[GUIDE] The best way to organize your custom content

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Resources' started by sevin, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Yrr

aa Yrr An Actual Deer

Positive Ratings:
    It's not even the most organized or efficient method though, thats the thing.

It literally just gives you an extra layer of folders, you can organize just fine with tf/custom without needing to get everything pointing at your special new folder.

Efficiency is not wasting time on convoluted extra things when a simpler solution exists.

2. TyeZenneth

TyeZenneth L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Or you can just not care and throw it all into /tf, like when you open up a LEGO set and mix together all the bags and pieces.

3. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    You can only go 1 layer deep in tf/custom and you also install custom HUDs, sounds, configs, skins, and a bunch of other game modifying items in there as well.

4. Yrr

aa Yrr An Actual Deer

Positive Ratings:
    And that 1 layer is fine if you're organizing properly.

If you're organizing poorly then the extra separation might be useful for you but the majority of people seem to do a good job with just tf/custom.

5. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    Ok, I can see how you could be right about that. Can I see your custom folder?

6. Mikroscopic

aa Mikroscopic

Positive Ratings:
    Stop. Stop fighting. Now.

7. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    You can have a ton of organization in just a single folder by the way you name your files. For example, you could put a 0 at the start of a folder name when it contains game mods and use 1 when its a custom asset. So if you order by name, everything is gonna be split in 2 groups just from a single symbol. Obviously 0 and 1 can be replaced with anything else, even words.

8. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I didn't think of that. That's cool!

9. Yrr

aa Yrr An Actual Deer

Positive Ratings:
    I'm not particularly sure showing off my personal custom folder would demonstrate anything since it's organised for my personal workflow, not yours.

By which I mean I totally have some loose shit in there I haven't sorted yet and probably never will.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    Oh, well that's okay. It works for you and that's what counts.

11. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    The one reason to use this is to keep you tf/ folder clean. its organizational value is up to individuals. I'd say custom/ allows for a level of content separation that will be enough in most cases but adding more things via gameinfo is always an option

12. Gatorix

Gatorix L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Breaking the chain of the argumentative comments... I have a question.

I am working with the customization files that this thread originally was about. However, I get the "Error!" "This is probably not what you intended" window popping up each time I try to compile. Last time this happened, I fixed it by arranging the content packs correctly. However, now, it seems that a "maps" folder and a "materials" folder and a "cfg" folder appear. This messes up the tf_dev folder and the game tells me the search paths are wacked. HOW DO FIX?

13. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    What does your tf_dev folder look like? I guarantee they are loose somewhere.

14. Gatorix

Positive Ratings:
    The following are normal folders and work properly.
    content_packs
    custom_models
    custom_particles
    custom_sounds
    map_assets
    map_dev
    gameinfo.txt

The invading folders are:
    cfg
    maps
    materials

When I delete the invading folders, the map compiles and the game loads a bit before exiting and presenting an "Engine Error"
    Cannot load file 'scripts/items/items_game.txt'

So. If I have the invading folders, I can't compile. If I don't I can't play.

15. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    Verify integrity of the game cache. Did you move the game info file out the tf folder or did you copy it in? You can't move that file out of tf.

16. Gatorix

Positive Ratings:
    It was copied. I'll try the verify thingy now. This'll take a while...

17. Gatorix

Positive Ratings:
    K. Verification finished. They fixed 3 files apparently. Same problems however...

18. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    I don't think that has to do with the content method anyway though. You shouldn't have messed with items_game when setting up this stuff.

19. Gatorix

Positive Ratings:
    So if I want to assimilate the invading folders into the game search... How would I do so?

20. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    Did you put them there? Do you need them for something? Were they in your root tf_dev folder?