The Tf2 Emporium Vehicle Map Pack Competition

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Texturing can finally begin! Two days of unwrapping (with distractions of course)

20.jpg

Jukebox

L2: Junior Member
Feb 21, 2014
Sorry for the delay, but 3 UV-redos later..
7qqAV.jpg

7qqHy.jpg

7qqGH.jpg

If you're interested in texturing send me a message. Having someone who can texture better than me would be nice.

Edit: Ignore the Medi-mask. Just now realized it was there.

Toomai

L3: Member
Apr 14, 2011
So I decided to give this a go for some reason.

progress02.gif

That pad at the bottom is a control point (approximately).

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
I've started base colors for the alpine themed skin of JukeBox's fabulous army truck model. This is my first time doing large-scale texturing and 3rd time actually texturing something, so I have some questions and need suggestions.

Here's the base colors:

My questions:

1. How do I make the chrome parts (mirrors, headlamps, door handles) reflect the world?
2. What do I do with the windows since there is no interior?
3. How can I make the headlamps look like they're actually casting light? Or should I just make them dark?
4. The white ladder at the back is going to be wooden, but I'm unsure as to how I should do that for TF2. Should I just extract some wood textures from the source and use those?

I'm using Blender and Photoshop CS6 if anyone wants to know and thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Loving this contest already. Can't wait to use some of the results.

I just hope everyone keeps in mind the tris count and if they plan on doing models for SFM and maps. Maybe separate models for each?

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
Loving this contest already. Can't wait to use some of the results.

I just hope everyone keeps in mind the tris count and if they plan on doing models for SFM and maps. Maybe separate models for each?

If you check out the main thread on FP, you'll find that's what most people are/will be doing.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
1. How do I make the chrome parts (mirrors, headlamps, door handles) reflect the world?
That's done using a material parameter when you convert the texture for use in Source, specifically $envmap. You'd best read up on material files in general for this since there's a lot you need to know and still more you're likely to find useful, like how to enable phong shading to add a subtle sheen like the dumptruck.

I personally recommend splitting the UV map for those parts out into a separate (small) texture file, to keep it from looking like crap in Hammer. Hammer disregards envmap masks, which is the only way to define which parts of a single texture are shiny and which ones aren't. For reference, the Land Rover in the swamp pack doesn't do this; Rexy's vending machine does. I don't know of any other models, official or otherwise, that mix shiny and non-shiny elements. Note that you probably should still use an envmap mask on the shiny parts' material to match the ambient occlusion.

2. What do I do with the windows since there is no interior?
Just black them out. Or, like, brown them out like the Sniper's camper van.

3. How can I make the headlamps look like they're actually casting light? Or should I just make them dark?
Another material parameter, $selfillum. This one can just be applied to the entire texture and then filtered out using a mask texture.

Jukebox

Feb 21, 2014
Texture Progress
7B0Uf.png

I've changed the base colors for the red and blue textures. Also added some wear and stuff, still in progress with that though:

7BQAQ.jpg

Any thoughts?

Edit: do [t] tags not work here?

Yacan1

D I G I T A L I N F L U E N C E R
aa
Nov 7, 2010
Texture Progress
*army trucks*
Any thoughts?

Edit: do [t] tags not work here?

Maybe add cloth patches on the canopy on the back? like different cloth pieces stitched on. Or just general ware on the cloth, it looks like skin right now sort of.

Jukebox

Feb 21, 2014
Ministry of Silly Bikes

7L3W1.jpg

7L3YK.jpg

Truck is pretty much complete, textures haven't changed too much since last progress pic, only slight tweaks. No patches, sorry Yacan. All I need to do now is fix up the qc to get the skins working, having trouble with that.

Edit: Texture progress for the night. Can't think of any other color schemes for alt skins, lemme know if you have any.

7LaRz.jpg

Last edited:

Riptide651

L1: Registered
Mar 17, 2014
Wow the T1 is amazing. If placed as a static prop you could use the stairs in the back as an actual usable stair set.

Also, that MvM tank idea is something worth delving into, such as making a military themed MvM map with the army tank as the tank.

Jukebox

Feb 21, 2014
Army Truck
Includes 10 skins!

izb1XvH.png

Lbnffjv.jpg

PaNeDQq.png

Tricycle
Includes 3 skins!

IjYUESM.png

Penny Farthing

lrqdMYX.png

QJlqIyl.png

Thanks to CDJO for all the SFM shots.

SFM rigged versions will be released when I have time to make them.

Last edited: