Refer to my previous post.
you clearly have no understanding of how much work is involved in making a map

this is a shit deal, take it elsewhere

angry

L1: Registered
Mar 6, 2016
you clearly have no understanding of how much work is involved in making a map

this is a shit deal, take it elsewhere

No respect? We stated we are willing to negotiate prices, and that we can decline you if we find you unsuitable in some aspect. This includes pricing. Please, if you think it's a shit deal, you don't have to be here. Just move on.

$20 is like one four-hour work day...

Also no-one's gonna take your offer seriously if you're offering payment through keys.

Again, we stated we are willing to do paypal, though we are reluctant. We will not spend around 100 USD for a map. We are not looking for an entirely, new big thing. We are looking for a map that is usable and fits the criteria.

Seriously, we aren't cheap or evil or anything like that. We are not looking for backlash because of "cheapness." We are looking for mapmakers who want to come to an agreed price, and if it's considered too high, we won't do it. That simple.

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
nobody will work that cheap

in the time it would take to make such a map, they could earn so much more doing Literally Anything Else

it upsets me that people probably fall for these horrible deals sometimes and undersell themselves so dramatically

angry

Mar 6, 2016
nobody will work that cheap

in the time it would take to make such a map, they could earn so much more doing Literally Anything Else

it upsets me that people probably fall for these horrible deals sometimes and undersell themselves so dramatically

I've already stated many times that we are willing to negotiate prices, and if you can't understand that, that's fine. There are many mapmakers out there looking for less than 100 USD. Honestly, it's not necessarily underselling.

Also, literally anything else? I find that statement untrue, as I am typing this with no payment being received. Just a nitpick though.

Not gonna respond further if you say anything that my clarification has stated. It's honestly a waste of time for both of us.

angry

Mar 6, 2016
eh, I don't really mind underselling as long as I'm getting EXPOSURE. tell me how high profile your server is and I might just do it for free

New server starting up. Not a huge budget to start out with, but chances are we can negotiate some deals in the future after the first payment is made. (After the server begins growing etc.).

This is, of course, assuming the server goes according to plan. You will get your exposure and money. Think of it like an investment.

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
People like you are why the arts are so undervalued.

A mapping project of this scale will take at least a week of full-time work. I am seriously underestimating here. That's 8 hours per day, totaling 56 hours of work, absolute minimum.

If you were to value this 56 hours at even $2/hr you get $112. That's incredibly underselling a profession which already doesn't have very much respect. The minimum wage is $9.60 here. I could literally go to my job for 56 hours and make 4 TIMES as much as you're offering. Remember: that is absolute minimum.

People might be willing to work for $1/hr but YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. No self-respecting professional would even think of picking up a commission at that rate. Apologies, but please, learn to value the arts more.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Mapmakers working for less than $100 are most definitely underselling. Either that or they're really shit and/or desperate.

You've got to understand that that's way too low an amount to be working for. You claim that your prices are "negotiable" but your starting price is insultingly low, and you've stated you don't want to offer $100 (which is still below average).

Like I said before, your idea of a reasonable price is even lower than what you'd get working a mundane part-time job for about the same amount of time it'd take to make this map. Seriously, I'd earn more working at McDonald's.

TF2Maps is for people who take mapping seriously. If you want your map to be made on such a budget, go somewhere else.

Three Million

L4: Comfortable Member
Jul 2, 2015
Can this thread be locked or something if a deal isnt reached? IMO, this isnt very constructive postings. Also just putting my name down if anything does become of this thread. I could use the expereince~

angry

Mar 6, 2016
Mapmakers working for less than $100 are most definitely underselling. Either that or they're really shit and/or desperate.

You've got to understand that that's way too low an amount to be working for. You claim that your prices are "negotiable" but your starting price is insultingly low, and you've stated you don't want to offer $100 (which is still below average).

Like I said before, your idea of a reasonable price is even lower than what you'd get working a mundane part-time job for about the same amount of time it'll take to make this map.

People like you are why the arts are so undervalued.

A mapping project of this scale will take at least a week of full-time work. I am seriously underestimating here. That's 8 hours per day, totaling 56 hours of work, absolute minimum.

If you were to value this 56 hours at even $2/hr you get $112. That's incredibly underselling a profession which already doesn't have very much respect. The minimum wage is $9.60 here. I could literally go to my job for 56 hours and make 4 TIMES as much as you're offering. Remember: that is absolute minimum.

People might be willing to work for $1/hr but YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. No self-respecting professional would even think of picking up a commission at that rate. Apologies, but please, learn to value the arts more.

I'm going to quickly ask, may I post links to other websites here? If so, there is a professional mapmaker who is asking for 60 euros per commission (varying on size and degree.)

Also, according to FlyBoyG (Apparently "Accomplished Mapmaker.), this is what he states:

FlyBoyG[S] 6 points 2 years ago

~20 hours for a small map.

~80 hours max for huge map.

Map making is very time consuming.

Yeah, definitely time consuming, but 50+ hours? I doubt that.

yeah my post was satire, just so we're clear

Should have put that in a spoiler. Hard to tell satire text over legitimate ones.

Three Million

L4: Comfortable Member
Jul 2, 2015
I'm going to quickly ask, may I post links to other websites here? If so, there is a professional mapmaker who is asking for 60 euros per commission (varying on size and degree.)

Also, according to FlyBoyG (Apparently "Accomplished Mapmaker.), this is what he states:

FlyBoyG[S] 6 points 2 years ago

~20 hours for a small map.

~80 hours max for huge map.

Map making is very time consuming.

Yeah, definitely time consuming, but 50+ hours? I doubt that.
Go to him/her then. Dont ask us.

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
if he thinks he can do it in that time for that money go for it but i feel sorry for him

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
If you're going elsewhere, then the discussion is over. You get what you pay for - their estimations are for their work, not ours. Never assume everybody does the same work for the same time for the same price.

The discussion is over - the thread is now locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.