Next Contest 2015?

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
I actually wouldn't mind more frequent detailing-related contests, since I got a flood of ideas after this detail contest was over and it was a fun exercise.

Speaking of that contest though, when are the winners going to be posted? I mean, the poll is there for everyone to see, but last time the info thread was edited to announce the results.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Speaking of that contest though, when are the winners going to be posted? I mean, the poll is there for everyone to see, but last time the info thread was edited to announce the results.

They're coming, calm down. I just haven't decided how to handle the tied first place yet. Waiting on Drp to handle the VIP prizes.

Last edited:

Tupperwits

L2: Junior Member
Sep 24, 2012
The greatest thing that tf2maps contests do is make something more freely available to the community. The dynamic payload contest was fun and innovative because it had a stipulation open to interpretation. There are already A/D and asymmetrical maps. What exists in tf2 that is sorely under utilized?
Odd shaped CP? Dynamics routes? Environmental hazards? Triggered events? Joke maps? water?
I know it's probably gimmicky but isn't trying to make it work part of the fun?

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
The greatest thing that tf2maps contests do is make something more freely available to the community. The dynamic payload contest was fun and innovative because it had a stipulation open to interpretation. There are already A/D and asymmetrical maps. What exists in tf2 that is sorely under utilized?
Odd shaped CP? Dynamics routes? Environmental hazards? Triggered events? Joke maps? water?
I know it's probably gimmicky but isn't trying to make it work part of the fun?

You make a very good point! Certain gamemodes have been so established over mapping history, that maps using them might not bring them to their full potential. When a theme or gimmick is added to the mix, mappers are forced to rethink what makes playing a map fun. Just look at the recent MvA contest: Mappers had to make use of the theme of the contest, and came up with a bunch of new and exciting ideas around it, often surpassing their previous limits on what they could accomplish.

Waffe

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 2, 2012
I'd like an RD / Mannpower map contest. That'll spark some innovation for sure!

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
I'd like an RD / Mannpower map contest. That'll spark some innovation for sure!

Limiting it to just RD and Mannpower would probably provide us with a few neat entries, but it would also probably get us with a lot of unimaginative entries, or even possibly just a complete lack of participation (I know many people are not fans of either gamemode). I want to be as unrestrictive as possible, while still giving the contest a direction.

The only reason I'm (we're?) considering an asymmetry-only contest is because I'm (we're?) tired of seeing so many symmetrical maps. Aly was the one who brought it up, and I have to agree. That being said, it's not set in stone, and could very well change.

Oct 6, 2008
I like the innovation thing - I've been workign on a dual payload map where

blue pushes both cart, on pass node x the cart teleports to point x - the plr indicator resets to zero and then after the 2nd cart reaches point x it teleports to point x (that indicator resets) you then push bothcarts at the same time to the game end :)

It's looking pretty funky and I just have to tweak some of the coding more.

MegapiemanPHD

Doctorate in Deliciousness
aa
Mar 31, 2012
Maybe a contest that's broken up into multiple scoring areas instead of just "the best overall" like how most TF2 maps contests seem to be. Catagories like

Most innovative
Best use of theme
Best use of crates
Most optimized
Best individual point set up
Best visuals
Least amount of useless areas

so on and so forth. That way there can be simpler and broader themes and people won't feel forced into one specific thing.

Kube

aa
Aug 31, 2014
Maybe a contest that's broken up into multiple scoring areas instead of just "the best overall" like how most TF2 maps contests seem to be. Catagories like

-snip-

Most optimized

-snip-

so on and so forth. That way there can be simpler and broader themes and people won't feel forced into one specific thing.

I definitely like this idea, but this scoring area specifically feels unfair. A smaller, simpler map, by definition, is going to need less optimization in general in contrast to a larger, more complex map. I also feel that this judgement could turn away newer, less experienced mappers from the contest. But you do make a good point with the others!

Oct 6, 2008
Can't rememebr who here loves the shipping container but we should have a "best use of a shipping container' Award :p

Waffe

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 2, 2012
(...), or even possibly just a complete lack of participation (I know many people are not fans of either gamemode).

That would be the point of the competition. If you don't think RD/Mannpower is fun you have to MAKE it fun using new and "innovative" ideas (NOTE: even I dislike RD, but that's much due to rd_asteroid being meh).

RD is a new gamemode which really needs custom maps exploring its ideas and concepts. ALSO, as new as it is, you also have more freedom fiddling with the gamemode (as there's no real standard). You could make it A/D, more CTF focused or maybe have it emulating something like MVM

MegapiemanPHD

Doctorate in Deliciousness
aa
Mar 31, 2012
I definitely like this idea, but this scoring area specifically feels unfair. A smaller, simpler map, by definition, is going to need less optimization in general in contrast to a larger, more complex map. I also feel that this judgement could turn away newer, less experienced mappers from the contest. But you do make a good point with the others!

Well those where just some quick examples.

Kube

aa
Aug 31, 2014
Whatever the contest ends up being, I think we should push for an effort to get Valve's attention about it. I did some research, and I think that the last time Valve posted a news announcement about a TF2Maps contest was in 2012 with the Star_ KotH Contest. Then again, I don't think Valve has much of a history backing up these contests on their News page, but then then again, I see a lot of talk about comp matches and events, so...

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Something that I was considering for everyone is to just NOT have a contest. Go, start your own map, make what YOU want, not what some contest dictates.
You know what, this got me thinking: What if, instead of a contest contest, we just made the whole year an open-ended competition to come up with the best map, or the best map in a given gamemode, or the most innovative new idea, etc. Basically like vying for a Golden Globe or an Emmy or Game of the Year or whatever. Because, while we get some pretty good maps out of our contests, we also get some really good maps during the rest of the year, and maybe those deserve to win prizes even more. Or we get really promising maps that stop being updated while they're still in alpha. If everyone had a chance to win something for their efforts, they might be more motivated to see their projects to completion. (This motivation used to be the prospect of maybe getting their map bought by Valve, but as time goes on, this seems less and less likely to happen to anyone.)

Dec 28, 2014
You know what, this got me thinking: What if, instead of a contest contest, we just made the whole year an open-ended competition to come up with the best map, or the best map in a given gamemode, or the most innovative new idea, etc. Basically like vying for a Golden Globe or an Emmy or Game of the Year or whatever. Because, while we get some pretty good maps out of our contests, we also get some really good maps during the rest of the year, and maybe those deserve to win prizes even more. Or we get really promising maps that stop being updated while they're still in alpha. If everyone had a chance to win something for their efforts, they might be more motivated to see their projects to completion. (This motivation used to be the prospect of maybe getting their map bought by Valve, but as time goes on, this seems less and less likely to happen to anyone.)

Yeah I actually really like this idea. It would give people a lot of time to work on their maps and a lot of time to play test them and get them refined to a RC or final state. Of course the potential down side is that people may loose interest in their map if they have an entire year, though if there was a big prize it could make people motivated.

yoghurt

L1: Registered
Aug 2, 2013

I like the idea about an annual mapping awards show :p

Oct 6, 2008

Kraken

Few more zeros and ones for the site to proccess
Dec 21, 2014
A special deliver 72h contest would make a lot sense. There is a lot to innovate, sine there is like 2 official maps that are basically the same.