How Long did it take you to become a Pro Mapper

Apr 14, 2013
I'd say that you can get to the stage of understanding the very basic stuff in a week (interface, basic creation, brushes)
Next step, that I will estimate to take between half a year to 2 years (for me, but for other people it may take less) Around that time you should reach a pretty good understanding of how hammer works. (entities, most of the logic, etc.) Clearly not a pro, but a fairly decent mapper (?)

But the biggest challenge is not the software, but the brain- it takes lots of time to start thinking right about mapping and layouts- CP placements, routes, sightlines etc. I work on tf2 maps from around winter 2013, and in the layout and mapping theory I'm still a complete noob.

The best way to learn fast is to keep making maps, even if they are not that good, then keep reading the feedback you get and thinking about it, and even if you don't agree, think why people wrote that- that's the best way to get better.

Last edited:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Many people in this thread are saying they are well versed in the technical side of Source and Hammer, yet most maps put out are terribly optimized and few people actually offer in depth help on the forums. What does it mean???

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
Many people in this thread are saying they are well versed in the technical side of Source and Hammer, yet most maps put out are terribly optimized and few people actually offer in depth help on the forums. What does it mean???

I think that Hammer, Source, and even level design in general are so multi-faceted and dense that many people (myself included) get so caught up on getting better at layouts that they forget to learn more about the technicalities of everything.

Or they work a lot with the technicalities of Hammer and never release anything :p

Sep 19, 2010
I posted my first map here in September 2011 and have been mapping off and on since then. I haven't even completed a map yet, so I would still consider myself an amateur. :) You have to be actively mapping to get better. I haven't done a very good job of doing that.

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
I first learned PC modding in general even existed about 2 years ago. Been playing around in Hammer ever since and still haven't made anything.

I'd like to say I'm "well-versed" on the technical side of Hammer at this point as I've watched/read countless tutorials and messed around a lot, but without real practice with a real map, no one can really make that assertion.

Last edited:

Vincent

&#128296 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi &#128296
aa
Sep 5, 2009

It means a lot of us are still young and working to improve.

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
I first learned PC modding in general even existed about 2 years ago. Been playing around in Hammer ever since and still haven't made anything.

I'd like to say I'm "well-versed" on the technical side of Hammer at this point as I've watched/read countless tutorials and messed around a lot, but without real practice with a real map, no one can really make that assertion.

Heh, I used to just think that all video game designers sat around coding into a screen, and when the code was done, the game would pop out. It's odd to think that that's how it used to be.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I think that Hammer, Source, and even level design in general are so multi-faceted and dense that many people (myself included) get so caught up on getting better at layouts that they forget to learn more about the technicalities of everything.

Or they work a lot with the technicalities of Hammer and never release anything :p

If you don't understand the technical side of stuff like optimization, your layouts probably aren't good as a result. Hope this helps everyone itt.

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
Heh, I used to just think that all video game designers sat around coding into a screen, and when the code was done, the game would pop out. It's odd to think that that's how it used to be.

I assumed everything was done with proprietary tools that no one but the developers had access to. I didn't think about it much until I discovered GameBanana and "skins".

Snowbat

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 23, 2013
Took me about 8 years or so to become fairly ok. But I still don't consider myself a pro mapper at all. If I were, I'd be making money with it.
And I'm not.

RaVaGe

aa
Jun 23, 2010
I started to be interested in mapping in 2005-2006, so yeah 10 years and i'm still terrible :<.