The 2016 Winter 72HR TF2Jam

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
[parsehtml]<center><iframe seamless='yes' scrolling='no' width=350 height=150 style='border:0;outline:0;position:relative;z-index:1;' src="http://magic.geit.uk/countdown/new_cd/?TVImage=http://geit.uk/uploads/tf2m-roundel-tv.png&transform=rotate%28-0.9deg%29"></iframe></center>[/parsehtml]
Time converter at worldtimebuddy.com

How To Get Your Map Tested - Where To Show Off What You're Making - Where To Submit Your Final Version

It's once again the most wonderful time of the year - except this year it's all the better. It's time for our very first 72hour TF2 Jam! Mappers, prepare your hammers! Animators, get your cameras rolling! Modellers, rev up your Blenders! And everyone else just get ready to knuckle down: It's time to get creating.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iITSFW55H4g&feature=youtu.be

Rules:
  • Make something for or about Team Fortress 2.
  • Do not start before 6pm GMT Friday January 29th, and finish before 6pm GMT Monday February 1st.
  • Before time ends, post a link to your finished project in the Upload thread, which will open at the start of the contest.
    • This lets everyone see what everyone has done- you won't get much thanks or adoration if it's not in here, but it isn't mandatory.
  • You may sketch/plan as needed before the jam begins, but you may not start working. (See the FAQ below for further details.)
  • You may use publicly available resources or tools such as ABS's Mappers Resource or Fuse, but you must credit them appropriately.
    • This also applies to custom content.
  • You may collaborate with other people.
There are a few extra restrictions for maps if they want to be tested on our servers - see the FAQ for details. You don't need to abide by these if you don't want to test on our servers.

FAQ
Why a TF2 jam? What's the point?
The idea of this is to get everyone together around the same time, hang out, and create some cool tf2 content together! Maybe we can connect our communities a little more, and find some people we'd be interested in working with in the future! At the very least, we'll come out of the weekend with a whole bunch of new content for TF2.

Can I enter on another day?
Yes - you can enter on whatever 72hr period you wish, though we suggest you do so before the normal contest time. Simply post the dates/times you wish to enter in this thread, and i'll make a list.

We can't promise to provide the same amount of support for people entering outside the normal time, but we'll do our best.

Is this a contest? Are there prizes?
Previously we've run similar events as a contest - but this isn't one. There's no prizes, and a lot fewer rules.

What can I do before the jam starts?
This depends on what it is you want to do with the jam. Do you want to go from a completely blank slate to a finished project, or meticulously plan every detail before opening your chosen tool? Either is fine.

What we don't want people doing is continuing with half-finished or already-in-development projects. The jam is a great time to flex your creative muscles and try something new.

Can I get feedback on my project?
Yes! We'll be running regular impromptu tests for maps over the week, (including servers for MVM maps,) and we'll do our best to help with other things. Be sure to join us in our steam chat for the fastest possible feedback and discussion.

I want someone to collaborate with me!
Post in the thread you're in right now, and maybe someone will offer to join you. (It usually helps your chances to say both what you're good at and what ideas you already have.)

One way that we'd love to see collaborations is people making models for maps - if you're making a map and want some specific models then say: or if you want to make props for use in a map then also say that.

What are these extra rules for testing maps?
  • Don't use special characters or capital letters in your filename.
  • There's no limit on filesize. (Save what people are willing to download)
  • Maps must be able to spawn at least 24 players (12 per team).
  • Include some lighting - no fullbright maps.
  • If your map requires point_servercommands to be active, then contact an admin before running it. We reserve the right to refuse any map like this.
  • We will be running a separate server for MVM maps. Speak to a admin to have your map tested on this.

Community
If you want to join other people participating to chat we have a steam chat (always busy) and a mumble at eu.tf2maps.net, port 64738 (usually quite empty outside the jam time). Join our steam group to get notifications about tests.

If you're making a map, feel free to make a thread for it - and whatever you're making check out our Work In Progress thread! We also love people streaming: if you're planning on streaming your efforts, post a link to your livestream here. Don't post things on the steam group main page, though: we don't check it very often.

_____​

That's everything! Remember, this time is all about creativity, collaboration, and feedback. Do something new and different, do it together, and help other people. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here or in our steam chat, or PM me directly!​

Last edited:

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
So, whose going to make a model of jam during it labelled the 'TF2maps Jam" with a use by date of 2nd of Feburary.

On second thoughts, dibs.

MaccyF

Notoriously Unreliable
aa
Mar 27, 2015
Now i just need to decide what to make :/

So, whose going to make a model of jam during it labelled the 'TF2maps Jam" with a use by date of 2nd of Feburary.

Jamjar memes have never been so alive

capture-png.1162

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
As I stated in a conversation with Swordfish earlier, I will not be able to compete on the desired time schedule due to me working weekends. My time (if it's alright with the hosts of the contest) will be set on Monday, January 18th to Wednesday, January the 20th.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Maybe tf.tv would be interested?

BenCo

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 30, 2015
So where am i going to upload my map? Or you guys make an another thread? Sorry first Jam where I enter. Beginners also can join?