Contest idea thread!

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
boss map contest ...

Heh, Going with Konata, not TF2 Related.

You know, I think there should be a smaller contest going on for those who can't map for the contest, got to it late, or just gave up (Me for all of those)...

Like another point, or spawn room, or something design contest.

ardysqrrl

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 26, 2009
a 64-unit grid contest would be the antithesis of a detailing contest

red_flame586

L420: High Member
Apr 19, 2009
I actually had an idea for more of a competition than a contest (is there a difference?).

A template with some very basic important areas (e.g. cap point, surrounding areas, respawn etc.) is given out and following certain restrictions (e.g. must join with the template at certain points, must have the right amount of routes, must fit in a certain area, can only use a certain amount of certain entities etc.) the contestants build half the map. Two halves are then combined and the side of the map with the most wins wins. The idea isn't as much making a balanced map as much as making the most OPd as possible with huge restrictions. It might also be good *ahem* "research" into problems with poor map balance.

@Quakeman

Isn't that just a huge arena map with even less time to actually play?

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
You know what we could do, there was that one guy on the chat the other day posting pics from his Interlopers map battle...

They were given a basic template (like, in their case it was a bridge) and then had to build a map (or a section of a map) around that...

Why not as a small thing do like monthly or bi-monthly mini-map "battles" ... someone comes up with a template (like a bridge) and you have to create a 2048x2048 point, or spawn room, or something, tf2 related. I mean, most of us in a weekend could come with something decent enough. This might be a good way for people who are inbetween maps, or don't have time for full maps, to practice their skills, get feedback on their skills, or just as a way to prevent people from getting rusty...

Thats just me though, I thought the map battle idea was interesting... (and epic sounding). Don't know about prizes for winning, maybe something forum side like "Battle won" on their profile page or something...

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Make a KOTH map in a week.

A week may be a bit short, but I think a month would be good. (Could still be a crunch for some people)

Or maybe a koth_artpass. Someone could make a decent but simple koth layout,
or maybe we could get a few mappers to do a cool little base. Then everyone would have like 3 layouts to use for their choice of setting. Would probably be more fun than playing 20 of the same layout, but still familiar enough to everyone.

I'd definitely do a layout. Maybe a 2 stage contest. A layout challenge, followed by a detail pass challenge.

Vincent

&#128296 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi &#128296
aa
Sep 5, 2009
I've been itching to do an Iron Mapper with someone. I had someone that wanted to do a second one with me but alas he is in the Navy now shipped to Japan.

Heh. I got time this weekend, now that I think about it anyone up for that?

sniprpenguin

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 14, 2008
I like both the map battles & Iron Mapper ideas.

Also, Mann Manor doesn't always have the boss.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
I thought about it some more so figured I'd post a more descriptive description.

Koth 2 stage collab contest (no not 2 stages of koth, 2 stages of contest)

You can't collab with anyone, but a final map would be a collab. this way there would be no problems with getting halfway done and someone bails on you. Or issues with being forced to collab with someone you can't work with, etc...

It might also give someone who is good at layout, but not detailing (and vice versa) a chance to go official when it might not otherwise be possible.

It would also make the mappers focus soley on gameplay for the first round so the maps should be solid.
And it would force more creativity in the second round as you have to work with what's there.

Koth Layout. 1 month.
rules:
1- Must be playable koth map with all proper entities, lighting/cubemaps
2- DEV tex only. Grey on ground, red for walls red side, Blu for Blu side, and Sky tex ONLY.
(orange is blinding/ugly. red, blu and grey make it clear to players and authors exactly what is what)
3-grey vertical brushes for cover. (so if you have a large area and inted to use a prop as cover use a grey vertical brush.
4-cannot collab with anyone.
5- top three maps move to next stage. Best 3 layouts as viewed by players/judges.
-------
1 month for play tests, judging.
---------
Koth_artpass. 1 month.
rules:
1- pick one of the above koth layouts.
2- you can enter/win both stages, but you CANNOT detail your own layout if it wins.
3-cannot collab with anyone. Objects etc.. must be available to all OR made by yourself.
4-slight modifications can be made to layout (door sizes...Just slight adjustments to use certian props, etc...)
5-winner decided on best visuals (as maps were already chosen by best gameplay.

---
2 weeks to judge? based on # of entries
Same judging rules as other contests, you can map/enter/be voted on. But judges cannot win.

Apr 13, 2009

Funny I had the exact same idea a while ago... I think this could work, provided there are enough people willing to share their source maps... That might be the heart of the problem, I don't know.
Why limit yourself to koth, though ?

sniprpenguin

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 14, 2008
I also suggested it awhile ago in this thread.

Maybe we should just do it?

ardysqrrl

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 26, 2009
oh boy more koth maps

map battles with a "secret ingredient" would be better in fact I am strongly considering sponsoring it

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
oh boy more koth maps

map battles with a "secret ingredient" would be better in fact I am strongly considering sponsoring it

If you want to do a "dry run" of this idea, I'd be more than happy this next week to try out your concept, just give me the "secret ingredient" and the rules and I'll do it... maybe have a few other people to do a test competition of the idea before moving onto something more official.