TF2Maps.net Major Mapping Contest #11: Mercs vs. Aliens - Sponsored by Ronin

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
It's up to you Ronin/Frozen if you want some rushed entries, as much as it's our own fault if you really want the pack to shine and multiple people are asking for more time to do so, I think giving the time would be wise.

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
I don't think there should be an extension, we already sorta had one. Plus a deadline is a deadline, if people cant get it done by then its their fault for not using the entire time, people have had since June to come up with ideas and test. If people cant keep to deadlines why give them the luxury of giving them extra time, you would be punishing the people who have a finished map for the set dead line already.
If you look at any other Mapping sits that do contests they almost never give extra time as they know a deadline is a deadline simple.

i agree

fuk people who dont dedicate all their time to contests and fuk slower mappers too

contests with six entries tops are the best contests anyway

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
You're both right. It's a shame that our contests keep ending with so few entrants, but the fact that so few people have the initiative to actually work on stuff is nobody's fault but their own.

In short, we suck.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Yup, same here. Just been moving from one project to the next non-stop for months now.

Even though I've put in more time on my map entry than on any single modeling project I've had, it's still not even fully blocked out (and forget about detailing). Mapping takes a long time to get right. <shrug>

As I said, though, I've resigned myself to not meeting the deadline. An extension would at least let me submit an unfinished alpha/pre-beta. It's really up to you guys, it's not like I have a shortage of things to work on in any case. :)

DonutVikingChap

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 15, 2013
I would also really love an extension.

I've tried to work on my map as much as possible since almost the beginning of the competition, but due to school work and my lack of experience in fast mapping I still haven't managed to finish a1, and I have a feeling I'm not the only one who's feeling a bit stressed right now. I've even been thinking of giving up entirely at this point and just finishing the map without the alien theme.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Never give a thanks again, EArkham.

UUFKBo9.png

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Okay, so here's the dealio with what we're doing.

Thanks to Bak and Egan for the quick suggestion, which we're going to implement.

The Deadline will remain Novemeber 10th, 2014. So you MUST have a working, compiled map submitted by then. However, there will be a ONE WEEK grace period, where you can update and change your maps as needed.

So, to recap: to be considered for the contest, you must have a WORKING, COMPILED MAP (not fullbright, working mechanics, doesn't crash, etc) by Novemeber 10th, 2014 at 7PM EST. If your map has been submitted by then, you are allowed to use the follow 1 week (until november 17th) as a grace period to work on your map.

I will keep the submission thread open for people to make any updates they feel necessary until Nov. 17th, when it will be locked. Any new submissions that were not submitted before the 10th will not be considered.

tl;dr: Submit your working map by the 10th, spend the next week polishing/cleaning it up.

Also, for those worried about the prop pack: the quality of the props will not affect your aesthetics score.

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
I know you want to control the art-style and stuff for this a lot, so I gotta ask.
Are you able to make a model for teleporters that work with the particle system? or would you prefer I make it myself.

A response asap would be appreciated.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I know you want to control the art-style and stuff for this a lot, so I gotta ask.
Are you able to make a model for teleporters that work with the particle system? or would you prefer I make it myself.

A response asap would be appreciated.

Try your best to stay with the current artstyle if you create your own. If you can't make it, just do a brushworky thing or a placeholder, and I'll see what I can do.

(So make your own, stay with the artstyle, may be changed later)

ibex

aa
Sep 1, 2013
The ufo/mothership model isn't in the current pack (#03) that you have posted in the op, and pack #02 doesn't have the mothership model either. Can you update the pack for some continuity.