WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

MaccyF

Notoriously Unreliable
aa
Mar 27, 2015
Capture.PNG
Tease my tra la la
Mmmmm my ding ding dong

T4sbsA5.png

Those rock materials in the back will likely look awful when compiled, i'm pretty sure the bump/ normal/ whatever they use for artificial depth don't wrap vertically (not to mention the basemap's obvious seam). You'll probably want to increase the material's scale for those cliffs.

The displacements themselves are pretty nice, though i'd recommend playing with a smaller brush size to give them a little more definition and reduce the clay-like soft forms.

AlexCookie

Suspect of eating cookies alive
aa
Apr 21, 2016
So,
I saw this map (vsh_military_area_b1)
vsh_military_area_b10008.jpg
vsh_military_area_b10006.jpg
vsh_military_area_b10007.jpg

It was made poorly and long ago but popular among vsh servers
so I decided to remake it

vsh_militaryzone_v10009.jpg
vsh_militaryzone_v10010.jpg
vsh_militaryzone_v10011.jpg

I'll release it soon

Last edited:

Dayal

L3: Member
Feb 8, 2017
I have no idea on how those giant elevators work. So I just went with something.
20170605182428_1.jpg 20170605182436_1.jpg
If anyone finds something off about it, feel free to point it since I don't really know if this is a good looking elevator or not.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
I have no idea on how those giant elevators work. So I just went with something.
20170605182428_1.jpg 20170605182436_1.jpg
If anyone finds something off about it, feel free to point it since I don't really know if this is a good looking elevator or not.
Elevators are essentially just one small room (cab) inside of a slightly larger and much taller room (shaft). That smaller room then needs to be held in place with some sort of dynamic system - a piston from the bottom (best for heavy things), a cable and motor at the top (cheapest, most elevators are this), or a wheel/rail system on the cab itself (I reckon this is really unsafe but it's convenient for certain gameplay scenarios and may also be better than a cable/piston system for very tall shafts. see the elevator shaft puzzle from Portal 2).

In this case, it looks like you're aiming for what's just an elevator shaft and no elevator. I'l put a large motor (maybe get some clever use out of the spool prop?) and some dangling cables where the cab used to be.

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
So,
I saw this map (vsh_military_area_b1)
vsh_military_area_b10008.jpg
vsh_military_area_b10006.jpg
vsh_military_area_b10007.jpg

It was made poorly and long ago but popular among vsh servers
so I decided to remake it
vsh_militaryzone_v10009.jpg
vsh_militaryzone_v10010.jpg
vsh_militaryzone_v10011.jpg

I'll release it soon
It's amazing what a new skybox, light environment, and a little detail can do. It looks so much nicer! I planned on remaking this one temple map that's really fun but pretty horribly made, so thanks for reminding me.

Dayal

L3: Member
Feb 8, 2017
Elevators are essentially just one small room (cab) inside of a slightly larger and much taller room (shaft). That smaller room then needs to be held in place with some sort of dynamic system - a piston from the bottom (best for heavy things), a cable and motor at the top (cheapest, most elevators are this), or a wheel/rail system on the cab itself (I reckon this is really unsafe but it's convenient for certain gameplay scenarios and may also be better than a cable/piston system for very tall shafts. see the elevator shaft puzzle from Portal 2).

In this case, it looks like you're aiming for what's just an elevator shaft and no elevator. I'l put a large motor (maybe get some clever use out of the spool prop?) and some dangling cables where the cab used to be.

I was looking more for a response that answers wether or not the elevator is passable. Maybe I should have specified that a bit more in my post. But thanks for the informative post about how elevators work. And this elevator is more orientated towards decoration rather than a gameplay mechanic, maybe that's something I should have explained better as well.

The platform with the railings is the elevator. perhaps the perspective of the pictures didn't really indicate that. The elevator shaft functions as a deathpit for bots. Alternatively, I could make it so that the elevator crashed, so that leaves only the elevator shaft to work on, along with broken cables. But I'll see, this is still an alpha map, so don't rreally have to put that much thought into decoration yet.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
I was looking more for a response that answers wether or not the elevator is passable. Maybe I should have specified that a bit more in my post. But thanks for the informative post about how elevators work. And this elevator is more orientated towards decoration rather than a gameplay mechanic, maybe that's something I should have explained better as well.

The platform with the railings is the elevator. perhaps the perspective of the pictures didn't really indicate that. The elevator shaft functions as a deathpit for bots. Alternatively, I could make it so that the elevator crashed, so that leaves only the elevator shaft to work on, along with broken cables. But I'll see, this is still an alpha map, so don't rreally have to put that much thought into decoration yet.

If that upper platform is meant to be the platform of the elevator cab itself, then it's definitely not passable. It's attached to the outside columns of the shaft, attached to the ceiling with metal columns, and is also pulled up above the top floor the elevator is meant to stop at.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
The heck happened with the lighting on those hay bales? They directly under a weather vane or something? At any rate, this looks like job for disabling vertex lighting on them.