TF2Maps.net Mapping Contest #5: The Art Pass Contest

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
My point was that using PackBSP is a bad idea since it is piece of crap, and using auto-scan is a bad idea. We've known for 6 years that auto scan doesn't work right, dunno why people still use it.

ESPECIALLY since doing multiple pack operations on the same bsp to add the assets you missed is a great way to corrupt it.

If you have had problems with PackBSP, I'd be glad to process any debug logs you might have. My previous post linked to the support-page.

Last edited:

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
My point was that using PackBSP is a bad idea since it is piece of crap, and using auto-scan is a bad idea. We've known for 6 years that auto scan doesn't work right, dunno why people still use it.
PackBSP is less than a year old. If you are trying to equate its scanner to pakrat's scanner then you are foolish. Despite any problems it may have, it's still a good tool.

re1wind

aa
Aug 12, 2009
well then. i've fixed my missing textures, and spruced up the map a lot. map has been uploaded to dropbox and is the same download as before, or should be.

The more i run around this "final" map, the more errors i'm finding, and it's only helping me to loose hairs, so i'm going to stop right now and say it's "done". will pm zpq.

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
The more i run around this "final" map, the more errors i'm finding, and it's only helping me to loose hairs, so i'm going to stop right now and say it's "done". will pm zpq.

I did the same thing. Had to pack (even more) missing textures by hand than I had originally thought, had mistakenly left the first CP's capture time at 4 seconds (instead of the original 40--I was testing my lightning and didn't want to wait so long), then had to pack another texture I'd missed the first three times. :facepalm:

Mr. Happy

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 16, 2008
PackBSP is less than a year old. If you are trying to equate its scanner to pakrat's scanner then you are foolish. Despite any problems it may have, it's still a good tool.

"Piece of crap" was too harsh, how about useless to me and broken? I'm not comparing the scan feature since I don't use it.

There's absolutely no reason to use scan since you have to move the assets out of the directory for testing anyway so it's easier just to add the folders, which can't do with packbsp. In the end it takes more time than just selecting entire folders of assets because you have to hunt down the missing stuff and manually fixup names and whatnot.

Besides this there are annoying things such as having to set steam and game directories everytime it's run. Also, and this may just be my computer, but the damn thing doesn't even work. It won't run if steam is running because it needs access to the blob file and of course it can't pack the bsp if steam ISNT running. What does it do if you try to pack a bsp while steam isn't running? It deletes it. Also as far as I can see you can't use it to export a pak or lst.

Anyway it's not a badly made, it just doesn't do what I need it to. If the scan worked 100%, you could add folders, and it had automatic path fixup then it would be better than packrat. As it stands the better scan just tricks people into using scan.

Last edited:

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
I do believe that's why they have a bug report email address.

The "remember steam directory" thing is even fixed for the next version because I had the balls to ask the guy for it.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
PM ZPQ. He's gonna send them off (presumably) at noon, GMT. Since it was exactly a week of grace.

He might miss it here, and with only a couple hours left...

sniprpenguin

Mar 14, 2008
I guess I should also post that I updated mine. I PM'd ZPQ about it twice (once when I said I'm gonna fix this, another when I said I fixed it), but I love how I always get no response from admins, even when action is taken. :|

Apr 19, 2009
Yeah a friend of mine (Irish Taxi Driver) PM'd zpq and friend requested him on steam. So far he has gotten jack shit.

It really is frustrating when mods don't step up to the plate and its even worse when its the person in charge of the contest!

zpqrei

Theme Changer Extraordinaire
aa
Oct 19, 2008
I'm sorry I can't reply to everyone, but I'm getting so many PMs that I can't reply to them all, they're all read though.

2hod3r4.png

I'm not getting paid for this, you know.

Owlruler

L12: Fabulous Member
Dec 10, 2008
By the way, I am the one making the pack <.<
Joys of uploading a 0.9GB pack to dropbox.

PS, if you're going to add me on steam, please send a PM, since I think I just rejected someone who might have been wanting to talk about this.

PPS, there are I think, 3 maps I don't have. They are all ones from people who used megaupload and the one who used rapidshare. This is due to the fact that the websites were down when I went through every post and downloaded. If you used megaupload or rapidshare, send me a PM with a link to the file hosted somewhere like; here, filesmelt or dropbox.

Last edited:

sniprpenguin

Mar 14, 2008
Well, even just accepting friend requests on Steam is a click, man.