entirely underwater map?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by ProselyteCanti, May 21, 2015.

1. ProselyteCanti

ProselyteCanti L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    So I've had this idea swimming around (no pun intended) in my head for a while. Basically a competitive map where everything is underwater. Most likely control points or king of the hill. You'd possibly be stripped to melee since some weapons don't work underwater though that could be a bit of a disadvantage for flimsier classes. Also dunno if it would make the map laggy, or how the skybox would work at all. A mod that disables drowning would also have to be implemented. Thoughts?

2. Ynders

aa Ynders absolutely gormful

Positive Ratings:
    You could use the underwater condition introduced in Halloween 2014. It causes swimming, water effects(although they're yellow) and third person, but no drowning.

3. radarhead

aa radarhead Hands out ratings like cheap cigars

Positive Ratings:
    I tried something similar with my April Fools map, not many people enjoyed it. Also, the halloween condition forces players into thirdperson.

But if you do try this, I would recommend making the map indoors like Turbine or Junction if you worry about the skybox.

4. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    I've always hated underwater combat in games. It's frustrating and unfun.

5. worMatty

aa worMatty Repacking Evangelist

Positive Ratings:
    I say give it a go but try to include some land-based combat as well, otherwise it will probably get boring quick.

6. Zed

aa Zed Certified Most Crunk™

Positive Ratings:
    This doesn't sound like something that would suit competitive play at all.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Uncuepa

aa Uncuepa

Positive Ratings:
    all hail pisstacos

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    A map can be fun without suiting the competitive scene.

9. Vincent

aa Vincent 🔨 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi 🔨

Positive Ratings:
    That wasn't really what he was getting at.

Underwater maps tend to frustrate players. It'd be one hell of a feat to make a competitive underwater map, I'm being honest here. Especially if you plan to make it only melee as that pretty much eliminates any real competitive environment right there.

I'd say go for it but without it being competitive in mind. People hate arena but I still map for that so it comes down to what you want to do. I mean look at all the melee_forts that one guy makes.

10. Zed

aa Zed Certified Most Crunk™

Positive Ratings:
    Reread the OP.

11. Toomai

Toomai L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    A problem with completely underwater maps that a lot of people don't realize at first is that teleporter entrances won't work, exacerbating the fact that water is slow. So unless you have a patch of land outside spawn that can be built on, the map will have to be pretty small.