Corrode

PL Corrode RC2

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.
Jan 20, 2010
Welp. I'll be falling off mountains if anyone needs me.

I think the main point here is that there's far more important things than the tracks. They might be the most glaring absence from the screenshots, but the cart moves without them. They are largely superficial right now.

Turbo Lover

Fight me under Glasgow Central Station
aa
Feb 15, 2011
It's cool, I get what you're saying, I only hoped to provide some encouragement to see they do get completed. ^^

But you're right, they are most definitely not the most pressing matter and one should focus on what affects gameplay first.

Jan 20, 2010
Alright, so, I've talked to quite a few people and have a couple varying opinions.

I want to go into beta, however I have two responses two this:

1) Go ahead, why not? Beta is when the layout is final or will barely change and you've started detailing. It's just a name anyway.

2) No, beta is when the map is completely detailed. People will complain if they play a Beta map that still has dev textures.

So, opinions here? Am I thinking too much about this. I might be. It would be my first Beta, so I am fairly excited, even if it is just a title.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Alright, so, I've talked to quite a few people and have a couple varying opinions.

I want to go into beta, however I have two responses two this:

1) Go ahead, why not? Beta is when the layout is final or will barely change and you've started detailing. It's just a name anyway.

2) No, beta is when the map is completely detailed. People will complain if they play a Beta map that still has dev textures.

So, opinions here? Am I thinking too much about this. I might be. It would be my first Beta, so I am fairly excited, even if it is just a title.

Go to beta as b0, that way, you can say its post-alpha, pre-beta. and do half-detailing.

Vincent

&#128296 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi &#128296
aa
Sep 5, 2009
Alpha: Dev Textures, Layout
Alpha Testing: Layout, screw the detail. Once you start adding detail and you aren't changing the layout stop releasing Alpha's and just add enough detail to release it into Beta. Doesn't matter if you go a month without a new version, there's not a whole lot of reason to have a map that plays well then releasing new versions every week with minor detail added. Just go crazy and make the map look pretty all at one time and say "Bam, Beta now."

Entering Beta: No Dev Textures what so ever, Decent amount of details. Detailing doesn't have to be finished of course. Use your own judgement.
Beta Testing: Fixing those details, clipping, etc

RC: Minor Edits, you feel you're finished detailing and the map as a whole is complete

Jan 20, 2010
Alpha: Dev Textures, Layout
Alpha Testing: Layout, screw the detail. Once you start adding detail and you aren't changing the layout stop releasing Alpha's and just add enough detail to release it into Beta. Doesn't matter if you go a month without a new version, there's not a whole lot of reason to have a map that plays well then releasing new versions every week with minor detail added. Just go crazy and make the map look pretty all at one time and say "Bam, Beta now."

Entering Beta: No Dev Textures what so ever, Decent amount of details. Detailing doesn't have to be finished of course. Use your own judgement.
Beta Testing: Fixing those details, clipping, etc

RC: Minor Edits, you feel you're finished detailing and the map as a whole is complete

See, I don't think this is really universal.

Either way. I'm just going to release b0. I've made some minor gameplay changes from A6 and I want those tested.

Edit: Nevermind. Had a rational discussion with Rexy. Next release will be A7 fairly soon.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2010
CorrodeLogo.png

Version: A7

Corrode Screenshots
Corrode Changelog

Link to Map Download (BZ2)

Changes:

Removed the gravel pile in front of the silo by blue spawn.
Other stuff I can't remember.

I was so involved in Detailing, I forgot what gameplay stuff I changed. If I remember, I'll add it.

20110326-pl_corrode_a70005.jpg

20110326-pl_corrode_a70012.jpg

20110326-pl_corrode_a70002.jpg

20110326-pl_corrode_a70000.jpg

Detailed a lot of CP 1.
Added a 3D skybox.

Zhan

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 18, 2010
This map is looking really beautiful, nice work with the detailing so far.

Jan 20, 2010
This map is looking really beautiful, nice work with the detailing so far.

Thanks much :) I'm enjoying it quite a bit, although I'm a bit nervous to go indoors. Indoor detailing is crazy difficult @_@

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Travel distance to the final area is rediculous, and there's no real position to build a sentry nest where BLU engi's can protect their teleporter exits.

pl_corrode_a5a0054.jpg

This whole area is nothing but a buffer. I've never witnessed any real battles here, ever; and only serves to allow BLU to milk some cap points off the cart and RED to set up defences that never get used because battles amount to a bunch of skirmishes at stairwells around the circular pit. A buffer wouldn't be a problem if the route wasn't linear and stretched the final objective as far away from the BLU spawn as it does. Get rid of this area entirely and maybe loop the track back and forth so RED arn't steam rolled.

pl_corrode_a5a0054b.jpg

RED's only real chance of winning is at the location with the bunch of scribbles. The height advantage, rollback and choke make it almost impossible for BLU to push forwards and gain some territory and the choke also means a single defencive pyro can ruin a coordinated uber push with a couple airblasts.

I remember playing an earlier version of this where sentries nested in the corner to the left of the ramp. The problem was with all the rocket and grenade spam from the ledge directly forwards and to the right, noone could reach the top of the ramp with enough health to challenge a nest of level 3 sentries. The second issue was that the medic had to make himself vulnerable for too long before assaulting the positions beyond the ramp and was prone to dying from spam explosives, spies or snipers.

Through nothing but sheer luck in the closing moments of the round my sticky bombs took out the engi despite being airblasted away and some of my grenades finished the gear off. Only then to have the 2 remaining engi's replace all the gear and lay more before i even got back and the team to push forwards.

With this in mind you should probably place a room here (as indicated by the scribbles) to cut some of the horrendous sight lines and reduce the area of control for RED by creating a safer flank.

Last edited:

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
I really dislike last cp, not because it has bad layout, it is just fact you can be attacked from anywhere, no matter if i was attacking or defending, there was always someone shooting you from somewhere, hell, once i step out of spawn and was attacked from 3 different directions, it wasn't really fun at all.

Also, you should bring the dirt at the hole on cp1 back, now you removed it, sentries by the silo have become really overpowered and can halt any progress blue has on cp1.

The_Ulf

L6: Sharp Member
May 26, 2009
I think Grazr, as always, has some good points.

I found the final area to be really interesting, but unfortunately chaotic. As RED, spawning in one of multiple locations and then not really knowing where to head (more signs would go far) made it harder to defend than I think the point really is. I really like the space of it, but what Wankhouse noted about being able to be attacked from nearly any direction as either team is true and problematic.

You might be able to direct combat and players by cutting some lines of combat around the final area with glass walls? I dunno.

Most importantly, however:
pl_corrode_a70000.jpg

Epic photo ops.
Curse you, Raviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge!

Jan 20, 2010
CorrodeLogo.png

Version: A8

Corrode Screenshots - Does not include A8 screens
Corrode Changelog

Link to Map Download (BZ2)

Changes (Click Images for Larger View):

Readded gravel pile by blue spawn.
Fixed floating cart syndrome.

Moved the exit to the vent and added a platform under it.

Filled in a large platform by CP 2.

Moved the stairs up to the platform by CP 2.

Added some barrels by the platform behind CP 2 so people can jump onto it.

Added a window hole on the closet/dead-end by CP 2.

Reduced CP 3's room size by about half.
Rearranged the way the tracks move around CP 3.
Removed the lower area by CP 3.

Added a large detail area seen from inside the vent.

Added a cup in blue spawn because some crazy person told me to.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Added a cup in blue spawn because some crazy person told me to
roberto_futurama_knife.jpg

I'm not crazy! I'm just not user-friendly!