WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Sheltr

L3: Member
Feb 24, 2011
I reaaaaaaaaaally like the concept, but I feel like the shark head can be more tf2-ified. A little more painterly and stylistic. Remember to look up JC Leyendecker for inspiration for TF2's art.

I'll give it a go! Still not really sure how I give the effect but I'll try and find a way before i put it in game.

Spipper

Former cheese man Gorgonzola
aa
Feb 18, 2012
Experimenting a bit with wacky cp designs in a 5cp map.

Center cp:
4oolUIS.jpg

lAx1OxZ.jpg

connector:
MLfnkrE.jpg

2/4 cp:
bPsKBet.jpg

Besides the nighttime lighting, and bright white saltflat textures, I'm attempting to keep it as comp-friendly as possible at the time, with lots of open chokes, a clear layout, various holding spots, short walking distances, easy manoeuvrability for rocket- and stickyjumpers etc.

The gay roamer spots are yet to come though.

Shogun

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 31, 2014
If you're worried about the color of the salt-flat texture, you might be able to give it sort of a sandy tint. I think salt flats can be that color too in some places.

What is it about white textures comp players don't like? It's color blindness, right?

Spipper

Former cheese man Gorgonzola
aa
Feb 18, 2012
What is it about white textures comp players don't like? It's color blindness, right?

Yep, it should be pretty hard to distinguish players from BLU team from the white texture. I don't know if this is only a problem with snow textures.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
I really don't think "colour blindness" is the issue with snow. The reasons I've always heard about them from comp was that:

1) the particles kicked up from the snow texture affect their framerate,

2) some snow textures have a non-trivial "slippery" affect on movement, and

3) the brightness in strong lighting washed out details (especially with the configs most comp players use)

And I think there was another reason relating to the footstep sound on snow, but I can't remember what that was about.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
It depends on which ones you use. Might be just the HL2 ones in fact, but I've played some custom maps from here where the mapper used the slippery ones.

Moonfixer

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 23, 2014
koth_outskirts_a2

NcEiE9B.jpg

j5WQv5e.jpg

BxZZcMC.jpg

LirvScj.jpg

I plan to change the wall colors to represent red side and blu side before I release the a2 and put patches under the ammo/health packs.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I really don't think "colour blindness" is the issue with snow.
It's hard for me to swallow too, given that two of comp's favorite maps are the decidedly-white Process and Standin. Still, TF2 really ought to have a color blind mode where certain things, particularly player models, are made radically different in some way other than hue. The fact that TF2 has a color blind mode but it doesn't do that just adds insult to injury.

1) the particles kicked up from the snow texture affect their framerate,
I've said before that Valve needs to flag said particles as "weather" for this very reason.

3) the brightness in strong lighting washed out details (especially with the configs most comp players use)
This is a new one to me. I wonder if there's anything that can be done with that.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
cp_underworks -
2A8781D8353FF339BAE6968D8254787561310993

It's a 5cp map where you progress from mid, which is underground, up to the surface. Basically, from completely underground, to deep in a hole, to surface.