Kemptown

KotH Kemptown rc3a

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
koth_salt_a4

* moved upper route from spawn to mid over a bit

* replaced two tiny doorways at mid with one big doorway

* added another resupply locker to each spawn

* fixed one of the spawn blocker textures being misaligned

* miscellaneous clipping and optimisation tweaks

Read the rest of this update entry...

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
koth_kemptown_a5:

* changed name from salt to kemptown

* began basic artpass

* raised spawn building exits a bit

* clipping improvements

* other minor tweaks

2015-12-28_00003.jpg

2015-12-28_00002.jpg

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Mark out the cap area with hazard tape.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
In case you're wondering where I got the name, it's named after the sort-of suburban part of Brighton. The look of the map is loosely based on Kemptown (and various other small English towns) though the layout isn't based on any particular part of it.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Kemptown ladies sing this song
(doo-dah, doo-dah)

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
From what I've played, I feel Mid is too easy to attack. It further drops the Engineer's purpose in a gamemode that already places him low, and makes it constantly change hands. On one hand, a dynamically flowing point is cool, but it makes it feel like a slog having to recapture the point for the 8th time that round, and makes KOTH rounds last unusually long. I feel the point should be given a good position to defend or two, so the defending team actually has a chance to hold it for a longer period of time than 20 seconds.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
From what I've played, I feel Mid is too easy to attack. It further drops the Engineer's purpose in a gamemode that already places him low, and makes it constantly change hands. On one hand, a dynamically flowing point is cool, but it makes it feel like a slog having to recapture the point for the 8th time that round, and makes KOTH rounds last unusually long. I feel the point should be given a good position to defend or two, so the defending team actually has a chance to hold it for a longer period of time than 20 seconds.
Hmm, but some people complained it was a bit hard to attack because of the sheer height advantage that the fountain brings. Which is why I added the upstairs area, to counteract that by giving the attackers the upper ground. But I reckon it'll also give Snipers and Engineers more spots to defend the point from.

Anyway, I did intend this to be more of a deathmatchy map - more Harvest/King than Viaduct - so the point quickly changing hands is a plus IMO.

(Speaking of deathmatch, when I'm done with this I'm also gonna put out an arena version)

S

saph

After looking at sightlines and angles for a bit, I had a few thoughts, and the demo from 3-4 days ago kind of supports it. I think the point is fine, but the it's the rest of the flow of the map that makes it not work as well. It seems that scouts and soldiers dominate it due to the pathways and height difference.

To balance the map, I'd try to:
  • make the map a bit more flat between spawn and the point, because in Granary, the flatness of the connecting areas between middle and second limit the splash damage greatly. It also makes the rollouts a bit harder, but then again, Granary is pretty wide (imo). I found that whoever holds the point is attacking down towards spawn (for the most part).
  • disconnect the building with barrels (and scale it down) from the main due to the fact that is was very useful for flanking, and holding one team at spawn.
  • make the ramps less steep because that's not only making the map being pushed 'up', but it also makes it hard to retreat towards the point.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Ever since you changed the name on this, I keep getting that "do dah, do dah" from Camptown Races stuck in my head. So thanks for that.

ades

L4: Comfortable Member
Jun 27, 2014
i remember playing this a few days ago, I had lots of fun keep up the good work

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
koth_kemptown_b1

* actually decent-looking artpass!

* fewer windows

* put the lamppost props in after they mysteriously disappeared in a6 (???) (also removed the vans in front of spawn)

* changed routes out of spawn a wee bit

* replaced big-ass fences with little-ass barriers

* optimisation changes

LV9v1Mx.jpg

U9Bekjo.jpg

yCqBqtb.jpg

vuGLwck.jpg

LcT94AC.jpg