[OFFICIAL] TF2Maps Arctic Theme Pack Thread

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Made some signs, just for the heck of it.
4df9b5eaa3.jpg

Please don't use the Mann Co signs though. Follow the art direction of the other overlays.

Also your font is a bit off in any case. I use Arial Bold myself and it seems to match the standard signs fairly well (not perfectly, but close enough). I'm not sure what the font is for the MvM text, but the one you used is more stylized than the ones in game.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
They look exactly the same.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009

Go back to the old sign shape for starters. I dunno what happened, but it looks like they got "softened" on the corners.

New font with old "DANGER", shape, and "Mann Co" at the bottom and you have a winner.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008

Tacoman_

L1: Registered
Nov 19, 2014
So you guys havent heard of me for a while due to school getting really hectic and busy at the end of the year, and I kinda took a break from doing anything technical for a while. Though I have been working on the aurora particles trying to get them to look right.

After a few trashed iterations, I now present, the new aurora particles. These ones are actually a 3D "Snake" like real life auroras. I have yet to work on them looking more realistic and lowering the particle count as 500 particles seems like it will impact performance. An other quirk the particles have is that it takes 8 second for the particles to appear fully, with the first 6 seconds being invisible. This is due to having to set up the positions of particles first.

Here is a Video of the Aurora I made with SFM

Last edited:

Tacoman_

Nov 19, 2014
I'd make those a little bit bigger (Like, these takes up the WHOLE sky) and a little bit slower, and those could be pretty solid.

Probably a bit more transparent and you'd be good to go.

I did forget to mention that these ones are the small version. Havent measured how many HU but I would guess its about 450HU long and about 200HU wide.

And thakns for the feedback, I will make those changes and see how it goes.

Tacoman_

Nov 19, 2014
Maybe this is a stupid idea, but why not make them teamcolored?

I could do that, make one of them be orange/purple and the other one be cyan/blue-purple

EDIT: I have a question to you guys, Do you guys think I could release these particles on the SFM workshop aswell? or should I keep them exclusive to this pack

Last edited:

Izotope

Sourcerer
aa
May 13, 2013
This is so sexy that I want to make a map with that effect in the focus :B1:

Tacoman_

Nov 19, 2014
Here is the video -> https://youtu.be/v2VEZZ-cueU

I am planning on making my own textures in order to prevent those ugly jagged lines at the bottom and to remove those ugly lines on the top of the whole effect

You can see how it works and why it takes 10 seconds for the effect to show up properly. I am also worried at the particle count of ~850

Last edited:

Tacoman_

Nov 19, 2014
Update; New textures has been made. The only thing on the checklist is to find a way to set up the shape of the aurora in a predictable way as I had to reset the aurora like about 40 times to get it to look right in the video/pictures I am making.

I might also have to lower the particle count, current count is at ~920 for the large Aurora and ~400 for the small one. Although this would just thin out the aurora and make it look hollow so I dont think I should do that.

Here is a video of the current version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzMzr8PB0G4

Here is a picture
aurora_v2___4k_by_teh_tacoman-d925i81.png

Last edited:

Jethro

MUSty Complainer
Nov 2, 2009
I could do with a texturer to give me a hand with some models for this project.

thermostat.PNG
nobake.PNG

A thermostat, for a bit of small detail. Comes in at 144 tris.

Last edited:

iiboharz

eternally tired
aa
Nov 5, 2014
Imo it's a little too blocky and could also probably be a bit thinner. Loving it tho!