack has been replaced with a much more detailed version

unknown.png

+The area around C has been reworked, turns out I dont really need that area to be so straight since the first area already covers it. The dynamic door that was set in place has also been removed.

unknown.png
'

+Since I made the area tighter, I decided to make the area to the right bigger in general, hopefully helping people find themselves in better positions

unknown.png

+Blu spawn now has a fence, partly for detailing but also to give them some extra cover so they aren't spawncamped that hard

unknown.png

+Close to D theres a prop jump that all classes can now go up. I added this because I felt that the extra mobility would help blu find their way up the hill.

unknown.png

+Also around D; I edited the walls around the hill to block sightlines, and removed the lamp since it wasnt necessary.

unknown.png

+There is a new building next to the hill to partly block sightlines (again) and to give blu more cover to push

unknown.png

+Close to last, I added a skybox brush to block grenades from being spammed across the main pathway

Erk

erk
aa
Aug 6, 2016
unknown.png

+Red has a new spawn- pushed farther back, along with some detailing and texture changes to make the layout easier to remember

unknown.png

With the contest being pretty close to finishing, I figured I might as well start

unknown.png

Ive detailed quite a few places to just get my foot in the door

unknown.png

+I've moved around A point, B point, and C point to try to space them out more evenly, with C point being directly outside of the cave at the end

unknown.png

+A point is now inside the cave

unknown.png

+B point is further into the cave

unknown.png

+There are now better signs available to help players navigate the map better

unknown.png

+ Added some more boxes

+ Can't really show this with pics but I did another clipping pass- certain props also have no collisions now

+Fixed trigger_teleport not working for Red spawns

474833118612946975.png
thanks 4 reading

Erk

erk
aa
Aug 6, 2016
unknown.png

More detailing around last, disp work and stuff
unknown.png

Rose the shack up a bit

unknown.png

Blu has a new spawn (again) this time being enabled after B is capped

unknown.png

Adjusted all the ammo and health placements to be farther apart from each other

unknown.png

First has a new building

Erk

erk
aa
Aug 6, 2016
unknown.png

-Rethemed Burner to be Halloween themed, currently no halloween gimmicks since I'm still working on the layout. Crumpkins are enabled, but I can't do anything about that. Just imagine you're playing on a Casual server with random crits or something.

unknown.png

-Pushed Red final spawn points further back to give Blu a better chance at catching them off-guard. Red now has to walk like 124 extra units to get to the front door. Hopefully enough to stop them from just going back and forth between respawns.

unknown.png

-Added a door that opens when the first point is capped. Previously always open and also not within its own building, this was a decision to make it easier for Red to understand where the frontlines are.

unknown.png

-There is now a rock before you get to first. This rocks sole existence is to block an irritating sightline.

unknown.png

-This area was mostly redone for the sakes of aesthetics but the interior is now a bit thinner and warmly lit.

unknown.png

-Removed a doorway that Red could irritate Blu players with.

-Removed some brushwork from the "Cave" section of the map around 1st point to free up space for Blu to push through. Hopefully this makes the map less cramped.

unknown.png

-Near last there's an additional hallway to make rotating between the final choke easier.

unknown.png

-There is also additional health nearby to help Blu push.

unknown.png

-Snipers kept peeking up and down with the ramp overlooking last point so I made the ramp thinner on one side to prevent that from happening as often or as effective.

-removed big headed shaquille o'neal