Movies that are worth watching

Bunbun

aa
May 18, 2014
So big hero 6 came out with a lot of talk about it, is it worth spending money on watching?

Mar 23, 2010
Interstellar was the best movie.

Oct 6, 2008
Ok - Time to show my age...and my artistic intellectual side:

1] The Big Country - Gregory Peck turned out to be one of my role models and this was the movie that did it - It shows you how to be a man - not only to yourself (which is key) but also to others.

2] Aria - 6 directors were given 1 piece of opera music each, a budget and were then told - do what ever you want. Elvis is in and it was Brigette Fonda's first movie.

3] Farewell My Concubine - Cool movie that really does protray the curse "may you live in an interesting age"

4] Madame Butterfly - watch it with your girlfriend and show her your sensitive side lol :)

Bakscratch

Finisher of Maps
aa
Oct 29, 2010
Filth - Awesome

Under The Skin - Awesome Bonus naked Scarlett Johansson

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
So big hero 6 came out with a lot of talk about it, is it worth spending money on watching?

Yes, fantastic film.

Interstellar isn't the best, but it's got fantastic science and is really special if you like proper science in your science fictuion :D <3 it

The Immitation game was good but not fantastic. Bendytoots gives a good performance and keira knightly didn't spoil everything.

Nightcrawler was really good. Dark and creepy.

Latest Hungry Games was poop. It doesn't work as a standalone film, only as part of the whole story, which is getting shitter every installment. Natalie Dormer though. Her hair, her face, everything. hot dang.

Apparently paddington is 9/10 material but I haven't gone to see it yet. It's been consistently SUPER busy at the cinema since its november release.

In recent BluRay purchases:
The Grand Budapest Hotel. If I didn't rave about this before, let me rave aobout it now: RAVE
Star Trek TNG - gooood god the HD remaster is amazing quality. They rescanned all the film negatives so the quality is crystal clarity.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Since Crash (I assume) thinks closing off topic threads in the off topic forum is a clever idea.... I'll resurrect this thread.

Catching up with all the films I've seen this year:

Mad Max Fury Road
Probably the best action film that I've ever seen. Instantly a favourite. Saw it 4 times in the end. The action is perfect, the style is amazing, the world is super rich with details, but there's no exposition dumps, no one explains what's up, you just get to see it in action. The characters are decent and varied and unlike many other things dealing with rape (I'm looking at you GoT) it isn't shit at it.

Jurassic World
This film is dumb. Dumb as all heck. Probably one of THE DUMBEST films in a very long time.
That said....
This film ROCKS. Really enjoyed it. The whole second half once the proper dinosaur action starts just continually ramps up and ends up being really epic.
Plus Chris Pratt.

Avengers Age of Ultron
Not a marvel fan but I enjoy the films. This was every bit as good as the first Avengers, if not slightly better. You already know if you'd enjoy this or not.

Kingsman
Kinda fun. Good action. Not really all that great but plenty enjoyable.

Ex Machina
Finally caught up with this one. It's not great I won't lie but lots of people think it's a really good AI film. I just thought it was ham handed and a bit sexist tbh.

Jupiter Ascending
Utter dogshite. Unbelievably bad. I can't even begin to describe how shit this was.

Chappie
If you enjoyed District 9 and Elysium, this one is for you. It's full of character and humour. The story is a bit hammily done but it's an enjoyable film. I thought Die Antwoord would be absolutely terrible but they were actually really quite good and never felt out of place.
Hugh Jackman's mullet though....

Tomorrowland
Weirdly boring. Like, there's a lot of stuff happening and it could all be so interesting, but somehow it manages to be really really dull. A bit baffling tbh. Not one I'd recommend

Bunbun

aa
May 18, 2014
Has anyone seen spy yet? Is it worth watching?

Mad Max Fury Road
Probably the best action film that I've ever seen. Instantly a favourite. Saw it 4 times in the end. The action is perfect, the style is amazing, the world is super rich with details, but there's no exposition dumps, no one explains what's up, you just get to see it in action. The characters are decent and varied and unlike many other things dealing with rape (I'm looking at you GoT) it isn't shit at it.

Agreed, it's a shame that most movies rely too much on cgi and everything becomes to computer-y, also that guitar guy stole the whole show.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Spy has been hugely popular. lots of very full showings. I haven't seen it myself since no one in the cast thrills me.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Since Crash (I assume) thinks closing off topic threads in the off topic forum is a clever idea.... I'll resurrect this thread.

Yes, I closed a thread with zero content. And look, the out come of doing so was actual content!

So yeah, pretty clever apparently.

Nov 2, 2010
Spy has been hugely popular. lots of very full showings. I haven't seen it myself since no one in the cast thrills me.

I watched the trailer and I have inferred:
  • Jude Law will be in it for about ten minutes
  • Jason Statham will say 'twat' as 'twot' because of weird Amerikan marketing
  • 99% of the jokes will be the fact that Melissa McCarthy is fat and obnoxious
  • Melissa McCarthy will be fat and obnoxious

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Yes, I closed a thread with zero content. And look, the out come of doing so was actual content!

So yeah, pretty clever apparently.

Dude, the spam quotient of this forum is basically zero. Way lower than any other forum I've been part of. Let people goof off in off topic. No one was being offensive, nor rude or problematic. Our off topic board is dead enough as it is, without your heavy handed thread-locking.

Ælement

Comfortably mediocre
aa
Dec 21, 2010
So, since you revived the thread because of the mad max one, i guess we could talk about just that movie?

I found it very entertaining. I have not seen the older mad max films, but the cast or the plot never felt confusing, drawn out or anything. Neat non-cgi effects. Action packed. Avoids dumb cliches (male and female leads falling in love etc). Open ending. I'm a bad movie critic. Banana.

I'd watch it again. That says a lot for me, as i'm generally not a big movie guy.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Just back from Independence day Resurgence so I thought I'd add to this with things I've seen this year:

• Zootopia - wonderful Disney animation, not the sing-song type like Frozen, and it even jabs a joke or two towards the classic sing song Disney genre.
  • Deadpool - Pretty enjoyable. Not the divine perfection parts of the internet think it was but certainly not bad. TJ Miller was unsurprisingly the low point, maybe it's just me but I find he drags everything he's in down a bit.
  • Bats v Supes - I seem to think this was a lot better than the extremely pessimistic internet hivemind thinks. Sure they don't know how to characterise Superman yet, or Lois Lane (on top of the way I find Amy Adams generally awful anyway) but the action was good, and Batfleck and Jeremy Irons as Alfred were both fantastic and I'd take a solo Batfleck film any day. They also at least made a conscious effort to take the fighting away from the city this time so it wasn't just millions of people dying while 'heroes' fight (although they then immediately "oh shit we need to go back to the city" for no good reason). I dunno, it was extremely dumb but batfleck was good.
  • X Men: Apocalypse - Another film where they went for emotional impact but failed. I always enjoy Magneto and Fox's quicksilver is fantastic. This film crosses the entire quality spectrum, some is amazing and some is super dumb. Overall it was as ok as any other X Men film (except the solo Wolverine films, those are gaaarrrrbaaaage)
  • 10 Cloverfield Lane - Excellent. I really enjoyed this. If you're avoiding watching this due to not liking Cloverfield, they're nothing alike, and it's not a sequel. So watch it.
  • The Witch - Seen some love for this but I'd rank it as possibly one of the worst horror films I've ever seen. Good for maybe a "hey let's laugh at a shit film" night? No score was probably a great decision, but unfortunately any tension is ruined by screeeechy violins, they should have just let the quiet scenes be eerily quiet. The lead actress is pretty good but the rest of the family is such a caricature of original pilgrim Christians they're just hilarious. Me and the friend I watched it with laughed all the way through
  • The Nice Guys - This was pretty ok. I don't think it was anything special some good, funny moments. Russel Crow and Ryan Gosling give alright performances but are completely outshone by the daughter character. She was good.
  • Independence Day Resurgence - I've seen some extreme negativity for this but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I dunno what people really expected out of a sequel but this hit every point thought about after watching the original as a child. It's cheesy, it's got more aliens, it's got new elements, they didn't try and one up the inspirational speech, and most importantly it's got a ton more Brent Spiner.

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
you know whats a good movie?

The Martian

great logical extreme of the stranded survivor trope and i found it genuinely enthralling

MegapiemanPHD

Doctorate in Deliciousness
aa
Mar 31, 2012
Couple of good Foreign Films (Foreign to the US at least. Maybe not to you depending on where you live.)

Michiel de Ruyter (Admiral in the US) - *Dutch with Multiple language subtitles* Interesting film about Dutch Admiral Michiel de Ruyter. Some good ship on ship battles as well as drama between the Dutch and the English.

Huo Yuanjia (Fearless or Jet Li's Fearless in US) - *Chinese with Multiple Language subtitles* Just a fantastic martial arts film loosely biased on the life of Huo Yuanjia, a martial artist who challenged the western imperialism of China. One of my favorite films with some great fights and good character development.

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
Just saw Finding Dory, that was quite good. Not too sappy, and satisfyingly it felt like a proper Finding movie. More enjoyable than anything else, it didn't try to milk out laughs. No spoilers on the plot, though; let Pixar storytelling do Pixar storytelling.

Also just watched 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first tim; it's on Netflix. What a wonderful ambiance this movie has. I love sci-fi that presents a wholly realized vision of the future, and that's exactly why I love 2001. Understand humanity's final frontier like never before. Go in with a blank slate to understand why the movie is considered a classic. Some of the visual effects of this nearly fifty-year-old movie blow me away today. My final comment would be that it's a very artsy film? Just keep that in mind when sitting down for its >2hr running time.

Hotel Detective

L4: Comfortable Member
Dec 10, 2014
  • Bats v Supes - I seem to think this was a lot better than the extremely pessimistic internet hivemind thinks. Sure they don't know how to characterise Superman yet, or Lois Lane (on top of the way I find Amy Adams generally awful anyway) but the action was good, and Batfleck and Jeremy Irons as Alfred were both fantastic and I'd take a solo Batfleck film any day. They also at least made a conscious effort to take the fighting away from the city this time so it wasn't just millions of people dying while 'heroes' fight (although they then immediately "oh shit we need to go back to the city" for no good reason). I dunno, it was extremely dumb but batfleck was good.
I liked it too, I'm not really a big DC Comics fan, but as a man who just enjoys movie-going I thought it was good enough for what it wanted to be. I didn't like the final battle.

Also Batfleck I believe is getting his own trilogy and appearing in Suicide Squad, should be interesting to see if he becomes an iconic name to the Bat Role.