Jusa

aa
May 28, 2013
20161018175501_1.jpg

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Blown up buildings are the next hip mid for koth maps. Nice job looks really cool
Coldfront was doing the ruined-building mid before it was cool. Insert joke about being 'cool' with regards to a snowy map here

Harvest doesn't count cos that one just has a hole in its roof.

sooshey

:3c
aa
Jan 7, 2015
I was mainly doing it so it would an interesting space to play in. Anyway here is an updated version with more stuff around and on the point and nicer lighting.
20161018160308_1.jpg
20161018160319_1.jpg
Be careful with trees in the play-space. Sometimes the models have no collision (or inaccurate collision) and they are great for hiding sentries such that the sentry can shoot the enemy but the enemy can't see it.

nickybakes

You should've played Rumbleverse
aa
Jul 28, 2015
Careful with putting those pine trees in gameplay spaces. They can be annoying to players as you can't see through them but you can shoot through them, so sentries can be easily hidden in em, along with projectiles flying through them (@sooshey kinda already said that for the frontline trees, but same can be applied to these pine trees). Other than that, it's a really good start!

ibex

aa
Sep 1, 2013
Careful with putting those pine trees in gameplay spaces. They can be annoying to players as you can't see through them but you can shoot through them, so sentries can be easily hidden in em, along with projectiles flying through them sooshey kinda already said that for the frontline trees, but same can be applied to these pine trees). Other than that, it's a really good start!

I have actually done a simple blockbullet and should probably go nobuild haha, but if they do cause problems I'll get rid of them.
YhvNYzG.png

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
Wait, harvest has a hole in its roof?
(CS:GO stuff)

Since you are using de_sparity's lighting, you may or may not know how the mapmaker 3kliksphilip is. He has a server where you can test your map similar to the servers here. It's much less populated than tf2maps, but a guide on how to get your map on and ready for a "gameweek" and an example of how he chooses maps is here. Be sure to tell him about all of the great maps you've made for tf2 :)

And of course, don't forget to look at the description.

nickybakes

You should've played Rumbleverse
aa
Jul 28, 2015
Wait, harvest has a hole in its roof?

Since you are using de_sparity's lighting, you may or may not know how the mapmaker 3kliksphilip is. He has a server where you can test your map similar to the servers here. It's much less populated than tf2maps, but a guide on how to get your map on and ready for a "gameweek" and an example of how he chooses maps is here. Be sure to tell him about all of the great maps you've made for tf2 :)

And of course, don't forget to look at the description.
Yup, I was thinking of using his playtesting to get some more feedback. However I don't think its still running anymore, as he's trying to mix things up currently with some custom gamemodes. Though he says on a reddit post that "Nothing's ever cancelled, just put on hold. Bit like Half Life 3." When he does do another test week, I'll be sure to try and get it in. Thanks for reminding me though!

ibex

aa
Sep 1, 2013
Actually shadows go to different direction than where sun is

That's the funny thing though, my picture uses default barnblitz lighting. You can check barnblitz, the sun is off 90degs.

Anyway, I recompiled the map with the correct direction, but I liked the composition of the first picture more. Not on my computer at the moment, but if you go to my steam profile through my tf2m profile it should be my most recent screenshot (from yesterday). I'll edit this post with the other picture when I'm able to get on my computer.

edit:
pgpxuvk.jpg

and no crowbar, rotating the map doesn't work. You have to change the properties in the light_environment and shadow_control, which is what I did in the above picture.

Last edited:

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
you can rotate the entire map by 90deg so the shadows made are the same again and fit the sun, or edit the skybox.

Jul 26, 2015
and no crowbar, rotating the map doesn't work. You have to change the properties in the light_environment and shadow_control, which is what I did in the above picture.

How does it not work? What controls the orientation of the skybox relative to map geometry then?

ibex

aa
Sep 1, 2013
How does it not work? What controls the orientation of the skybox relative to map geometry then?

Skybox relative to geo, yes. Skybox relative to light/shadow direction, no.

Rotating the map changes the position of the skybox, but I'd still have to rotate the light/shadow to line up with the light in the first image, even then the composition of that image is down to the addition of the colors present in the skybox, from the sun mostly. The same image would look pretty bland without that sun there while the skybox would be in alignment.

edit:
RZ6q2uQ.jpg

Maybe I'm misunderstanding which post crowbar was addressing because he didn't quote anything, but I prefer the position of the skybox in the first image over the direction of the lighting atm. I'll remove my disagreement for now because I don't know what he was attempting to address.

Last edited: