WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

RubbishyUser

L7: Fancy Member
Feb 17, 2013
Those who are technologically inclined: How does Pyrovision actually work when it comes to map appearance? Is Pyrovision something we could work into custom maps?

Bakscratch

Finisher of Maps
aa
Oct 29, 2010
Those who are technologically inclined: How does Pyrovision actually work when it comes to map appearance? Is Pyrovision something we could work into custom maps?

Its a shader applied to textures, you can add textures but its a very timely thing to do and is only local so you cant pack it in with the map (I think anyway as it replaces cfg files)

there is a wiki page here https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Pyro_vision

Oct 6, 2008

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
There is a blog post on how Valve made pyrovision textures.

However, any map can be converted to 'pyrovision enabled' by adding it to a whitelist somewhere in the cfg folder. That being said, Unless the proper/model has the proper shaders/stuff done to it to allow for Pyrovision, it won't just automatically become pyro'd.

Bull

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 30, 2011
Decided to stop my main project for a while due to me not feeling too good about it;

Now started with a new A/D CP map. Not sure on a theme / name yet, got a very general layout idea ready.

Last CP draft is ready as well:

acb54963fe.jpg

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Decided to stop my main project for a while due to me not feeling too good about it;

Now started with a new A/D CP map. Not sure on a theme / name yet, got a very general layout idea ready.

Last CP draft is ready as well:

acb54963fe.jpg

Looks nice! Only flaw I can see is that the area drags out a bit too far to the left, but that might just be me.

And a name/theme idea:

Harbor area, not enough maps use that theme.

Name: cp_dockside

Bull

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 30, 2011
Looks nice! Only flaw I can see is that the area drags out a bit too far to the left, but that might just be me.

And a name/theme idea:

Harbor area, not enough maps use that theme.

Name: cp_dockside

Oh yeah, gonna make the left area a bit smaller, it's a bit big because of the stairway going under that bridge-thingy.

Also, a harbor theme is interesting! I'll be sure to keep it in mind; was gonna do something like Well with (stationary) trains, but I could easily combine the two.

Thanks!

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I made it for snowplow, I hadn't planned on giving it out, but frozen went and gave everything out because I probably ok'd it when I wasn't thinking

tiling mesh:
cliffmesh.JPG

comparison:
newsnowblend.gif

I stand in awe of your blend-texture creation skills. I should see about modding my game to auto-replace the old material with this one.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
It's pretty basic. The mesh is quite low poly so the resulting normal isn't very detailed, it would have been loads better if I'd done -any- sculting on it at all. Then as for the diffuse, it's solid colour + AO from mesh + detail maps from TF2's existing textures. The blend mask is then the existing snowblend for one chanel and the Y chanel from the normal map modified (so you get snow on the tops waaaay before it covers the flats)

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
And yet it looks so much better than what Valve had. Just goes to show what you can do with the tools you have and a healthy dose of I-can-do-better-than-that.

leops

L1: Registered
Jun 30, 2012
Some time ago, I started writing a VMF map viewer in JavaScript. But I had a problem with my BSP algorithm generating too many vertices.

You'll wait event longer for the end of these lines:
c83de0aea6.png

Then I went on to work on another project, and I totally forgot I had this in the first place (Could this be the explanation for HL3 ?).

But 57 pages later, I reopened THAT folder and decided to finally fix it. By porting the original code to JavaScript (specifically that part). Which makes me wonder how the Source SDK license handles porting the code to another language ...

But after digging into Source engine internals (and also some bits of Quake III code), I finally managed to get the CSG calculation right. While I was at it, I decided to move from a simple web page to using nw.js, which allows me to access directly the filesystem from JavaScript.

Unreadable Dustbowl screenshot:
8740a59931.png

What's on my todo list:
- Code a native binding for VTFlib, and display textures instead of (ugly?) colors
- Add better support for displacements
- Display sprite entities (parsing FGD files to get this info should not be a problem)

What's not in my todo list:
- Display meshes entities (unless I find an easy way to load mdl files)
- Allow edition of the maps (the real problem here is not making the scene editable, it's writing the map back into a VMF)
- Learn how to map

See you in 6 month !

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
And yet it looks so much better than what Valve had. Just goes to show what you can do with the tools you have and a healthy dose of I-can-do-better-than-that.

I wouldn't say it's "better." It's certainly high quality but the two textures have very different goals. Valve's seems to be more traditional TF2 style.. low detail, more suggestive than literal. YM's seems focused on creating a real sense of depth.

Which one is appropriate depends on the scene being built.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Some time ago, I started writing a VMF map viewer in JavaScript. But I had a problem with my BSP algorithm generating too many vertices.

Well, this is great!...

But... what's the purpose of this, might I ask?

Not to beat you down, it looks great, but, why?

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
Well, this is great!...

But... what's the purpose of this, might I ask?

Not to beat you down, it looks great, but, why?

Online map viewer I presume?

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Yeah... but, why would we need to?
We have hammer...

I guess he has something else it would do in mind.

An online map viewer would be incredibly useful, given integration with other systems - heatmap data, spectating matches, etc. Even just being able to view a map without loading TF2 would be awesome.

Not that I want to make any promises about what leops is making; I don't know what his plans are.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
An online map viewer would be incredibly useful, given integration with other systems - heatmap data, spectating matches, etc. Even just being able to view a map without loading TF2 would be awesome.

Not that I want to make any promises about what leops is making; I don't know what his plans are.

Well, when you put it that way, that makes sense.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Damn shame what happened to Crafty...