TF2Maps.net Mapping Contest #5: The Art Pass Contest

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
Christ it only ended today! Valve don't even have their hands on the maps yet.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
yea, probably

Definitely. the "time to fix things" grace period lasts a whole week, only then will ZPQ send the stuff to valve.

Also where did the rumour that the polycount and artpass things will be released at the same time come from?

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Don't look at me. I only told everyone about it when Polycount ended.

Polycount will be released with Halloween.

re1wind

aa
Aug 12, 2009
lies. polycount comes with artpass, hence why we get the 1 week grace period to polish it up after "finishing" it. bugs, tweaks, etc. why wouldn't artpass come with polycount? community update right there. :p

Grace week is going to save my submission as i failed to add the correct textures to it and added the wrong ones. yay for stress.

/me makes not to self to add a catmageddon easter egg somewhere in the map.

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
Grace week is going to save my submission as i failed to add the correct textures to it and added the wrong ones. yay for stress.

I haven't heard back from ZPQ about being allowed to update my submission file (though I can be trixy and just re-upload a new zip to my server). But it looks like I'm going to have to use PackBSP again as I still have textures that weren't packed. :facepalm:
For some reason I have five models that didn't get their textures packed automatically (I wonder if it has to do with the "recoverable cyclic error" that PackBSP throws).
And I need to recompile again too, as a friend noticed I had some non-solid props that should have been solid.

/me makes not to self to add a catmageddon easter egg somewhere in the map.

I have an easter egg (or two) in my map. ;)
Or really...I have many easter eggs. Or should I say, Australium bars hidden throughout? Some are in plain sight, others are not. There are 6 that can't be seen at all without some clever jumping (I consider that stack as two easter eggs: one for the bars and one just due to how you have to get to them).

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Well i have model materials that are packed but don't show ingame.

They show in a listen server on my machine, but not on the TF2maps servers. No idea why. Dark even unpacked my bsp and all the files are there for him too, but people still get purple checkers.

Draco18s

Sep 19, 2009
I can't speak for Pakrat, but if PackBSP isn't doing it, it's a bug.

My map his a cyclic error ("cycle detected in graph") and fails to pack several textures.

Had to manually add the buttress_tree, buttress_stump, airboat, fern*, and animated_gator textures by hand.

*One of two textures is packed, the second is not.

Mr. Happy

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 16, 2008
This is why you copy your custom material and model folders to a new folder, keeping their directory structure and then use packrat in manual mode. Just select all the folders at once, click yes to all to fix up the names and magic! It just works....

@Terr PackBSP is a bug, the whole program, is a bug. If it works for you, you are magic. Everyone else should use packrat or VIDE (if you are a masochist).

Last edited:

Draco18s

Sep 19, 2009
This is why you copy your custom material and model folders to a new folder, keeping their directory structure and then use packrat in manual mode. Just select all the folders at once, click yes to all to fix up the names and magic! It just works....

...I'd like to point out that Pakrat freezes due to this error and that PackBSP recovers even if I have to manually add my materials.

And any error that requires me to "copy my folder structure" to another location should be solved as a bug and I should not have to work around it.

Draco18s

Sep 19, 2009
So how do we go about re-submitting our entry? I forgot to build cubemaps and would like to fix that real quick.

Supposedly PM ZPQ, but I haven't heard back yet myself for the ton of missing textures I had, as well as the incorrect time on point A.

Mr. Happy

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 16, 2008
Well you don't have to copy your assets, though it does make things easier, and you need to remove them from your steam directory during testing anyway and of course you've got them in a backup folder anyway. My point was that using PackBSP is a bad idea since it is piece of crap, and using auto-scan is a bad idea. We've known for 6 years that auto scan doesn't work right, dunno why people still use it.

ESPECIALLY since doing multiple pack operations on the same bsp to add the assets you missed is a great way to corrupt it.

Anyway my point was that since you've organized your custom assets properly all you have to do is select the folders their in with a manual add operation, and neither PackBSP nor VIDE supports manually adding assets in groups like that.

But what do I know, I mean, it's not like 99% of people have problems with paking and I don't.

Last edited: