Major Contest #18: Stack the Deck [Finalists Voting]

14bit

L14: Bit Member
aa
Oct 5, 2014
2024_tf2m__contest57_banner_finalists_voting_1.jpg

Banner artwork by @Pdan4, background by @MC_Labs15

Main Thread | Upload Thread | Voting (Preliminary) | Voting (Finalists) | Results

Voting Deadline: October 1, 2024 2:00pm EDT (18:00 UTC)

Let's all give a round of applause for everyone who worked on a map for this contest! And let's give it up for our top 10!
From highest Y/N ratio to lowest, our finalists are:
  1. pl_desolation_b3a_bugfix by @MayaMogus
  2. koth_splinter_b4 by @Idolon @zythe_ @pont and @Sarexicus
  3. cp_underway_b2 by @Brandini Panini
  4. cp_thalassophobia_b5i_fix_2 by @RatsInYourWalls
  5. ctf_chouhen_b5a by @AlrexX [she/they]
  6. cp_siege_b2 by @robopan
  7. cp_lamworth_a12 by @Auwi
  8. pd_azureworld_b1 by @Seacat08 @Stack Man @Pinewabble and @Lacry
  9. cp_shanksgiving_b6 by @MegapiemanPHD @FGD5 and @SedimentarySocks
  10. pl_conclave_b6b by @GuardianAngel
Click here to see all the vote tallies and scores!

The spreadsheet lists all the maps in the order they were submitted. To view them ordered by score, you can switch to the "Scores (Decending)" view, found here:
firefox_2024-08-27_13-38-02.png

Download the map pack (thanks to @nesman !) here!

@Pdan4 will be contacting the finalists to discuss what your finalist map cards will look like soon.

AND NOW, THE FINALS:
Now it's time for the penultimate act. We'll need the help of our seven magical assistants (judges), @14bit, @Sonoma, @Diva Dan, @Erk, @Defcon, @ScarlettValkrie, and @Yacan1! They will be showing up for scheduled Finalist Judging tests during the judging period.

This finale will have you all on the edge of your seats, but don't get too rowdy or turn this into a sports game! We stagehands will be keeping along and making sure people don't get riled up as the results carry on - we are all here to have fun after all - so keep in mind that if things get heated or frenzied, we will implement score censoring until the polls close. Please don't solicit tallies or offer them. So, let's try to keep a lighthearted atmosphere in our hobbyist community and magic amphitheater tonight! And please make sure you've played and are voting on the specific map versions listed in this post.

All scores are out of 10. Decimals are allowed. All maps will be judged based on two main categories as previously stated, Gameplay and Detailing. Gameplay is worth 67% of the final score, and Detailing is worth 33%. All public scores will be averaged and will be worth 60% of the final score. Judge scores will be averaged, and will be worth 40% of the final score.

Gameplay and Detailing each have two subcategories, each worth 50% of their main category: Overall, and Card Usage.

To track your own scores, a spreadsheet with all of the calculations is available here for you to make a copy of:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gARFTpSVZg4AzFdLJACI4Ebq4_tsPzodxLK-6U2i6L8/edit?usp=sharing

JUDGING CRITERIA:
GAMEPLAY:

The Overall Gameplay score is how well the map plays, out of a maximum of 10 points.
  • Is the map unique?
  • Is the map balanced?
  • Is the map fun?
The Gameplay Card Usage score is how well the claimed/valid Gameplay cards are integrated into the map, out of a maximum of 10 points. You may score every card individually and average them into a score of 10 if you wish.
  • How well are the chosen cards integrated into the map?
  • Were the chosen cards beneficial or harmful to the gameplay of the map?
  • (If applicable) Did going for more than the minimum number of cards benefit or harm the gameplay of the map?
DETAILING:
The Overall Detailing score is how good the map looks, out of a maximum of 10 points.
  • Is the map visually interesting?
  • Is the detailing complete?
  • Does the map accomplish the art direction it is going for?
The Detailing Card Usage score is how well the claimed/valid Gameplay cards are integrated into the map, out of a maximum of 10 points. You may score every card individually and average them into a score of 10 if you wish.
  • How well are the chosen cards integrated into the map?
  • Were the chosen cards beneficial or harmful to the detailing of the map?
  • (If applicable) Did going for more than the minimum number of cards benefit or harm the detailing of the map?

*If there is a tie at the end of this vote, we will introduce tiebreaker voting (the card printing company only allows enough for 10; it is a physical limitation out of our control in our price range and pack quantity, unfortunately).

HOW TO VOTE:
To track your scores, a spreadsheet with all of the calculations is available here for you to make a copy of:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gARFTpSVZg4AzFdLJACI4Ebq4_tsPzodxLK-6U2i6L8/edit?usp=sharing

To vote, please enter your scores into a table in this thread like the one shown below. You must vote on all 10 maps for your ballot to be valid. Calculated scores will be automatically done by our final spreadsheet. Please use the linked spreadsheet above to see what your scores calculate to, as tables on the forum can't do math! Feedback/notes are optional, but strongly encouraged! Spoilers for notes for each map are included in the copy-pasteable template below.

MAPOverall Gameplay (score out of 10)Gameplay Card Usage (score out of 10)Overall Detailing (score out of 10)Detailing Card Usage (score out of 10)
pl_desolation_b3a_bugfix
cp_thalassophobia_b5i_fix_2
ctf_chouhen_b5a
cp_siege_b2
koth_splinter_b4
pl_conclave_b6b
cp_shanksgiving_b6
cp_underway_b2
cp_lamworth_a12
pd_azureworld_b1

Code:
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TH]MAP[/TH]
[TH]Overall Gameplay (score out of 10)[/TH]
[TH]Gameplay Card Usage (score out of 10)[/TH]
[TH]Overall Detailing (score out of 10)[/TH]
[TH]Detailing Card Usage (score out of 10)[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]pl_desolation_b3a_bugfix[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]cp_thalassophobia_b5i_fix_2[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]ctf_chouhen_b5a[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]cp_siege_b2[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]koth_splinter_b4[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]pl_conclave_b6b[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]cp_shanksgiving_b6[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]cp_underway_b2[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]cp_lamworth_a12[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]pd_azureworld_b1[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[SPOILER="Feedback for pl_desolation_b3a_bugfix"]Put notes here![/SPOILER]
[SPOILER="Feedback for cp_thalassophobia_b5i_fix_2"]Put notes here![/SPOILER]
[SPOILER="Feedback for ctf_chouhen_b5a"]Put notes here![/SPOILER]
[SPOILER="Feedback for cp_siege_b2"]Put notes here![/SPOILER]
[SPOILER="Feedback for koth_splinter_b4"]Put notes here![/SPOILER]
[SPOILER="Feedback for pl_conclave_b6b"]Put notes here![/SPOILER]
[SPOILER="Feedback for cp_shanksgiving_b6"]Put notes here![/SPOILER]
[SPOILER="Feedback for cp_underway_b2"]Put notes here![/SPOILER]
[SPOILER="Feedback for cp_lamworth_a12"]Put notes here![/SPOILER]
[SPOILER="Feedback for pd_azureworld_b1"]Put notes here![/SPOILER]

LIST OF THE MAPS' CARDS:
Put together by 14bit with added detail from the uploaders' posts, brought in by Pdan4.
------------------------------------------
Desolation

pl_desolation_b3a_bugfix​

By MayaMogus

Gameplay:​

#6 - VALID - "Respawn Room switches Teams: RED's first spawn becomes BLU's spawn after C is capped"
#8 - VALID - "3 or More Objectives in a Stage: Self-Explanatory, there are 4 objective points."
#9 - VALID - "The map contains a delay mechanic On C, there is an elevator you must wait to raise up to continue pushing the cart."
#12 - VALID - "At least one objective involves an elevator: To cap point A, you must use a payload elevator to cap, akin to Pheonix Last."

Detail:​

#3 - VALID - "Map Contains weather events: Throughout the map there is snow blowing around"
#5 - VALID - "Throughout the map visible details make noise: In the facility there are many areas that feature computers, machinery or lava that create noise and ambience"
#6 - VALID - "Have Team Coloured Lighting: The first half of the map is set mainly outdoors, in cold lighting, but C and D feature more warm (red and orange) lighting from the foundry lava or warmer lights in the buildings"

--------------
Thalassophobia

cp_thalassophobia_b5i_fix_2​

By RatsInYourWalls

#3 - VALID - "Riding the big gear up crushes you"
#7 - VALID - "Point A is in a 512x512 room"
#8 - VALID - "There are 3 capture points"
#15 - VALID - "The big gear at point C acts as cover"

#1 - VALID - "The big gear is a non stock hero prop"
#5 - VALID - "Computers make computer noises"
#4 - VALID - "Out of bounds area is next to a deep sea trench"

--------------
Chouhen

ctf_chouhen_b5a​

By AlrexX

#3 - VALID - "Inside the mainframe room there is an exposed electrical box tucked in a corner that will damage nearby players and instantly kill anyone who touches it."
#4 - VALID - "RED spawn is directly above terminal B, and even has a one way window that allows them to see it from inside their spawn."
#5 - VALID - "Both RED and BLU spawn never change."
#7 - VALID - "The mainframe room is exactly 512x512 (unless my measurements are wrong)."
#8 - VALID - "There's a total of 4 objectives."
#10 - VALID - "Terminals A and B are 1024 units from eachother. I believe this may also be true for B and C but I don't know how to verify that."
#14 - VALID - "The tf_logic_cp_timer entity is used for the mainframe, and also opens/closes the doors to access the room accordingly."

#1 - VALID - "The holographic globe and the crane in the main outside area could be considered hero props."
#2 - VALID - "The map is set in Hong Kong."
#4 - VALID - "The vistas around the map are of a sprawling cityscape. (Judging by feedback it's notable enough, lol)"
#5 - VALID - "The exposed electrical box in the mainframe room emits an electric humming sound. Doesn't feel like the best match but I couldn't find anything better..."

--------------

Siege

cp_siege_b2​

By robopan

#3 - VALID - "The cannons people launch off of deal explosive damage that can kill low health players."
#5 - VALID - "Both spawns never change."
#8 - VALID - "There are 3 capture points."
#14 - VALID - "The last point is analogous to how Degroot Keep's last point works."
#15 - VALID - "The A point (the Well) has cover inside the capture point, similar to a nipple."

#2 - VALID - "The map is set in a european medieval fortress."
#4 - VALID - "(Maybe?) You can see the river flowing as a vista in the 3D skybox."
#5 - VALID - "The fire, gears and waterfall make noise (although the medieval warfare soundscape kinda dampens them)."

--------------

Splinter

koth_splinter_b4​

By Idolon and zythe_, with assets by pont and Sarexicus

#1 - VALID - "There are four stages."
#2 - VALID - "There are four stages."
#3 - VALID - "Sawblade."
#6 - VALID - "The spawnroom in the Minehead stage is used for both teams."
#7 - VALID - "Bunker stage point is in an enclosed space smaller than 512x512."
#11 - VALID - "Three of the four point designs all feature significant playable space accessible to all classes over the control point."
#15 - VALID - "Sawblade."

Detail:
#2 - VALID - "Map is set in Germany/Austria."
#4 - VALID - "Big open vista on Sawmill stage."
#5 - VALID - "Multiple waterfalls, sawblade, idling truck."

--------------

Conclave

pl_conclave_b6b​

By GuardianAngel

#1 - VALID - "Map has 2 stages"
#8 - VALID - "3 objectives in both stages"
#9 - VALID - "S1 door leading to C, S2 has route that opens on A. S2 routes from B to C open after capping B"
#12 - VALID - "S1 C is an elevator for the cart"

#4 - VALID - "S1 has views of the canyon and the expanse beyond. S2, same view but there's a train zoomin by."
#5 - VALID - "Most computers make noise, burst steam pipe near S1 A. S1 dripping air vent outside Red's second spawn. S2 Train honks its horn as it passes. S2 turbine room and lair room have engine noise."

--------------

Shanksgiving

cp_shanksgiving_b6​

By MegapiemanPHD, with assets by FGD5 and SedimentarySocks

#3 - VALID - "Map has at least one non-deathpit hazard - Drowning in water, Ignited by bonfire"
#8 - VALID - "At least 3 objectives in a single stage - 3 capture points"
#14 - VALID - "Make use of the tf_logic_cp_timer entity - Degroot Keep style A/D"
#15 - VALID - "At least one of the objectives has unusual cover - A point hay stack"

#2 - VALID - "map is set in a location other than the United Stages - Norfolk Island, Australia"
#5 - VALID - "Have visable details throughout the map make ambient noises - fire"

--------------

Underway

cp_underway_b2​

By Brandini Panini

#3 - VALID - "Map has at least one non-deathpit hazard (Saw on A)"
#6 - VALID - "At least one spawnroom can change ownership (Red's first spawn becomes blu's last spawn)"
#8 - VALID - "At least 3 objectives in a single stage (3 CP)"
#11 - VALID - "At least one objective under another, separate playable space (Area over B)"
#15 - VALID - "At least one of the objectives has unusual cover (Wall dividing B)"

#4 - VALID - "Your out-of-bounds area(s) should set your map in a notable vista(s) (Giant bridge over map and valley below)"
#5 - VALID - "Have visible details throughout the map make ambient noises (Saw, Vehicles, Generators, Lights, Pipes)"

--------------

Lamworth

cp_lamworth_a12​

By Auwi

#1 - VALID - "Map has second stage"
#4 - VALID - "Active spawnroom directly below/above active objective (Red's stage 1 spawnroom is directly below CP 2)"
#5 - VALID - "Spawnroom never changes, even across multiple stages (Blu keeps same spawnroom on both stage 1 and stage 2)"
#7 - VALID - "One objective in room no bigger than 512x512 (Stage 2 CP 1 is in small room)"
#9 - VALID - "Contains delay mechanic (Stage 1 door between CP 1 and CP 2 is delayed and opens slowly)"
#10 - VALID - "At least two objectives within 1024hu of each other (Stage 2 CP 1 and CP 2 within 1024hu)"
#11 - VALID - "At least one objective under a separate playable space (Stage 2 CP 1 has playable space above)"
#15 - VALID - "At least one objective has unusual cover (Stage 2 CP 2)"

#2 - VALID - "Map is set outside of the United States (It's in London!)"
#4 - VALID - "Map is set in a notable vista (Among landmarks of London)"

--------------

Azure world

pd_azureworld_b1​

By Seacat08 and Stack Man, with assets by Pinewabble and Lacry

#3 - VALID - "Multiple details around the map injure the player from a non-deathpit hazard, such as the torches igniting players letting them burn."
#5 - VALID - "Both team's spawns stay the same through the entire match"
#7 - VALID - "The boardwalk point is in a little shack measuring out to under 512 x 512 units"
#9 - VALID - "As it is PD the point is disabled for 30 or so seconds after the cap time is over"
#10 - DISCARD - the objectives are 1068.172271hu apart at their closest point
#11 - VALID - "The boardwalk shacks are accessible and able to be played on without direct access to the capture area."
#15 - VALID - "The main building point has a fountain, statue and concave capture zone leading to some unusual cover to play around"

#1 - VALID - "There are multiple hero props found around the map such as the statue in the main building and the lighthouse"
#2 - VALID - "The map is set in an Italian styled resort with Italian influences and signs"
#3 - DISCARD - after extensive discussion among judges. It is not a "major" part of the map, as the rule states, since the two effects are only seen in one room each."
#4 - VALID - "The 3d skybox contains a perfect view of the cove that t"he resort lies in with a glimpse of the ocean beyond, alongside a mountain off in the distance
#5 - VALID - "Multiple details contain sounds like record players playing music, bongos and bells that make sounds when you hit them alongside flowing streams and bubbling lava" (Note from Pdan4: the boost pads seem to make a very, very faint humming noise.)
#6 - VALID - "Red side is coated in yellow and red lighting with Red spawn being illuminated by lava. Blue spawn is painted in cooler colours mainly coming from the damp caves and flowing streams that are on that side of the map."
#7 - VALID - "The skybox uses moving clouds, a moving orca and when the point is captured the orca bursts through the boardwalk in the skybox."

Good luck everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:

MayaMogus

L3: Member
Dec 9, 2023
I have not played Thalassophobia YET (oopsie :3) but I feel giving my votes for the rest now won‘t do much harm. Congrats again to all entries and good luck to the other finalists !!!
MAPOverall Gameplay (score out of 10)Gameplay Card Usage (score out of 10)Overall Detailing (score out of 10)Detailing Card Usage (score out of 10)
pl_desolation_b3a_bugfixThisismine:)
cp_thalassophobia_b5i_fix_2NoVoteYetStay tuned ;)
ctf_chouhen_b5a56.58.56
cp_siege_b26.566.54.5
koth_splinter_b47.5795
pl_conclave_b6b5665
cp_shanksgiving_b65464
cp_underway_b27776
cp_lamworth_a128854
pd_azureworld_b156.588.5

I gave (a hopefully accurate) final score of each vote using the table provided that calculates it. these scores are subject to change though so don’t get too attached

Thank you all for playing my map. It’s been a blast to work on it. I started this contest with no inkling of what makes a good map and I’m blessed to have been able to create something you all had fun on. thanks to all who’ve been desolation-heads since day 1 or will vote on it well after the last few weeks of tests. Regardless, this is a contest so I concede there are flaws to my map yes, so I’ll take any criticism in the votes happily, as to improve the next version. Thank you all again, and may the best map win :3
stay tuned for more folks
(6.245) Chouhen was a very interesting map to see develop with its game mode changes and whatnot but I think it's found a somewhat stable foundation for a good map. It's gameplay card choices are very well executed and it's fun to see where they're used (the spawn above B is v cool :3) but the gameplay itself feels a bit unfocused at times near C mostly. The detailing is quite nice but does get quite busy, but is still overall quite nice to look at. It’s just the gameplay inconsistency that kinda does it for me unfortunately, but it’s still fun
(6.003) Out of the two medieval maps, siege is the better of the two imo. Both of the maps suffer from being quite similar to degroot and relying too heavily on the timer mechanic, but where siege does better is that it tries more to have a unique identity, mostly with its cannon gimmick. Still, it still suffers from a lack of depth in gameplay which is fine for this map, but hurts it for this contest when it comes to ustilising the cards to their fullest and and in a creative way that doesn't copy other formulas
(7.168) Easily a top 3 contender here. Lots and lots of great decisions were made with this map, and it's generally fun enough to play. Not much I can really complain about other than what you already know about ido (asymm use and the location :/ ).
(5.5) Well conclave. It's a mixed bag for me. I do enjoy a good bit of stage 1 although the frontline isn't well established most of the time. I've had a sort of DM ish experience with it which might seem odd for others. It might be due to the long flanks on the left side, but the cliff area is quite nice and looks pretty sick with the vista. The map unfortunately struggles when it comes to stage 2. Blu spawn is quite tricky to initially push out of and feels to similar to dustbowl stage 2 spawn. But after that it's a flank fest until the final point, which is where the gameplay picks up a bit again, which is nice. The big rocket is very cool, and I love the elevator on stage 1. The card usage is somewhat lacking interesting experimentation but is nice nevertheless. The delay mechanic I've never noticed in game though, so that's not ideal for me
(4.665) Shanksgiving to me is just too similar to degroot. I still have fun, and it's still good ol' medieval, but it borrows too much from degroot keep. My main concern with this map is that it doesn't feel like it was made for this contest. The only notably unique thing to it is the haystacks on A and C but besides that, it's just a regular medieval map. It doesn't try much to deviate from degroot as much as siege does and that's unfortunate. It's still a fun map, and I do enjoy playing it, but it doesn't hold as well in terms of creativity. The detailing in the interiors is pretty sick I will be honest, but the exteriors have some areas that are lacking, notably the buildings on the gate wall. The gameplay cards as I've said are 3/4 just by using degroot mode (and I think you'd qualify for spawns not changing too) but the fire damage is notable addition though and I like it as a sniper. The detail cards are sufficient enough but the Australianness isn't quite as apparent as I'd want it to be other than a few flags, but they are a nice detail to the map.
(6.835) Underway is just a solid map. It doesn't exceed spectacularly in just one field, but does very good in all of them, which puts it quite high and in my top 3. The gameplay is good and B is my favourite point as it's unusual cover is very evident. The detailing is a bit dark and the final point could use a bit more work but I absolutely dig (pun intended) the construction theme
(6.845) Probably my favourite gameplay out of the bunch has some great use of vertical spaces and the amount of gameplay cards is very respectable. However as I'm sure you understand it's detailing isn't up to standard, at least for stage 2. The detail cards are fulfilled just cause of a few skybox props and not much else, except for a few buildings in stage 1. Stage 1 B is 90% that red metal texture and of course, stage 2 is in dev textures. I can understand the stress of time limits but this is a contest so I'd have to mark it harshly, but I think the amazing gameplay makes up for this
(6.575) Azureworld is quite the map. While it's gameplay might be lacking, and some of its gameplay cards aren't utilised as well as they could (the fire damaging you for eg. It is quite negligible), it's vibe, detailing and spectacle and more than make up for the small dips in gameplay quality. The effort put into this was not wasted one bit

Last edited:

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
pl_desolation_b3a_bugfix8.5878
cp_thalassophobia_b5i_fix_2
ctf_chouhen_b5a
cp_siege_b2
koth_splinter_b4
pl_conclave_b6b
cp_shanksgiving_b63332
cp_underway_b2
cp_lamworth_a126767
pd_azureworld_b1

Add more later.
Put notes here!
Put notes here!
Put notes here!
Put notes here!
Put notes here!
Add more later..
Put notes here!
Add more later.
Put notes here!

Last edited:

bonez

L1: Registered
Jun 2, 2024
All scores may be subject to change.

pl_desolation_b3a_bugfix7.7577.57
cp_thalassophobia_b5i_fix_27.256.587.5
ctf_chouhen_b5a76.58.58.5
cp_siege_b26.55.756.256
koth_splinter_b486.7586
pl_conclave_b6b5.55.55.755.5
cp_shanksgiving_b655.255.755.25
cp_underway_b277.756.756.75
cp_lamworth_a126.75667.5
pd_azureworld_b166.257.758.25

Feedback for Chouhen, Splinter, and Shanksgiving has been written:
Put notes here!
Put notes here!
Overall Gameplay: This map is fun in the most chaotic way. Points will get taken without you even noticing, a well placed sticky trap will stop an entire team push, and the fight for point D is a wild shoot fest in the hopes of killing something; all together making a map that's fun just to watch and see what happens.
Gameplay Card Usage: This map uses quite a few gameplay cards, and I think all of them put together are what makes this map as enjoyable as it is. I particularly like having point B underneath red's spawn; it's a neat touch being able to see through the glass floor.
Overall Detailing: This map has my favorite detailing out of the contest; seeing the city skyline surround you while fighting through the halls of the skyscraper you're in is just genuinely enjoyable. Everything about the map feels lived in in a way that I feel like other maps don't quite have.
Detailing Card Usage: All of the cards used when put together is what makes this map what it is; even if they're little additions like the electrical noises. The map simply wouldn't be the same if some of these cards were gone, and I feel like that's a sign of good card usage.
Put notes here!
Overall Gameplay: This map has four different koth stages put into one map, and all four stages are fun! It's an incredibly unique idea that I think payed off in the end; it makes the map have it's own unique identity without actually sacrificing gameplay. Every stage feels unique to fight in, and I've just generally had fun when playing this map.
Gameplay Card Usage: I feel this map uses its card pretty well, from the multiple stages, 3/4 stages having gameplay space above the point, and the use of a saw blade as cover. I think it all adds up to pretty unique experience.
Overall Detailing: This map is just really, really well detailed. It does a great job with feeling distinct while still taking a "classic" approach and fitting in well with the rest of tf2. I like it.
Detailing Card Usage: This map simply does not read as German. That being said, I don't really know what rural industrial Germany is supposed to look like in the first place, so I don't really think its your fault it doesn't read that way to me. Without the translated signs around the map, I think it would be very easy to assume it just takes place somewhere in America.
Put notes here!
Overall Gameplay: This map certainly doesn't do anything wrong, but it also doesn't do anything to make this map stand out in terms of medieval gameplay. It just feels like degroot keep, to the point that the attacker's spawn room is almost identical to degroot's. I wish it was more original in terms of gameplay.
Gameplay Card Usage: While this map does fulfill the cards it uses, once again I wish this map did something more unique to make it stand out. Half of the cards fulfilled were given simply because of the gamemode, and the two other cards fulfilled aren't spectacularly used.
Overall Detailing: Once again, the detailing isn't bad by any means, but it's not the best thing i've ever seen, either. The detailing feels flat overall, and I think it could be vastly improved.
Detailing Card Usage: This map only uses two cards; and neither feel really used to their full potential. The map is said to be in Australia, and while there's an australian flag on the map, outside of that there isn't really anything that makes this map particularly "Australian". The other card is for ambient noise, which is only used for the fire found on the map. I wish more cards were used.
Put notes here!
Put notes here!
Put notes here!

Last edited:

GalacticSparrow

L1: Registered
Oct 11, 2023
pl_desolation_b3a_bugfix10897
cp_thalassophobia_b5i_fix_26464
ctf_chouhen_b5a88108
cp_siege_b26664
koth_splinter_b479106
pl_conclave_b6b5555
cp_shanksgiving_b65553
cp_underway_b27986
cp_lamworth_a128846
pd_azureworld_b16688

The most consistently solid map of the contest, in my opinion. It may fail to have the unique gamemodes, layouts, or gimmicks that other maps have to help them stand out, but it makes up for it by having both excellent gameplay and visuals.
The gear at C, which is used for half of the cards in the map, does not make good use of any of them. Also, the entire map looks the exact same, which makes it visually boring and somewhat difficult to navigate.
A fun, creative map that provides a gameplay experience unlike any other map I have ever played. The gameplay is unique and dynamic, and the visuals are excellent. Overall, a fun map that stands out in a good way.
This map easily has the strangest layout out of any of the finalists in this contest. Everything in this map feels like it was oriented around the cannons, while failing to consider movement without them.
A gambit of a map idea that somehow ends up working well. Excluding some gameplay oversights, the map plays well, and the visuals are excellent.
A map that only be described as "mediocre". Both the gameplay and the visuals are acceptable, but fail to stand out in any way whatsoever.
This map is perhaps the least innovative map of the whole contest. The gameplay is very reminiscent of DeGroot Keep, except it lacks what makes DeGroot Keep a fun experience. The visuals are nothing to write home about, but the theming around it is at least notable. Finally, the cards are used very poorly, often only counting out of technicality rather than fitting in naturally. Overall, it is a somewhat boring map, both in how it essentially recycles another map, and in how it fails to take advantage of the most important part of the contest: the cards.
A solid map overall, with creative applications of cards around B. Unfortunately, I don't have much else to say about this map, but I can safely say it is one of the better maps in the list.
A solid map that, unfortunately, ends up falling behind the others. The map is solid gameplay-wise overall. Where the map is lacking, however, is in the visuals, with the first stage looking somewhat lackluster and the second stage lacking detailing whatsoever. I look forward to seeing this map as it further progresses, but it fails to live up to many of its competitors as it is now.
A unique map that, while fun, ends up being too chaotic for its own good. From the odd choice of making an asymmetrical PD map, to the various cannons and boost pads all around the map, the map ends up bogging itself down with all the gimmicks it introduces, even to the point where it arguably undermines fundamental TF2 map and class design.