Contest idea thread!

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
I think a very plausible contest idea would be to create a popfile for one of the existing mvm maps. It would be easy to test, and easy for people who don't even map to participate in, whilst drawing attention to what I'm hearing is the most difficult part of balancing an MvM map. Obviously we've just had an MvM contest, so we wouldn't get this for a while, but it would be an enjoyable change from the norm a little down the line.
The problem is balancing on that.

A wave might feel intense for a bad team but calm and boring for a good team. And to restrict it to advanced could be a bad idea as many arent able to test with a team. While advanced is the mode that usualy has the more interesting waves.

Personaly i even would aim for expert normaly.

And then there is also the problem that some would just start with 5k cash and make it wave 666 style and some make it regular. Let some prefer a wave 666 and some prefer a normal style for gameplay. Someone who doesnt like a wave 666 style wave for that reason most likely wont vote for it, while it could be the better one.

It should have strict rules to balance on that, and with that the contest also becomes less interesting. So to me having another mvm contest on its own would be better. Obviously, the mapper should be allowed to ask others to make a popfile... after all, the only good way is if you can host a server and gather a team. And that isnt reachable for everyone.

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
Unofficial gamemode contest (ie not the standard 5cp, payload, regular a/d). Points for simplicity, explanation/s, creativity.

Mar 23, 2010
map / music contest where u make a map and write lyrics and a melody to fit the map

Sep 19, 2010
I think it's been suggested before, but I think a build around the points map would be cool. Similar to the BATT contest. You are given three control points which you must build your map around. Leave it open for the contestant to decide if they want to do 3CP A/D or 5CP.

Fish 2.0

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 22, 2012
alpha 1 map contest. who can make the best a1. you only get 1 map test, no more allowed

actually i take back the 1 map test idea that means not everyone can play it

I would just say you get to make one map, fully detailed and everything but testing is an absolute no. You submit your map, and then it's play tested and the best maps are picked.

TLDR: You have once chance so you better fluke it hard.

Archmage MC

L2: Junior Member
Jun 17, 2011
Heres an idea, Most impressive/complex map feature.

Stuff like day cycle skyboxes, and other stuff that is tricky to do.

Rules:
Must give full documentation on how to do what you did.
No custom models.
Custom Textures are OK, but must give documentation on what you did to change the VMT if anything.
Whatever you submit may be put on the VALVe development wiki, credit going to you.

D

Digaag Wa Riz

I don't want to look like I'm desperately promoting myself, but how about a contest using this?

Working on a prefab that includes 32 independently controlled ones that can possibly be used in a racing map contest. Although I guess the only "racing" maps allowed would be plr maps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
Prop contest.

Sounds dumb, but everyone is given a single prop they have to work somewhere into their map (ie badlands spire)- Only large / game-changing props counted (ie foundry roof cover, large cargo crates, doomsday rocket, doomsday elevator)

Apr 14, 2013
Prop contest.

Sounds dumb, but everyone is given a single prop they have to work somewhere into their map (ie badlands spire)- Only large / game-changing props counted (ie foundry roof cover, large cargo crates, doomsday rocket, doomsday elevator)

corrugated_metal_cluster001.mdl
quarry_rockpike.mdl (the badlands spire)
upward_bridge_supports1.mdl (the upward 3rd point)

center_cap_building_harbor.mdl (foundry's mid)
blue_steam_whistle_harbor_ref.mdl (foundry's wistle)
red_steam_whistle_harbor_ref.mdl

med_classroom001(/001a/001b).mdl

props_nucleus stuff

cliff_bridge.mdl (the hightower_event light-path towards the clock)
road_railing01.mdl (hydro's road railing)
loading_tower.mdl

mine_elevator.mdl (bigrock's mine elevator)
dome_roof.mdl (some dumb 17000x17000 units model)

Pick one or more
must be used creatively
must be important to the map- landmarks and/or important gameplay elements
must not be used for detailing only

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
i approve of this contest idea. does anyone actually use joiner other than me?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
How much do I pay attention to the maps made here that aren't my own?

Very little, especially considering I've only really returned in the last month. Joiner has been around for over a year now and in all that time I've barely been active here at all

Fish 2.0

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 22, 2012
How much do I pay attention to the maps made here that aren't my own?

Very little, especially considering I've only really returned in the last month. Joiner has been around for over a year now and in all that time I've barely been active here at all

I used joiner half a year ago once in my 72 hour entry. I thinks it's a great tool, but like frozen I never really have the need for it because I don't get past a1. It would be way better if it had some kind of door/opening support (I have no idea how, though).