Contest idea thread!

clayton

L1: Registered
Jun 17, 2011
could do something akin to chelsea flower show. have a big floor space (within a giant marquee), and allocate a number (32 perhaps) of strictly defined (1024x1024x512) lots for individuals to design/build (either first-come-first-served, or chosen based on an initial sketch). and create one big arena map out of the resulting entries. then pick the best lots -- perhaps have a panel who give out gold, silver and bronze medals (3 of each?), and have a people's choice award. probably more of a beauty contest than anything else..

Last edited:

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Has there been a contest to create the best intel room yet? I know there was the control point contest, but don't recall if there was a similar one for intel rooms.

Personally I'd like to do a little project rather than another full blown map, since I already have several projects in various states.

clayton

L1: Registered
Jun 17, 2011
If everybody's getting a 1024x1024x512 prism, and there are 32 of them, that is one gigantic arena map with the lowest roof ever.

the marquee tent ceiling is way above, it's just each plot that's confined to that height, but they don't have to have a ceiling, just walls between adjacent plots.

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Has there been a contest to create the best intel room yet? I know there was the control point contest, but don't recall if there was a similar one for intel rooms.

Personally I'd like to do a little project rather than another full blown map, since I already have several projects in various states.

iirc, yes. check the archives (I think contest #6? Mini contest that is)

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
So now we've proved we (or, well, some of us) can make a map in three days, can we have shorter deadlines on the bigger contests? Say 2-3 months tops?

A deadline is a much better motivator than no deadline it seems.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
So now we've proved we (or, well, some of us) can make a map in three days, can we have shorter deadlines on the bigger contests? Say 2-3 months tops?

A deadline is a much better motivator than no deadline it seems.

Agreed. Although, a large 2-3 month "Free map" contest would be interesting. Map whatever you can, in that time period. Although, it would be very VERY tough to judge... You'd almost need a set of categories "best overall" "most creative CP map" etc... Like the Saxxy awards, for maps.

That sounds like a horrible idea.

Sep 1, 2009
Maybe have a payload final point detailing contest in a summer-ish theme? or something along those lines.

3Dnj

Ducks
aa
Dec 21, 2008
A multi stage arena or koth or small tc, like in decadence for who know. It's like a tc but with only 3 map, a middle like a classic 1 point map and each base with the two other maps with an advantage to defensers.

It's a shame tc is not more popular but it's probably becuase it's too complicated for the mapper AND for the player (too many different stage) but with a small number of stage, it' can be interesting.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Dibs on Iikka

Nov 14, 2009
How about a "fix a map" contest. Fix 2fort. Fix Junction. Fix Watchtower.

On second thought, its a bit stupid, but whatever it is, we should have a contest soon, as in, within the next week. People are pumped from the 72 hour contest, and right in the mood for starting another one. Atleast I am.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
How about a "fix a map" contest. Fix 2fort. Fix Junction. Fix Watchtower.

On second thought, its a bit stupid, but whatever it is, we should have a contest soon, as in, within the next week. People are pumped from the 72 hour contest, and right in the mood for starting another one. Atleast I am.

I say wait until judging is over

Mar 23, 2010
contest where you must choose a partner and collaborate

team fortress teamwork applies to mapping too! very ambitious, would be really bad and really good at the same time.

Nov 14, 2009
What about a contest with subdeadlines?

With 72 hour contest, we figured out that they are great at motivationg, so why not have checkpoints along the way? 14 days for layout, then 14 days for artpass. Consider it like the artpass contest when you weren't allowed to make major changes to the layout.