The Mayann Project

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Well this got off topic quickly..

@ics I still don't know about workshop soundscapes. I thought they were fixed but if they're not working we can always ping @The Jill because they're kinda important for heavily customised maps!!

LadyRaee

CHEERFULLY SUICIDAL
Sep 1, 2012
:steamsalt:
Me? Salty? Noooooooo. I can't be salty. it's not because it wasmade all class, my dream unus (Miami Nights The Cotton Head) went from 18 keys to 80 when I had started gathering funds for it

LadyRaee

CHEERFULLY SUICIDAL
Sep 1, 2012
Anyways, I think I mayan contribute to project with MvM map, I have layout idea sketched and thought through since they released Mecha Engine mini-content update

zahndah

professional letter
aa
Jul 4, 2015
Mind if I ask, when would you say the latest you could accept maps on this project is?

no idea yet, as there is currently no deadline. There will only be one if valve accepts it as an update and then sets a deadline for it.

Sep 14, 2015
Well this got off topic quickly..

@ics I still don't know about workshop soundscapes. I thought they were fixed but if they're not working we can always ping @The Jill because they're kinda important for heavily customised maps!!
Soundscapes are still buggy, they're on the list for cleanup.

I don't think it made it into any patchnotes, but nav files now support being embedded into BSPs as "embed.nav", such that renaming doesn't destroy things. I will likely hook up soundscapes and particle manifests similarly.

You can also now embed pop files without prefixes -- e.g. scripts/population/advanced1.pop

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
Will we still be able to use filenames for our navmeshes and script files that incorporate the map's filename, in our Workshop maps? e.g. soundscapes_my_map_a1.txt? Or will we be forced to use embed.nav and soundscapes_embed.txt?

Packing programs pick up these files automatically, at the moment. It would be annoying to need to copy them, rename them, and pack them manually. Unless we can persuade the makers of CompilePal to do it for us.

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
I'm currently working on updating compilepal so I'll be looking into this. What's going to happen is I'll be detecting files with the usual naming convention and rename them to "embed.nav" in the pak file so it's workshop safe. There won't be anything to change in people's workflow.

Sep 14, 2015
Map-named files will still work inside the BSP, but are likely to break for workshop maps and upon rename. Ideally the packing tools would prefer the embed.nav style, which will be more robust.

For files generally generated post-compile (nav meshes, pop files), I have a tweak to the workshop uploader to remind you to pack them and offer to do so (it repacks maps to ensure compression anyway).

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Map-named files will still work inside the BSP, but are likely to break for workshop maps and upon rename. Ideally the packing tools would prefer the embed.nav style, which will be more robust.

For files generally generated post-compile (nav meshes, pop files), I have a tweak to the workshop uploader to remind you to pack them and offer to do so (it repacks maps to ensure compression anyway).
Speaking of the workshop, is it possible to get a slight change in map workshop download location? You have no idea how many people go "I downloaded map but it doesn't show up in TF2 what did I do wrong pls halp" and every time you need to tell them that they need to take the map from steam/workshop/content/440/*random workshop ID number/mapname.bsp and copy it to tf/maps or tf/download/maps. That, or telling them to remember the workshop ID for the map and typing map workshop/mapID.bsp in the console every time. It's not exactly user friendly. If they could be downloaded within TF2's file system (or let TF2 search for map names outside its file system like it does with workshop IDs right now) that'd be great. Like, there already is a tf/workshop folder. Might as well put a maps subfolder in there and download the maps there.

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010
Speaking of the workshop, is it possible to get a slight change in map workshop download location? You have no idea how many people go "I downloaded map but it doesn't show up in TF2 what did I do wrong pls halp" and every time you need to tell them that they need to take the map from steam/workshop/content/440/*random workshop ID number/mapname.bsp and copy it to tf/maps or tf/download/maps. That, or telling them to remember the workshop ID for the map and typing map workshop/mapID.bsp in the console every time. It's not exactly user friendly. If they could be downloaded within TF2's file system (or let TF2 search for map names outside its file system like it does with workshop IDs right now) that'd be great. Like, there already is a tf/workshop folder. Might as well put a maps subfolder in there and download the maps there.

You're not entirely correct. Players can run the map by subscribing and then for example typing to console map workshop/601801525 which would load map pl_moonbase_b10, if you are subscribed to it. No need to copy the file to maps folder. If i remember correctly, simply typing map mapidhere in CSGO, it will load the map itself to but not in TF2.

However, while people go and press subscribe, then they are wondering "where can i download this map" or play it as it doesn't show up ingame in lists and you cannot do map mapname from command line either unless you know it starts with workshop/mapidhere. This is hard for them to comprehend and they don't even know this stuff at all. I resolved this by setting up a server to run a map when i submit to workshop but still a lot of people still don't know how to get in there.

There should be a way in workshop to have a button next to subscribe button that would say "play this map" and it would search for servers immediately, launching TF2 if found.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
You're not entirely correct. Players can run the map by subscribing and then for example typing to console map workshop/601801525 which would load map pl_moonbase_b10, if you are subscribed to it. No need to copy the file to maps folder. If i remember correctly, simply typing map mapidhere in CSGO, it will load the map itself to but not in TF2.

However, while people go and press subscribe, then they are wondering "where can i download this map" or play it as it doesn't show up ingame in lists and you cannot do map mapname from command line either unless you know it starts with workshop/mapidhere. This is hard for them to comprehend and they don't even know this stuff at all. I resolved this by setting up a server to run a map when i submit to workshop but still a lot of people still don't know how to get in there.

There should be a way in workshop to have a button next to subscribe button that would say "play this map" and it would search for servers immediately, launching TF2 if found.
Again, random numbers.

It would be nice if Valve could host top-rated workshop maps on their servers, and then have some form of voting system. Top voter gets included in an official update and gets removed from the map pool, making place for new entries. Most people in the workshop vote off of the screenshots and how it looks, not actually on gameplay.

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
Quite surprised how much you can do with just the Mayan/Aztec assets EArkham did. However more than Mayan guy face, snake head, stelae and stoneworks would help a lot. (inb4 soon in like few months :chord:)