KotH Koth_Western_Front_Beta2

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by NuclearRadio, Jan 2, 2014.

1. NuclearRadio

NuclearRadio L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I hope you enjoy playing it as much as I did making it...

2. radarhead

aa radarhead Hands out ratings like cheap cigars

Positive Ratings:
    Those sightlines are... huge.

3. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Cool gimmick map, I suppose? I really hope you don't expect serious play on this, because it's just not going to happen.

4. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
    This. Its litterally an empty Box. Not Even proper lighting set up as far as I can tell :c

Hate to be this blunt, but there really isn't more to it. Try studying some of the existing koth maps, and put your experiences to work in a new map.

5. Deodorant

Deodorant L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    From my own experiences of being a noob (which I still am, mind you) I don't think looking at finished koth maps is the most useful thing to do at this stage. Studying existing maps is really useful when you have specific questions ('how big is a normal-sized door?', 'what does a good flank route look like?', 'which are the prettiest red concrete textures?' and the like) but when one needs to learn map design from scratch they can be quite impenetrable. I remember looking at official maps and thinking 'They have some terrain and some buildings, mine has some terrain and buildings, why do they work while mine doesn't?'

Instead, NuclearRadio, I recommend you to read some of the many lovely tutorials available on this site, then look at WIP maps, how they feel and the feedback they get. Learn to recognize the geometry of maps and identify its purposes.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. DonutVikingChap

DonutVikingChap L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    We couldn't even test this map because the file name had capital letters :(

7. NuclearRadio

NuclearRadio L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I was only going for WWI accuracy, I wasn't going for making it like a normal koth map. I know how to make a normal koth map, that wasn't the point of this map.

8. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    i wasn't around back then but i'm confident ww1 was not fullbright

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  9. radarhead

aa radarhead Hands out ratings like cheap cigars

Positive Ratings:
    Also I think ww1 was not fought in the west

10. Auwi

aa Auwi Certified in best in fun

Positive Ratings:
    Also I didn't know they had control points back then

11. DonutVikingChap

DonutVikingChap L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
  12. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    Alright. Beating up on historical accuracy errors aside, making a WWI map for a game that doesn't play like WWI isn't going to end up playing well. Some issues aside from the rather glaring one of "flat":

There are no lights. Not only does this look ugly, but it will actually cause the lights to not work on any other maps loaded after it, pretty much requiring a server restart. We have an environmental lighting library available for use, meaning you can steal the sun settings from any official map. This, and a few lights in your underground spawn areas should be enough to make the map look much better.

Detail is pretty lacking. There's just a few walls, fences, and a tree. Your wooden trench walls would look much better with some trim/brace work. Just look on the inside of any wooden building in an official map for what I mean - the walls are covered in wooden supports and beams, and it really makes the area come alive.

EDIT: Also, make sure your map filename doesn't have any spaces or capital letters. Servers have issues with that sort of stuff, unfortunately.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  13. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    There's a reason there are no WWI-themed shooters. Trench warfare was horrible and does not make for a fun video game.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Deodorant

Deodorant L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    You do? Hot damn, you need to tell me! After over over 1000 hours in Source SDK I still haven't figured it out.