WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Shogun

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 31, 2014
Payload Race!

X6kBXaI.jpg

FKMAerU.jpg

OphnWfk.jpg

Decided on calling it plr_haystack. Pretty sure that name isn't taken.

Moonfixer

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 23, 2014
You realize you're using a 64x64 dev texture used to represent ice? I suggest you use the 128x128 dev reflectivity textures to reduce visual noise.

Thanks, I did not realize it at the time. As I said I was planning to change the bulk of those textures with the red and blue. But I plan on keeping the point area white for now so I will need to change that texture as you pointed out. Thanks for noticing and making the suggestion.

RubbishyUser

L7: Fancy Member
Feb 17, 2013
It's quite possible, Toomai, that you put too much effort into making that hole round. Obviously, the more surfaces you have the more of a pain it is to calculate vis and since, in my experience, players don't really notice anything greater than a 20 sided shape for large cylinders you'd probably be fine with that.

EDIT: Ehh, actually on closer inspection it looks like that is exactly what you did. Told you people can't tell the difference.

Last edited:

Toomai

L3: Member
Apr 14, 2011
32 sides, and it's all func_detail, so vis just thinks it's a square. It's kind of the centerpiece of the map, it can use a bit of polish. (The drill itself will hopefully be a model instead of a cone brush eventually.)

It's also deep enough that it's impossible to see your corpse hit the bottom.

Toomai

L3: Member
Apr 14, 2011
You can make a func_illusion at the bottom to make corpses disappear which fell in the pit. just an idea.
Thought of that kind of thing, but when you fall in you still have the camera follow you down for a few seconds. I thought it was funnier to never see yourself hit bottom.
Why not use this drill model instead of that uh... giant pencil tip...?
It's a placeholder. I'll have to decide if that drill fits with the map.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
It's quite possible, Toomai, that you put too much effort into making that hole round. Obviously, the more surfaces you have the more of a pain it is to calculate vis and since, in my experience, players don't really notice anything greater than a 20 sided shape for large cylinders you'd probably be fine with that.
Do visleaves with a lot of sides actually present a calculation problem? Because that's what you'd be looking at here, a single pseudocylinder (not counting the automatic subdivisions VBSP makes at regular intervals). I always assumed those were way better than, say, rounded outer corners where you get a buttload of little wedges, but I hadn't thought about calculation complexity.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Gonna junk up the WIP thread with some more model stuffs:

The Hornrimmed Hitman
"With these hip frames and sloppy bowl cut, convincing people that you weren't in the library overlooking a Dallas motorcade will be more difficult than ever before!"

Workshop Link

RubbishyUser

L7: Fancy Member
Feb 17, 2013
Surprising amount of fog in space there, Alias. It all looks good apart from that little wooden arrow in the last pic, and in fact wood in general (Do we have A, B, C signs/overlays from Asteroid - could somebody mock them up?). If not, forget about the signs for now - just find some good arrow overlay that you can put in there.