TMax2725

L1: Registered
May 23, 2020
I am making a pretty big cave map thats completely underground and I've made 2/3 of the spawns. This is my first map and I'm used to dealing with 3d modeling software because I spend alot of time working in blender. Anyhow I have a few questions. I have modeled the first 3rd of the map in cube shapes and then I will apply displace and make them into a cave etc. My problem is that when I tried to do that on the portion I've made so far, it kinda got screwed up. I managed to fix it by destroying the displacements. Does anyone have any tips for making large caves? Also I was having trouble sewing faces together (yes they were both the same number of displacement). Btw the map is a payload and I have no damn clue how to make the payload triggers or whatever. Also I've made the map all on graph paper before hand. Another question would be how to make one spawn switch teams mid game when the cart caps a certain point. Sorry if I posted this incorrectly but I'm just getting used to the site and also to hammer.

14bit

L14: Bit Member
aa
Oct 5, 2014
Hey! I highly recommend joining our Discord server so that we can help your with questions like this a bit faster. The forums are slow, and it's easy to miss new threads like this. It's much easier to give one-on-one help in real time over Discord.

Displacement power number doesn't matter for sewing displacements; all edges of displacements need to line up perfectly or be exactly half for them to sew. Here's some great information on Displacements and their requirements!

For the Payload logic, we recommend using ABS's gamemode prefabs to get you started. Payload is one of the most logically complex modes in the game, so using the pre-made templates is encouraged.

To get spawn rooms to switch teams mid-round, you're going to have to deal with Source's I/O system. There's a bunch of great documentation on that available here. You can either figure out how to do it yourself (almost everyone does that kind of thing by hand and everyone's a little different in their methodology) or you can take a look at how Valve did it in Upward. You can find the decompiled .vmf files for that and all other official maps here!