The 2016 UGC League Fall Season is Starting!

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
Forgive me, but I'm failing to see how white doesn't contrast well with red and blue? And how does it affect depth perception?
the issue isnt telling red and white apart or blue and white apart, its telling red and blue apart against white, due to how the human eye registers colour, amplified in people with colorblindness (we want it to be a level playing field, remember)

as for depth perception, when the white texture used for snow has very little actual readable details on it, its hard to see how its been skewed on a displacement and therefore what shape the displacement is/how far away it is.

Jul 6, 2015
But it's not hard for color blind people to tell red apart from green??
when the white texture used for snow has very little actual readable details on it, its hard to see how its been skewed on a displacement and therefore what shape the displacement is/how far away it is.
Main Reason comp maps are green, you cant see things as well.

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
But it's not hard for color blind people to tell red apart from green??
You can see the players easily because of contrast, you can identify what team they are because it isnt on white.

It's more complicated than that but it's really not worth covering the nuances of human vision over this.

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010
Well, i've been talking with the UGC highlander folks and they didn't directly suggest changing my map off from snow. It has come up in our talks and i even asked if that is a problem. Only concern was some dark places that needs to be lit better and if framerate is an issue with snow (and it really isn't).

So i'm kind of thinking maybe this white against red against blu is a gimmick that isn't a problem for majority of players and just assumed so. I have no problems playing snow maps or seeing players myself nor i have ever heard anyone on any public servers saying so.

leprecan

L2: Junior Member
Feb 10, 2013
Well, i've been talking with the UGC highlander folks and they didn't directly suggest changing my map off from snow. It has come up in our talks and i even asked if that is a problem. Only concern was some dark places that needs to be lit better and if framerate is an issue with snow (and it really isn't).

So i'm kind of thinking maybe this white against red against blu is a gimmick that isn't a problem for majority of players and just assumed so. I have no problems playing snow maps or seeing players myself nor i have ever heard anyone on any public servers saying so.

Sometimes its about differentiating the map from its original. When I tooled around with badwater_pro_v, people were asking if I was going to retheme to make it more recognizable at a glance. The desert theme itself didn't cause any trouble, but swapping it would cut down the amount of "So whats new? Looks like old map to me".

In your case, if any edits you make to the map to be more competitive are in the base version, there shouldn't be any confusion.