TF2M Annual Major Contest # 3

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
I think the idea behind 2+ was that for a single stage a split second cap time can be kinda jarring if its the only one, if you have two you know that once the first cap is gone (even if you didnt notice until the announcer says it) you then have garenteed time to get your arse in gear and defend the next point properly, then if its the last point that is capped without you realising it you already knew you should have been defending harder, if its only one point its always "oops.. oh, next stage :/"

EDIT: also it keeps continueity with tf2 as we know it and it's been proven to be fun.

Becuase if there was only 1 cp to defend, red would just turtle right out of the gate. There would absolutely no reason for them to venture out of sight of the only cap (presumably by there spawn too)

hmm...kinda aware of these...but the reasons why they might be bad for gameplay in the sense of a large stage was not what I was looking for, I wanted to know why they were disallowed by the contest

and most of those arguments correspond to a map the size of dustbowl where 2 caps make sense, what if their were 5-6 rounds with only one cap instead...

Last edited:

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
Just throwing this out there, if you don't map for the contest you can do whatever the heck you want.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Third, the judging criteria seems fairly counterproductive in my opinion. A map should be judged on 2 main things, fun (gameplay) and aesthetics - with fun being weighted significantly more IMO. Now, you can break that down however you'd like and fun would incorporate balance and gameflow and aesthetics would incorporate detailing and style, but the "fun factor" isn't really represented in the criteria. Seems like a person should be able to go say map A is better than map B, but with the current criteria, B may easily end up with more points even if everybody thinks A is a much better map.

Fun is a factor emergent from good design. Aesthetics is not only about beauty but also about beauty in design. You can have a water tunnel solve a problem in a map, but figuring out a unique, integrated pathway that accomplishes the same issue requires much more expertise both in planning and in execution.

If the map is well detailed, optimized and balanced, gameplay will run smoothly and players will shine. If the aesthetics and style match that of TF2, your players will have even more fun.

If you think that you can design a map to be fun without having the expertise to detail it, then I shall meet thee on the battlefield in this contest to prove thee wrong.

And when it comes down to it, the popular vote wins it all. People place votes based on their experiences. If you don't balance it to be pleasurable for players of all playtypes and class choices, they won't have fun. But if it's reached that mark, and then on top of it they realize how pretty your map is, that's what pushes you into the victor's arena.

Having partly designed the system, I am biased towards its protection. But in the end, it will be your own work and skills that are judged by your peers, not by the rules themselves.

Put forth your best effort, address the design criteria, and have a fair fight :)

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
:crying: *sniffle* That was so beautiful, lol.

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
That was more than inspiring.

...I'm gonna quit my job, install a toilet where my computer chair is, and map 24/7.

lol!

Aug 19, 2008
/bump myself because it went unanswered

i´ve started working on a gametype very similar to this 2 weeks ago (funny heh?)

but i made a twist to it, because as i see it, just capping the intel would be too easy and would make it barely defendable for red.
my setup was/is a mixup of cp and ctf,
blu could win by just capping the point, but the points take ages to cap, unless blu delivers the intel to a point behind the cp, which heavily reduces the CP´s capturetime, therefore red has the choice between defending the intel-capturezone or the control point. i found this modification to be more interesting and less linear than just insta-capping the intel.

now my question to the mods, would it be possible to make a twist like that and still enter the competition?

Inqwel

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 2, 2008
Would it be wrong if I made a new map for this with the name of an older one? (IE boondoggle.) I never released the older one at all. It be from scratch though, nothing pre-made before walking in, because that all went into a gravel-pit style map.

Shadowfield

L2: Junior Member
Aug 14, 2008
Ahem *clears throat*

I'd also like an answer too, it says our map can be either plr or ctf, but it doesn't say we can enter more than one map..

Dude, if you can pull of more than one map, they sure as hell better let you enter it.

On another note, contrary to my earlier post, I do believe that I will in fact make an attempt at a plr map. It will be simple, but hopefully it will be a good attempt at fun map.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
I do have a life outside of TF2 ya know :p Eerieone, I am not sure right now. With your variation, Blu wins by manually capping as per normal. The main idea is that insta-caps via flags adds a new dynamic. I think it's going to be harder for both teams, and that's part of the challenge for mappers & players alike. As for multiple entries, it's never come up before :blink: However, I think that should be ok. If you have the free time, more power to ya. Eerie, I'll talk it over w/ the powers that be ;) Right now I'm inclined to go with 'probly not', but never let it be said that I'm not open for debate.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
@errieone:

Just throwing this out there, if you don't map for the contest you can do whatever the heck you want.

Aug 19, 2008
@I-D:
sorry for being a pain in the arse :D i blame it on uber-eagerness and the itch in my fingers.

@Marr:
Sorry for asking and exploring the borders of the contest since there is a similarity between what i started and what is the current ruleset.
If you want to margue, don´t start with the defensive "just blabla.." and state a point that isn´t obvious...

Zeewier

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 20, 2008

Yes I will see them live this weekend :)

This will be the last post till next Wednesday, because of the festival :) (so I no longer have a head start :p )

Last edited:

Master of Spes

L1: Registered
Aug 17, 2008
Ah damn u need 3 stages for PLR. I had a good one stage map that I think would work well without any deathmatch nonsense. It will now have to be a part of three so two mini's and a large.