TF2M Annual Major Contest # 3

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Hello, a perfectionist here. Does the flag push gamemode work so that blue can actually capture a BLUE flag? If so, I'll enter

Why dont you download the prefab cmf and take a look, it wont take you long to see how it works.

yes, its a blu flag

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Sorry, i was too lazy to read all text.. Are we allowed to use custom models/textures? If yes, it would be great!

Read all the text. I'm not gunna tell you until you do.

Immortal-D has taken the time to explain stuff, so how rude of you to say you're too lazy to take the time to read it.

BrokenTripod

L5: Dapper Member
May 11, 2009
Read all the text. I'm not gunna tell you until you do.

Immortal-D has taken the time to explain stuff, so how rude of you to say you're too lazy to take the time to read it.

I just skimmed over it a third time after reading it once (a while ago), and I'm pretty sure there's no mention of custom textures/models other than maybe using custom flag models or custom tf2maps logos (which you'd have to get verified before using!)

So, uh, I guess if it's not against the rules, you're allowed to?

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I didn't see anything either..

It is rather confusing. If it's anything like the previous PL contest, then only the TF2maps posters are acceptable. But then, we're allowed custom flags? There needs to be more definition on other user content usage.

I'm guessing since the rules are "rules too" rather than "rules to not" that we should assume that only the listed content is acceptable. But that really needs definition from an invigilator.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2009
I need a precision about what's allowed and what's not in the plant the flag game mode :

[*]Three stages, 2-3 caps in each

[...]

* push-CTF (ctf_): Number of flags/caps per stage must be at least 2, and at most 4. The total number of flags/caps (across all stages) must be at least 3, and at most 8.

Ok, first off, we are told there must be three stages, then 2 to 4 caps in each stage, which would make the total number of cap 6 to 12, then this is further restricted to 3 to 8, which doesn't make sense.

So I assume the number of stages isn't actually 3 but more like 1 to 3, with the total number of caps being 3 to 8 across all stages ?

Additionally, should it be needed for map balance, or as a matter of personal preference : are the timers (flag return timer, flag spawn timer after cap, etc...) modifiable or are they imposed. Right now they seem reasonable but you never know....:p

Aug 19, 2008
i will be entering, but one thing bothers me..
since we are trying to get a new gamemode going, why hang to the CTF tag
can´t we call it CPF or sth like that
1. many people avoid ctf
2. but they are always curious about new gamemodes... hence a new tag like CPF would spark some interest

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Loc n lol - you need three stages. you can have two or three captures in each. thats all you need to know, and since thats what the prefab uses that makes it much easier ;)

eerieone - because it is ctf_ adding a new prefix has multiple backfires:
1. It confuses the hell out of players (remember, your average player is a total retard)
2. It poses questions like "what does it stand for" when actually it doesn't matter what it stands for
3. People stay further away from new prefixes than they do twisted gamemodes.
4. Not to mention it shows up funny on the loading screen :p

people avoiding ctf is the very reason we're running this contest, to try and pump new life into ctf.

As far as custom content goes, you'll have to wait till ID gets to the thread since he's the one running it, he's calling the shots.

Zeewier

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 20, 2008
Is there a limit on the amount of entries? (I think I probably have time to make 1 for both gametypes)

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
* The cart may be any sensible cart sized model. I.e. the official bomb, snipergen's dirty bomb, the mining cars, the little alpine train thing, etc.

Why's this? I was looking forward to maps where, say, two freight trains race.

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
argh, the hardest thing about this is choosing which mode to do ;_;

that and the whole kaboodle about getting refinery and rivercrossing finished before i start another map XD

Jan 31, 2008
Formula.png

:)

Apr 13, 2009
Speaking of which...

* The judges' average ratings will be multiplied by a factor of .4, and the popular average ratings by a factor of .6. This means a 40%-60% split. They will be added together to achieve the maps' final ratings.

[...]

The entire formula for a map's rating is such:

((Voter's category scorings added up)/4)/(Number of votes) * .4 + ((Judges' category scorings added up)/4)/(Number of judges) *.6 = Final ranking. This formula will be published with all variables so that we all know it was a fair contest.

Which one weighs more ? The voters or the judges ? :p

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
why hang to the CTF tag
can´t we call it CPF or sth like that
I was the one that objected to a new prefix, on the grounds that CP is used for many different modes as it is.
My argument is that the prefix is used to denote the primary objective system, not explain how to play. CP uses zones you stand in to capture, PL uses a payload you push, CTF uses a flag you carry somewhere. (and for the record, I think it was silly for valve to not just use PL for pipeline)

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I hope you can use custom materials/models!

I don't want to be using the regular old capture point plate for CTF!

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I believe the only time you would need a new prefix is if it requires a unique HUD/element. Our CTF would just use the standard CTF HUD

Aug 19, 2008
but isn´t the ctf hud kinda obsolety, when only one intel is being used?
because the way i see it, it is more of a portable payload than a capture the flag

and honestly, since it has more of a cp feeling i would prefer a dustbowl-ish cp-hud